GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battlefield Bad Company - Gold Edition?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield: Bad Company'.
Fri 23/05/08 at 10:22
Regular
"THFC"
Battlefield Bad Company, as many of you will know is going to be a big, FPS set in modern warfare, with 90% destructable enviroments and beautiful graphics, its the first big contender for Call of Duty 4.

Some of you may have played Battlefield 2 on the PC and if you have then i am sure you fell in love with it just like i did, and that the release of Bad Company has you biting your nails in anticipation. It looks to be much more like the loved PC version and less like the console versions, while the console versions were good, they just didnt live up to its big brother.

The release of Bad Company has been put back and back, but with it now in sight im growing more and more impatient until i can finally play on my Ps3, with a good FPS, like Call of Duty 4 BUT i have veichles! Helicopters, Tanks, Trucks, the full works (except planes!!) but this should inject a new bit of life into the shooting genre. While Call of Duty 4 has been nothing less than excellent i think Battlefield could be the one to top it!

Thats enough about how much i love the game, now onto the real subject at hand. For the same amount of money - £39.99, you can purchase a Gold Edition of the game. Now after hearing rumours and different stories i have finally gotten to the truth and learnt that this is the extra you get:

Get into the fight quickly - the Gold Edition includes five multiplayer weapons, normally at rank 25, available for immediate use on the battlefield.

Know the battlefield - eight multiplayer map strategy videos are included covering everything from basic to advanced covering all the strategic depth of the gameplay.

Behind the scenes - a documentary with a fascinating insight into the production of Bad Company, from early concepts to the finished game.

Exclusive Smiley Grenade poster and gold metal case packaging bring the Gold Edition to life.

Now for me this is all well and good, a nice poster, a documentary if your into that kind of thing, but the fact for the same money you can just pretty much cheat and be online from the start with level 25 guns while everyone who wants to "earn their stripes" has to put up with it. I just think its a bit of a stupid idea, i mean if you aint good enough at the start then play more, get better and earn the guns and meadals as you progress, surely this is what gives the game is longevity and excitement.

I don't know how everyone else feels about this but i will not be getting the Gold Edition, while i think the steel gold case would be ncie and special editions are always a good one to have as they hold money better. I just disagree with the decsion of giving the guns away so cheaply, i think that through hard work and dedication to the game you should be rewarded.

I am interested in what everyone has to think on this, as i could understand a bit more if it was more expensive as a marketing move, but for no extra money? I cant see why they wouldnt want people playing it longer to keep their game on top.
Wed 11/06/08 at 10:08
Regular
"THFC"
hmmm yea i use a bluetooth headset but its not too bad, pretty comfortable, not used it on Battlefield, only used it on Call of Duty 4.

Finding a lot of people are team killing on Battlefield which gets really annoying, just so they can get on the missile thing if your on it
Wed 11/06/08 at 10:05
"possibly impossible"
I'll certainly try to get the points. Single player on the demo is so short, which is a shame, was just getting in to it (but I guess that's the idea). Need to get my microphone working properly for multi-player, though. The PS-Eye microphone has been working for games up till now (saves having to use an annoying bluetooth earpiece) but it's not doing anything at the moment.
Wed 11/06/08 at 10:01
Regular
"THFC"
ah right - i dont know when the demo ends but if you can reach level 4 then an extra gun has got to be worth it!

but you need 140,000,000 points to get to level 5, so no real point trying to level up beyond level 4, just waiting to see how to get the other guns in more detail form the website
Wed 11/06/08 at 09:56
"possibly impossible"
No, haven't really played long enough as yet.
Wed 11/06/08 at 09:52
Regular
"THFC"
I am lucky that my girlfriend doesnt mind watching me on it. But i am just waiting for the full version now - knowing that the stats are goign to be reset it just doesnt feel the same knifing someone to get their dog tags!

have you reached level 4 yet??
Wed 11/06/08 at 09:42
"possibly impossible"
Playing again last night. Unfortunately, I don't always have that long to play games and have to wait for the wife to go to bed before using the PS3 anyway.
Wed 11/06/08 at 08:08
Regular
"THFC"
if people want the gold edition i can understand but i have a very short attention span and unlocking guns and getting medals will keep me on a game, if not i am liable to get bored and buy a new one, and that gets expensive!

I unlocked the 2nd sniper rifle in the demo, faster fire rate but less damage, but i prefer using it!

Just can't wait for the full version, knife people for the dog tags, get medals, awards. Going to be a very good game
Tue 10/06/08 at 16:26
"possibly impossible"
Did the same, but the Gold Edition that you seem to have a slight aversion to! I don't see the problem of getting the big guns early on, more than likely I won't even use most of them and will resort to a decent machine gun.

Oh, and I'm sure there's more than one Sniper rifle in the game, wouldn't make sense to restrict it to just one you can't get unless you pre-order.
Tue 10/06/08 at 16:18
Regular
"THFC"
pb wrote:
> Not sure who it was, but I saw an ad for one company offering
> them on pre-order. Could have been GAME or HMV or Play...
>
> Edit: But not really worth the hassle of ordering somewhere just
> for one weapon I think...

Yea - i was lucky enough to be able to use a Gameaday win to pre-order it so for the sake of a gun (which i reckon will be unlockable) shame it is the sniper rifle, would rather it have been the assualt rifle or something lol - dont really use that kit much
Tue 10/06/08 at 15:57
"possibly impossible"
Not sure who it was, but I saw an ad for one company offering them on pre-order. Could have been GAME or HMV or Play...

Edit: But not really worth the hassle of ordering somewhere just for one weapon I think...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.