GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft buy Rare?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
Thought you guys would be intrested in this if you haven't already see it

Please not that none of this article has been confirmed yet, and it's all just rumour.

Activision didn't have enough money, but Bill 'Richie Rich' Gates's company was willing to knock down 350 million for them. This is about 500 million Euro/dollar.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. A deal was made, and Microsoft will make make a big announcement at their X02 event in Seville later this month, where the company will showcase new exclusive Xbox titles.

The rumour continues. Perfect Dar Zero will be developed exclusively for Xbox. That would also be the reason why we haven't heard from it anymore since last year's E3.

Hmmmmm is this true, you guess is as good as mine.
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Boz wrote:
> Someone was going on about nintys changeing their veiws on rare that
> kept N64 alive.
>
> Well we are not they arnt the same rare, most good ones left to
> radicla design.
>
> Anyone who has PD go and play on the last few levels and most would
> see why it isnt such a big thing.

Its just interesting to see this point now when a few months back, we were getting comments along the line of "we have Rare so up your spout".

I didn't like all of Rare's titles and I'm not going to do so suddenly just because Microsoft may have signed them up. I've always really liked Conker's BFD, I enjoyed Goldeneye in its time and I thought Perfect Dark was ok, but not the best FPS I've played.
I'll be happy if Rare do turn out to be with Microsoft because they'll attract more people to the X-Box and also attract some younger gamers that enjoyed the likes of Diddy Kong and Banjo Kazooie.

I remember Microsoft saying they wanted to provide for all ages eventually, but as can be expected, they're starting off by concentrating solely on their target audience. If Rare do develop for the X-Box, then this will no doubt bring another audience to the console.
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:00
Regular
Don't be silly.

Only a few members left Rare for Free Radical, and various other breakaway teams. It means little. Rare still made Perfect Dark without them.

All companies have a huge turnover in staff with people going in and out.
Anyway, new Rare employees learn the tricks of the trade, so when by the time one leaves, there is another great designer/programmer/artist etc to take their place.

Anyway, this rumour isn't fully confirmed.
If it is though, I WILL be getting an Xbox.

It makes sense in lots of ways.

Rare like to stick out, and they've got just the sort of initiative and imagination that MS needs - they can't reley on Sega for ALL of their original and imaginative titles...
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:22
I see
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:18
Regular
Someone was going on about nintys changeing their veiws on rare that kept N64 alive.

Well we are not they arnt the same rare, most good ones left to radicla design.

Anyone who has PD go and play on the last few levels and most would see why it isnt such a big thing.
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:14
lol
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:12
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Why are all nintys complaining about Rare moving to Xbox?
>
> I thought you lot said that "The GC has the best games
> ever"........

errrrr yeah just what i was gonna point out :)
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:10
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Why are all nintys complaining about Rare moving to Xbox?
>
> I thought you lot said that "The GC has the best games
> ever"........

The thing is, it's going to be sad to see Rare go. They're just as innovative as Nintendo, and are almost a part of the big N, as they work closely together in some projects. I'm annoyed that if this does happen, only people who have enough money to shell out on another console will be able to experience Rare's quality games. I also don't recall saying 'The GC has the best games ever'...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how many X-Boxers go and buy Rare's games after saying they're childish and terrible.
Sun 08/09/02 at 14:36
LMAO
Sun 08/09/02 at 11:02
Regular
Why are all nintys complaining about Rare moving to Xbox?

I thought you lot said that "The GC has the best games ever"........
Sun 08/09/02 at 10:04
Regular
"Festivus!"
Tribute wrote:
> I am not one for shoot-em-up's, but perfect dark looks as good as hell
> :)

Sorry, it was late, i meant SOUNDS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.