GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No point"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 20:54
Regular
There is absolutley no point whats so ever for buying an Xbox now. With Microsoft making games for Xbox as well as the PC there's point in getting a Xbox if all the games that you want on it are to come to the PC a month after.

Nearly everyone has got a PC in their homes (otherwise we wouldn't be chating here now) so they don't need another console just for the games and the DVD drive because the PC has them all.

Also the PC won't catch fire if left on all day unlike the Xbox, which offers only a measly one hour 0f gameplay until it burns throught either the table or carpet.

So basically all you have to do is:
1: Wait an extra mnth for the game you want
2: It saves you £5- £10 pounds on a game
3: It saves you £150 on an Xbox (which could be used to buy a new graphics card instead
4: Can offer all day gameplay without burn marks on the furniture.
and 5: You can use the DVD player without paying another £30's on the controller.

This time I want positve responses from people who agree with what I have stated
Wed 04/09/02 at 02:44
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Well Halo's bound to be given some updates, buth graphically and
> otherwise. Still, I don't want it anyway.

ah well your loss, you brought a GC and have to miss all the good games. never mind.
Wed 04/09/02 at 02:17
Regular
Well Halo's bound to be given some updates, buth graphically and otherwise. Still, I don't want it anyway.
Wed 04/09/02 at 02:09
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
ah poor whitestripes looking a bit dumb again
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:44
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Whitestripes wrote:
> It's that sentence you see, it was badly worded and sounded like he
> was saying "What games do you want on the X-box that aren't
> actually on the PC?" Then you gave a list of games and I thought
> "What the...more than half of these are PC games!"
>
> Oh well.

Yeah I can see how you made the mistake. ;-) With what he said about Halo though - although true, at the same time it has that been out for ages thing that PS2 owners often say about certain ports that the X-Box and GC have grabbed.
Basically by the time PC owners are enjoying Halo, X-Box owners will be enjoying Halo 2 which will no doubt make the first game look pretty dated.
So its not all bad for X-Box owners when it comes to the release of Halo for PC. :-)

Would be kinda like PC players sticking their middle finger up at you cause they just got Mario 64 while your sitting down to Mario Sunshine.
;-))
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Maverick42 wrote:
> I think I understand - you mean like Final Fantasy for GC and PS2,
> Substance for X-Box and PS2, etc? Kind of like, semi-exclusives.

Yup. :-)

> Yeah, I get your point. At the moment, GC and X-Box have both got the
> same amount of exclusives and 'semi-exclusives' planned. All about a
> good mix.

Exactly - games like MGS and FF are massive sellers, so overall even if another console has them, you want these games to come as they can only strengthen your consoles line up. This includes games you might not like yourself - you might not like Halo, but I doubt you'd deny that it would help shift a good number of GC's if Nintendo got it. Same goes for me - I'm not a big fan of stuff like Tony Hawks and Colin Mcrae, but I'm more than happy to see them coming to the X-Box as there are plenty of people out there that love them and this will help the sales of the console I have, leading to more top games coming. :-)

> I'm not too fond of PC Gaming either. I could never get a decent
> online game going and I always felt better with a controller in my
> hands, rather than a mouse and keyboard.

Yeah same goes for me. I really don't like messing around with a keyboard and stuff to do all the controls. Besides your connection inside an online game, winners and losers can be decided on who has the better set up too. If I've got a cack control set up while you have the latest stuff to help you, you have an advantage over me. On a console, your all using the same controllers (or maybe a third party one but you get my point), so its all a level playing field.
The only games I like on PC are really the strategy games such as Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and C&C: Red Alert 2. :-)
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:31
Regular
> gerrid wrote:
> XBOX. Tell me what game you would want on this. Apart from Halo,
> which
> is coming out on PC anyway. Please, go on tell me.
>

It's that sentence you see, it was badly worded and sounded like he was saying "What games do you want on the X-box that aren't actually on the PC?" Then you gave a list of games and I thought "What the...more than half of these are PC games!"

Oh well.
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:24
Regular
savatt1668 wrote:
> And most of Nintendo's aren't ? The key is that the ones that are
> multiformat are shared with other consoles but a number are only
> shared with one other console instead of both the other competitors
> (i.e MGS: Substance).

I think I understand - you mean like Final Fantasy for GC and PS2, Substance for X-Box and PS2, etc? Kind of like, semi-exclusives.

> In the end it comes down to whose getting the best all round
> collection thats goes to your taste. All 3 consoles have their
> exclusives so besides looking in that area, you want a good number of
> quality third party titles as well.

Yeah, I get your point. At the moment, GC and X-Box have both got the same amount of exclusives and 'semi-exclusives' planned. All about a good mix.

> As for the games that are going to PC (or indeed even already exist),
> the bonus of playing them on a console is that you don't have the
> worry in the back of your head that the game will crash at any
> moment.
> I hate playing on PC's for this reason.

I'm not too fond of PC Gaming either. I could never get a decent online game going and I always felt better with a controller in my hands, rather than a mouse and keyboard.
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:22
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Whitestripes wrote:
> If this wasn't what you two were talking about then ignore it, it was
> a bit hard trying to figure out what that sentence actually meant..*_*

Yeah I was wondering what you were trying to get accross. ;-))

When you said I don't know much about PC games then told me whats out and that RTCW is a PC game, I was thinking "whys he saying this ? I never said it wasn't". ;-)

Basically I didn't include the PC games cause I was talking about the 3 consoles. At the same time though I don't consider that to make certain X-Box games exclusive as like you said, they're on PC.

But for overall gaming on a console, I think X-Box has a really good mixture of titles with some big top names coming to it. As you said yourself, you'd have to be stupid to not recognise the likes of Counter-Strike and your right.
For the people who own an X-Box and are looking forward to online play, its great to see the line up that Microsoft have on the way. :-)

Unlike most on here, my PC is cack (until I get a new one) so for me, a lot of these games are very exciting as I don't get to play the likes of Counter Strike online. I've played loads of PC games and know whats out, but unless I play them at a friends house (like I did after buying Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds), I basically have to miss out.

Plus as I've said, I don't really like to play games on PC's as they have a lot more risk of crashing than a console.
Anyway, hope I cleared up what I was talking about at least a little more. :-)
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:18
Regular
I have to agree. Every time I use my computer, for net, gaming or both, or sometimes even just to type a letter, I always have that feeling at the back of my mind, that something is about to go wrong on my PC.

Thankfully, my computer is fairly decent (it better be, I paid good money for it at the time) and although 10 months after buying, it's not exactly the fastest model anymore, it's hardly ever crashed - infact I haven't even defragged it yet (might be an idea for tomorrow....)

Whereas consoles I don't expect them to crash. I feel conifident that I can play as long as I like without experiencing faults and crashes (except when using unofficial hardware).
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:12
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Edgy wrote:

> I've so far not managed to crash the GameCube, but there's always the
> possibility. No technology is fullproof.

Of course not - consoles can crash. But I'm sure you'll agree that crashing is something that a LOT more frequent on a PC game than on a console. Incidently, I had a PS2 that crashed like twice and my GC I had crashed once when I was playing Rogue Leader.

But I've never really played a console with this worry, whereas on a PC I'm always waiting for it to happen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.