GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So who's got Mafia then?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/09/02 at 22:32
Regular
I decided to bite the bullet and dig deep this afternoon (read: I bought Mafia).

At first, I was thoroughly disappointed. After the game chose the recommended settings for my system, which were quite high, I thought 'great', but then 'not so great' when the game absolutely crawled on the first mission.
However, after a bit of tweakage with the settings, I realised that it was the 'hardware T&L' that was doing the damage, as all the street lamps at night were giving me poor ol' girl a bit of a hard time. Now though, the game's pretty smooth 98% of the time.
Second thought was that the initial, taxi-based missions were DULL! Still, I suppose it's only setting a bit of background...it gets A LOT more interesting once you actually join the Mafia!
Gameplay-wise, everything is pretty top notch, first-class entertainment so far, although I can't help thinking it's basically the same as GTA3 (with more action indoors) and the general handling of the vehicles can be really irritating at first. Still, stick at it and it comes eventually. :)

At the moment, I'm on a mission called 'The W***e' (I think)...no prizes for guessing what's roughly involved in this mission. ;) Having a bit of a hard time taking out/evading all the guards in the building, but once you get yourself a sawn-off shotgun, things get a fair bit easier.

Oh, and for all the perves out there, you'll be glad to here the female interaction hots up a bit at times. Don't forget, this game IS a 15. ;)
Sun 27/10/02 at 19:19
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The only problem I have with the game is that some of the missions can be bloody frustrating at times. To much time spent pressing the 'retry' button than actually playing the game, though I have to say this is only for a certain few missions, not all of them.

I much prefer this game to GTA3, mainly because the missions are far better in terms of variaty. GTA3 has samey missions throughout, it just doesn't have enough variaty to keep me coming back for more, it's a good game, but I feel Mafia betters it some areas.
Mon 21/10/02 at 01:10
well i bought mafia, put it on my pc, played it for a couple of days, got bored then gave it to my m8.
sorry, it just aint my cup of tea
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:56
Can anyone tell me where Yellow Petes is please!!!!?
Wed 09/10/02 at 12:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've checked around some of the Mafia forums and apparantly the devlopers will be releaseing a patch soon which will come with online support. Sounds interesting, but I don't know if it's just a rumour or not. Should be good if it is true.
Tue 08/10/02 at 22:32
Regular
"That's right!"
Shoot the wedges keeping them stationary, then they'll roll away
Tue 08/10/02 at 22:24
Does anyone know how to get past the mission, "You Lucky Ba$tard - Harbor" ? I've been trying to find a way to move the train, seems not to work. Any hints?
Sat 05/10/02 at 20:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Got the game the other day, it's been bloody fun so far, great game with allot of variaty. I'm going back to play it in a minute because it's so fun, top game.
Sat 28/09/02 at 16:04
"High polygon count"
Took me a while to find the way out of that bit. I just kept walking around until I did, though - can't remember it well enough to help, I'm afraid. You exit out onto a street through a different door to where you entered, though - after killing 2 or 3 dogs.

I won't spoil it too much, but when you do get out... get ready to run!

I've just sold my copy on eBay for £27. :-) An excellent game, but not enough to go back for once it's done.
Sat 21/09/02 at 16:24
Regular
"That's right!"
Right, I just shot that guy with the sniper rifle from the prison, but I have one small problem... How do I get out? I can't go down the manhole, the way I got in, and every other door is locked. Where do I go?
Sat 21/09/02 at 12:09
Regular
"That's right!"
I have to say, I've never had any problems with Sam and Paulie... I guess you've just been unlucky. And the crashes etc aren't bad AI, it's realism, as stupid people who do stupid things exist in real life

I played it for the first time in a long time last night, but the game crashed after I went back to the bar after dropping off Lucas' shot friend at the doc's... that made me angry

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.