GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft buy Rare?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
Thought you guys would be intrested in this if you haven't already see it

Please not that none of this article has been confirmed yet, and it's all just rumour.

Activision didn't have enough money, but Bill 'Richie Rich' Gates's company was willing to knock down 350 million for them. This is about 500 million Euro/dollar.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. A deal was made, and Microsoft will make make a big announcement at their X02 event in Seville later this month, where the company will showcase new exclusive Xbox titles.

The rumour continues. Perfect Dar Zero will be developed exclusively for Xbox. That would also be the reason why we haven't heard from it anymore since last year's E3.

Hmmmmm is this true, you guess is as good as mine.
Mon 09/09/02 at 15:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
~Res~ wrote:
> bloody hell sav make a point while don't you. do you think your
> average ninty can read all that?

I can...

Then again, by the way you talk I seriously doubt you can read it!
Mon 09/09/02 at 15:05
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
bloody hell sav make a point while don't you. do you think your average ninty can read all that?
Mon 09/09/02 at 12:54
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
But again - would you buy games if they were excellent in playability but had characters such as Mickey Mouse, Seasame Street or the Muppets ?

A game can be playable, but in the end the imagination of the game can be just as important as it can make certain games stand out from the rest in its genre. Everytime a release list comes out, everyone tends to condemn certain titles on the name (i.e Disney games), despite the fact that they could end up being good games playability wise.
At the same time people will say "Disney games are always shat" which may or may not be true because I don't play them and can't say which way. But then, these people will say "Wow, can't wait for that Star Wars game !" and most of the time, you end up with a crap result when it comes to that license.
Most of the time, a Star Wars game will be a big disappointment, but people carry on looking forward to games with that license as they love the Star Wars story.

At the end of the day, just because people don't want to play as a fluffy bear whose saving the wibbly wobblies from certain destruction in a hugely playable game doesn't make them ar5eholes and doesn't make them any less of a gamer.
A gamer is a person who plays games and enjoys them - not someone who follows Nintendo everywhere no matter what they do and loves playing as the fluffy bear.
Its like films and TV - just because a Transformers cartoon might have an immersive storyline, doesn't mean everyone should sit down and watch it, otherwise they're not real TV watchers.

Mario doesn't appeal to me as much anymore, F-Zero on the otherhand does. I tend to lean towards action games, mech games and Star Wars, etc. At one time I would have picked up the likes of Banjo or Mario anytime, but those characters and stories don't really appeal to me much now.
As I said, Conker's was different for me cause it made me laugh - not cause it made me feel grown up. It was a hugely playable game just like Banjo and Mario, but it also had a story and setting that drew me in.

I know what you said wasn't aimed at me Strafex, but I still think its a point that needs to be made because too many Ninties seem to think that they're in some god like gamer status because they're playing games purely on their playability no matter what the characters and yet they shove aside things just like everyone else.

The difference is that they don't like it when people have that attitude towards the games they love playing and throw their nut at people over it.
I mean look at the advertising campaigns of Nintendo - things like the Mario Sunshine advert in the States. Nintendo know their core audience and you can't tell me for one second that that advert is aiming to portray the game as a great game for everyone.

This "Adults get scared too" campaign for Resi Evil looks a bit dodgy too. Kind of tells you where Luigi's Mansion was aimed.
Mon 09/09/02 at 10:21
Regular
The "I'm all big and grown up" micky take wasn't quite aimed at you, but it's still not right that you choose your games down to their setting rather than their gameplay.

That's why I like good games for what they are, not because of their setting.

I enjoy both Halo (at a friends house) and Smash Brothers in the multiplayer department. It's the gameplay that makes it, not the setting.
Mon 09/09/02 at 00:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Intoxicated Hippy wrote:
> When was the last time you saw an episode of Sesame Street with a camp
> frog that the storyline keeps hinting at is gay, he's lost his
> 'partner', he wears a sailor outfit and he waves his hands around more
> than someone who's trying to pull at the Blue Oyster Bar.

And that has what relevence to the point I was making ?
Mon 09/09/02 at 00:23
Savatt78 wrote:

> Banjo, for me, is a game more suited to a younger audience. Not like
> 3 or anything, but around 8 - 14.

If you actually took the time to play games like Banjo Tooie then you'd find that Rare have packed them full of Adult humour, it's just more subtle than games like Conker cause the game is for younger players too.

When was the last time you saw an episode of Sesame Street with a camp frog that the storyline keeps hinting at is gay, he's lost his 'partner', he wears a sailor outfit and he waves his hands around more than someone who's trying to pull at the Blue Oyster Bar.
Sun 08/09/02 at 23:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I enjoyed Conker's more because it had a sense of humour I found really funny. Not so much the swearing, but the humour of it and the way it spoofed films, etc.

Banjo, for me, is a game more suited to a younger audience. Not like 3 or anything, but around 8 - 14. The game is fine to play, but the general atmosphere of the game and its story will appeal more to younger people than it will older people. Its not a statement of saying "I'm grown up and games like that are stupid", but like gummi bear cartoons, people tend to lose interest in the cute bubbly storylines and even characters.

Banjo might play well, in fact it shares plenty in common with Conker's, but the difference is that Conker's made me laugh - out loud.
I mean, if a seasame street game came out and it was a really good game as far as the playability goes, would you be running out to buy it ?

I enjoyed JSRF which has cell shaded graphics and its probably one of the best games on the X-Box. It had characters that gave it a certain atmosphere that I enjoyed experiencing.

A game can play really well, but if its world and characters don't grab you, then this can effect your interest in the game. Of course for you, Mario delivers, whereas its not for me. This isn't so much me making a statement of "I'm big and grown up", its just that Mario's world doesn't really appeal to me so much.
Conker's had the cute looking characters in it, but as I said, it had a humour that made me laugh and added to my enjoyment of the game.
Sun 08/09/02 at 23:18
I wouldn't trying to explain to some of the twits that just cause a game has cartoony graphics does not mean it's a childish game. It seems too much for some fools to get their brains around.
Sun 08/09/02 at 23:11
Regular
Exactly what I was going to say, Strafex.
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:54
Regular
Sheesh!

Just because Rare's platformers are cartoony, why does that mean they're for the younger audience?

Is Conker only "mature" because he swears?
That's the sort of thing I'd expect from the 8 year olds who thought they were grown up because they stayed up late to watch South Park...

Rare make games for everyone who likes games - just like Nintendo.
People play Mario Kart and Smash Brothers as much as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark in the multplayer department.

And just because PD's last 3 levels were imperfect, the game still rocked otherwise. Rare are basically Nintendo with a western twist.
In some ways, they don't quite match up to the big N, but they certainly bring Nintendo magic to places where Nintendo don't personally go.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.