GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-BOX- Is it "Doomed"?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
The X-Box is on shakey ground at the moment, not just here in this continent of Europe, but combined: All over the world, despite successful occasions in the US.
With sales figures released last week of the Nintendo Gamecube in Europe from "Release day, to now", it really puts into contrast of how the X-box is fairing here in this continent.

Consider this, as from last week, the Nintendo Gamecube in Europe has managed to sell a pretty impressive: 1 MILLION UNITS!, the X-Box however till now, has managed to shift just under 500-000 units....And... that particular console was released 3 MONTHS before the Gamecube, it had a headstart.
Up against the popularity of the Gamecube, the X-Box has failed.
But yet, that is just Europe (The biggest gaming area in the world). What about Japan?

In Japan we are getting sales figures fluctuating around the 4000 mark or lower-per-week for X-Box, the Gamecube is sitting around the 20,000 mark per week and the mightey Sony PS2 and Nintendo GBA is sitting around the 30,000 mark. The X-box seems far behind.
Now where does this leave the console? Yes, as I've already mentioned, the console is successful in the U.S.A, but being successful in just one market isn't enough, you need to have considerable success all over the world- The X-Box, so far isn't that.

With the upcoming releases of Final Fantasy XI (And other Quirkey but massively successful Japanese RPG's) for PS2 and the Releases of Zelda, Mario, Metroid and the Resident Evil exclusives for the Gamecube the future of the X-Box is looking ever more grim. With titles like that, it would ensure more PS2's and GC's being sold and the X-Box left in the lurch even more-so.

But really what can be done?
'There are' wonderful games for it, there are wonderful games in development too, but in reality it all smells of another Dreamcast to me. A wonderful system being trodden into the ground from two Behemoths of gaming.
The Dreamcast was a stunner of a console, in fact I would go as far to say that it was my favourite console after the Super Nintendo (Skies of Arcadia anyone?), but it didn't matter in the end what I or any one else though how great it was, what happened was the abandonment of the hardware and with the X-Box, the same is possible... very possible.
To me, the situation that Microsoft's beauty (Yes I'll call it a Beauty)is in is all too familiar.
Over the past month or so I hoped I was wrong, but now I know I'm not. I've seen enough from the consoles release to now to convince me that the console is shaping its future to abscurity. Dreamcast style.
The X-Box is Doomed.
Wed 07/08/02 at 23:26
Regular
SEGA where drowning in debt and had no choice but to pull the Dreamcast.
Microsoft use 100 dollar bills to wipe their ar$e - I don't think failure is a word they understand.

Games like Blinx, Project Ego, Brute Force, BC, Halo 2 will cement them in the console market. Not to mention their online plans.

I don't think the XBOX is doomed. Don't forget this is their 1st console. All they truly can expect to achieve is just to get a foothold in the market. Once they've achieved this, then they'll release the world-consuming demon that will be the XBOX 2.
Wed 07/08/02 at 23:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Even Digitiser has commented that the Xbox's future is looking uncertain. If a console does badly during the "launch period" it NEVER recovers.
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:51
Regular
NO its is not doomed so why don't you go do something else with your time than writing petty posts like this! Would Bill Gates have invested £2 billion of his personal funds into the Xbox over the next 2 years if it was doomed? Would Xbox Live be launching at the end of this year to bring console gaming up to a different level? Would the release calendar look as good as it does if the console was failing? It amazes me what goes on in the heads of people like you, what are you thinking? You are dominated by *EARLY OPINIONS* of the Xbox, but take a look now and you will see that the Xbox is now shifting 41% more Xbox consoles each week... *WORLD-WIDE*!

It all comes back around to that magic 5 letter word, *SALES*! Yes without sales consoles would not survive the market (Dreamcast was a superb console but due to sales it did fail) but the Xbox isn't doing drastically, is it? The console is number one in Oceana, currently out selling every other console in America and the Japanese are at last starting to realise what a good console the Xbox is. I don't know where you got those figures from but in Japan they are now shifting between 8-10 thousand units per week.

Let me guess you are a GameCube owner surprise surprise! I didn't quite catch the bit about the Dreamcast, I have a Dreamcast and believe me, after owning a PS2 for 9 months it doesn't even come close to what the Dreamcast can do, if failing consoles are what the Xbox and Dreamcast are then so be it, but if this is failure I can't wait to see what a success is!
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
The X-Box is on shakey ground at the moment, not just here in this continent of Europe, but combined: All over the world, despite successful occasions in the US.
With sales figures released last week of the Nintendo Gamecube in Europe from "Release day, to now", it really puts into contrast of how the X-box is fairing here in this continent.

Consider this, as from last week, the Nintendo Gamecube in Europe has managed to sell a pretty impressive: 1 MILLION UNITS!, the X-Box however till now, has managed to shift just under 500-000 units....And... that particular console was released 3 MONTHS before the Gamecube, it had a headstart.
Up against the popularity of the Gamecube, the X-Box has failed.
But yet, that is just Europe (The biggest gaming area in the world). What about Japan?

In Japan we are getting sales figures fluctuating around the 4000 mark or lower-per-week for X-Box, the Gamecube is sitting around the 20,000 mark per week and the mightey Sony PS2 and Nintendo GBA is sitting around the 30,000 mark. The X-box seems far behind.
Now where does this leave the console? Yes, as I've already mentioned, the console is successful in the U.S.A, but being successful in just one market isn't enough, you need to have considerable success all over the world- The X-Box, so far isn't that.

With the upcoming releases of Final Fantasy XI (And other Quirkey but massively successful Japanese RPG's) for PS2 and the Releases of Zelda, Mario, Metroid and the Resident Evil exclusives for the Gamecube the future of the X-Box is looking ever more grim. With titles like that, it would ensure more PS2's and GC's being sold and the X-Box left in the lurch even more-so.

But really what can be done?
'There are' wonderful games for it, there are wonderful games in development too, but in reality it all smells of another Dreamcast to me. A wonderful system being trodden into the ground from two Behemoths of gaming.
The Dreamcast was a stunner of a console, in fact I would go as far to say that it was my favourite console after the Super Nintendo (Skies of Arcadia anyone?), but it didn't matter in the end what I or any one else though how great it was, what happened was the abandonment of the hardware and with the X-Box, the same is possible... very possible.
To me, the situation that Microsoft's beauty (Yes I'll call it a Beauty)is in is all too familiar.
Over the past month or so I hoped I was wrong, but now I know I'm not. I've seen enough from the consoles release to now to convince me that the console is shaping its future to abscurity. Dreamcast style.
The X-Box is Doomed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.