GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-BOX- Is it "Doomed"?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
The X-Box is on shakey ground at the moment, not just here in this continent of Europe, but combined: All over the world, despite successful occasions in the US.
With sales figures released last week of the Nintendo Gamecube in Europe from "Release day, to now", it really puts into contrast of how the X-box is fairing here in this continent.

Consider this, as from last week, the Nintendo Gamecube in Europe has managed to sell a pretty impressive: 1 MILLION UNITS!, the X-Box however till now, has managed to shift just under 500-000 units....And... that particular console was released 3 MONTHS before the Gamecube, it had a headstart.
Up against the popularity of the Gamecube, the X-Box has failed.
But yet, that is just Europe (The biggest gaming area in the world). What about Japan?

In Japan we are getting sales figures fluctuating around the 4000 mark or lower-per-week for X-Box, the Gamecube is sitting around the 20,000 mark per week and the mightey Sony PS2 and Nintendo GBA is sitting around the 30,000 mark. The X-box seems far behind.
Now where does this leave the console? Yes, as I've already mentioned, the console is successful in the U.S.A, but being successful in just one market isn't enough, you need to have considerable success all over the world- The X-Box, so far isn't that.

With the upcoming releases of Final Fantasy XI (And other Quirkey but massively successful Japanese RPG's) for PS2 and the Releases of Zelda, Mario, Metroid and the Resident Evil exclusives for the Gamecube the future of the X-Box is looking ever more grim. With titles like that, it would ensure more PS2's and GC's being sold and the X-Box left in the lurch even more-so.

But really what can be done?
'There are' wonderful games for it, there are wonderful games in development too, but in reality it all smells of another Dreamcast to me. A wonderful system being trodden into the ground from two Behemoths of gaming.
The Dreamcast was a stunner of a console, in fact I would go as far to say that it was my favourite console after the Super Nintendo (Skies of Arcadia anyone?), but it didn't matter in the end what I or any one else though how great it was, what happened was the abandonment of the hardware and with the X-Box, the same is possible... very possible.
To me, the situation that Microsoft's beauty (Yes I'll call it a Beauty)is in is all too familiar.
Over the past month or so I hoped I was wrong, but now I know I'm not. I've seen enough from the consoles release to now to convince me that the console is shaping its future to abscurity. Dreamcast style.
The X-Box is Doomed.
Sat 17/08/02 at 16:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yes, the Xbox is doomed. Why?

Because 5, 6, 7, 8, however many years down the line, the 'sequel' will be released, and the current generation will be redundant with no titles coming out for them. All consoles are doomed. Well, until Consoles become so much like PCs that you can keep the same 'base' and just replace aspects of it like Graphics cards, hard-drives, etc. with the latest models. But I can't see that happening for a long time. Can you?
Sat 17/08/02 at 15:08
Regular
Hmm.. the X-Box as a console is fantastic, and in terms of specs, outstrips the PS2 and GameCube overall (though the GameCube can actually better it in some areas).

It's not about consoles, it's about games. With Halo coming out on the PC, Microsoft have already lost they're best game to their target audience - PC gamers.

I don't think the X-Box will fail, but the future launch titles look poor against the GameCube's and PS2's. I don't think the X-Box will catch up with the PS2, but X-Box Live will keep it steady and on par with GameCube.
Tue 13/08/02 at 14:05
Regular
Exactly,When i brought my xbox i did'nt spend hours researching sales i just went out and brought it, never regretted it since. I brought it because of its games and the line up of them aswell with the added multimedia capabilitys its my fave console. Well after years of gaming these are my top 10 consoles: -

1.XBOX
2.Gameboy Advance
3.Gamecube
4.SNES
5.Sega Mega Drive
6.Sega Master System
7.Gameboy
8.Sega Dreamcast
9.N64
10.PS2
Tue 13/08/02 at 13:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Who cares about sales anyway?

I don't. Actually I don't give a monkey's whether or not the x-box becomes an expensive flop or the no. selling console of all time, because I'm not getting one nor am I intending on getting one in the foreseeable future.

Instead I play on the two consoles I do have and enjoy them, as apposed to getting caught up in silly and pointless arguments like the one here, where people try in vain to change other peoples minds about the console they are talking about.
Tue 13/08/02 at 13:04
Regular
beanz wrote:
> gamecube isn't doing that brilliantly at the moment from what i can
> remember...it's sales figures in japan have been pretty poor (i think
> at one point even worse than xbox)...

Yep and the X-box was doing well at the time... look last month the Wonderswan was level pegging the unstoppable GBA, it is a very unpredictable market over there.

