GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Charity"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/11/00 at 13:11
Regular
Just had a brilliant idea. Christmas soon, but just think about all those poor kids who won't be at home for that special day. Stuck in hospital or whatever. Here's the deal.

For the first 2 weeks in December, all Gameaday winners donate their winnings to Great Ormond Street Hospital for the kids there to reap the benefit of, from us. If we all agree to this, then perhaps we can lobby SR to send a console along with it, like a DC or something.

At least that way those guys know that someone is thinking of them, and it should make them a little happier over the festive period whilst the rest of us are burning turkeys and pulling crackers. I'm up for it. Should I win between the 1st and the 14th December then I'd happily donate my prize to them, as long as SR agree to it and send a console along too. Anyone else?
Fri 24/11/00 at 16:20
Regular
"Excommunicated"
See how the others are not joining in ie. Grix, Ant etc. and they have already won 3 times!
Fri 24/11/00 at 16:18
Thanks Ali , and Everyone else at Special reserve... and you too FantasyMeister, without you this would not have been possible. Im sure this good will gesture will make alot of kids very happy.
Fri 24/11/00 at 15:31
I wholeheartedly agree with this whole thing - it's a great gesture and it renews my faith in you lot. This is real Christmas spirit right here. You don't have to go through us to give stuff to charity as well, you can just send them your games and anything else you want to give away.

I'm very pleased that you all have offered to donate your prizes to charity, you will feel so much better than you would playing it yourself. Thanks a lot for bringing this idea to fruition - try and get as many people as you can interested.

Fri 24/11/00 at 15:23
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Wow, the do-Wap-do-Wap thing won! (??). I emailed Gameaday to request they implement Tony's idea of starting a charity pool, with this win being the first contribution. (I'm not likely to win again for a while, so figure this is a good a time as any to get it going.)

Hopefully they'll agree, if they don't, I'll put in a claim for a game and keep you posted on which charity it goes to. (Sob)
Fri 24/11/00 at 11:00
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I had no idea that everyone was into charity that much, ........oh what the hell if I win I will give my game away I have got a lot anyway! but not Great Ormond Street for mine please no offence I live in Scotland and would like to give it to a hospital up here!
Thu 23/11/00 at 23:19
Come on we need more people to agree to this Great Ormond Street Thing, also

While your all in the Charity mood visit

http://www.therainforestsite.com/

On this site you can click to Donate Rainforest,
Help Kids with AIDS, Help women get free Mamograms(screen for breastcancer), Donate Food to the Hungry, and get vitamin pills to Poorly children in the Third World so they dont die of vitamin Deficiency.
AND ALL THE ABOVE IS DONE FOR FREE JUST BUY CLICKING ON THE SITE, ALTHOUGH YOU CAN ONLY DO IT ONCE A DAY,

Go on do your Good deed for the day, it wont cost you a penny??
Thu 23/11/00 at 19:19
Regular
When I was working for BT in 1996, they did this charitable thing with the Friends and Family scheme by making it FREE instead of customers having to pay £5.00 a month for it. This was a week after I started working for the complaints section. Now where you know where the word 'cynicism' derives from......
Thu 23/11/00 at 19:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
In 1985 I was working for British Telecom. The marketing guys there came up with a brilliant scheme.

They would donate a Spectrum, a TV and a case of 20 Firebird games to a children's hospital as part of the Noel Edmunds show on Christmas morning, to get us on TV.

No no I said, don't do this please, but they decided to go ahead anyway and made all the arrangements.

On Christmas morning guess what? The marketing guy was sick and could not make it. So muggins here had to go instead.

I would not have minded at all taking the present to the hospital. But I really did not want this tie up with TV.

I have never ever felt such a pr*tt in my entire life. It was OBVIOUS that the only reason we were giving this stuff to the hospital was to get on TV.

Or was I supposed to pretend it was just a co-incidence that we were there at the same time as Noel Edmunds.

Giving to charity is fine, but not for the purpose of gaining publicity. That cheapens the charity and exposes the greed behind the gesture.

On the offchance that I win the Gameaday for this post I will be the first to take up Fantasy's brilliant idea!
Thu 23/11/00 at 19:02
Regular
Thankyou, Tony.
Thu 23/11/00 at 18:56
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
This is great I AGREE I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great idea. Especially the full kit one!
If I win put it in the pool!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.