> the problem with BOTH consoles (gc and xbox) is that they're running
> through a very dry period -good games wise
> and launch games wise i actually prefer the xbox ones a lot more to
> the gc ones...but imo the only good games on xbox at the moment ARE
> the launch games.

Nintendo's launch games are awesome but come christmas they won't even be in my top 10.

> the ps2 at least has the odd good game getting released every so
> often.
> anyway i have all three consoles so i naturally hope they all succeed
> :D...just keep the good games rolling and i'll be happy

The PS2 is just going through that boring same old period.
Tue 13/08/02 at 12:58
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Sigh.
> List of excellent games that i want coming out on the xbox: -
>
> Halo 2
> Project Gotham Racing 2
> Unreal Championship
> Project Ego
> Morrowind
> Black & White next genaration
> Splinter Cell
> Metal Gear Solid 2
> Dead to rights
> Sega Soccer Slam
> Blinx Time Sweeper
> BC
> Steel Battalion
> Commandos 2
> Colin Macrae Rally 3
> Deathrow
> Crazy Taxi 3 High Roller
> Panzer Dragoon Orta
> Hitman 2
> Star Wars galaxies
> Timesplitters 2
> Street Hoops
> Midtown Madness 3
> Turok Evolution
> The Thing
> Silent Hill 2 Inner Fears
> Racing Evolution
> Shenmue 2
> Mech Assault

IS THAT IT??????

Compare it to my shopping list:

Turok Evolution
Resident Evil
Doshin The Giant
Timesplitters 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Starfox Adventures
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
Metroid Prime
Wario's World
Wavebird controller
Medal of Honour
Soul Calibur 2
Super Monkey Ball 2
Splinter cell
Raven Shield
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Driver 3
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
1080 white storm
Perfect Dark
Kameo Elements of Power
Zelda
XIII
Starfox
F Zero
Beach Spikers
Skies of Arcadia
Final Fantasy game
Outlaw golf
Asyllum
Mafia
Galleon
Burnout 2
Animal Forest +
James Bond: Nightfire
Mario Party 4
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Pikmin 2
Mario Kart
Colin Macrae Rally 3
Die Hard: Vendetta
Dead to Rights
Twin Caliber
etc...
Tue 13/08/02 at 10:56
Regular
Who cares about sales anyway?
Mon 12/08/02 at 00:48
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Mario Sunshine has just come out in Japan which has boosted GameCube sales substantially from what I gather...
Mon 12/08/02 at 00:11
Regular
"accidental superher"
gamecube isn't doing that brilliantly at the moment from what i can remember...it's sales figures in japan have been pretty poor (i think at one point even worse than xbox)...
the problem with BOTH consoles (gc and xbox) is that they're running through a very dry period -good games wise
and launch games wise i actually prefer the xbox ones a lot more to the gc ones...but imo the only good games on xbox at the moment ARE the launch games.
the ps2 at least has the odd good game getting released every so often.
anyway i have all three consoles so i naturally hope they all succeed :D...just keep the good games rolling and i'll be happy
Fri 09/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
To the X-Box fanboys....

I created this topic to shed a little light on the matter of the situation that the X-Box is in.
I've stated this below but to no avail, geez, and have any of you fanboys actually read what I had to say? (I'm Smeágol, for the non-ringers out there)
It's the truth, wheather you like it or not.
You can't pretend that everything is normal in 'Gate's cash land of Gaming', it isn't.
Gates and co, can throw all the money they want at the system, but that won't help it.
And spouting off, giving us lists doesn't help the situation either, nor does it prove anything in particular in proving your point or getting it across.
For instance, some are great games and are worth a mention surely! and a good deal in that list is multi-format anyway. Many people will have them on X-Box, including me.
If you cast your mind back two years, you would remember a very similiar list for the Dreamcast, you'll also remember people denying that anything is wrong, you'll also remember the great games that did manage to get out, multi-format or not.
But where is the Dreamcast now? Shenmue was supposed to be the saving grace (It was the equivalent to X-Box's Halo) and Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast (Appearing on X-box a YEAR later) was another title.
The X-Box's situation is not as rosey as you think, blinkered minds need to realise that.
The PS2 is the King out there, we might not like the console, but yet, that is the truth.
In Japan after looking at the 'Latest' sales figures, it shows the PS2 selling at a whopping 80,000 consoles a week! The X-Box is 5,000. Does this ring any bells? De ja vu?
But I'm merely repeating myself here. What I'm trying to say is, that the PS2 is in a position now where it is virtually un-movable, the X-Box has a lot of catching up to do, in fact the X-Box is in a situation where by it can't catch up at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.