GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Third age people matter"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/05/08 at 12:34
Regular
""Just try "
I truly believe that people aged 60 and over have more to contribute to society, than is ever recognised except, of course, those involved in certain areas of work such as media,pop music,acting,the Royal Family etc.
The Queen of England is 82 years of age, yet she appears to carry out similar duties to those she carried out many moons ago. To name a few other oldies - Bruce Forsyth, Michael Parkinson, Barbara Winsdor, and last but not least Noel Edmunds who looks and skips around on his programme - Deal or no Deal, like a man 20 years younger. However, when it comes to the over 60s of working class, they seem to be considered for nothing more than to be "put out to graze".

Perhaps it is time for over 60s to pave the way for themselves - don't just park yourselves in front of the TV and become fat and depressed. Get out and do something worthwhile - that means find the thing you would most love to do, and just do it. Perhaps numbers of people of the third age don't know how to use a computer, and think that they are too old to learn. I believe that no individual is too old to learn to do something that they always wanted to do, but was never given the opportunity. So now is the time, do some research, improve your lifestyle, and make a contribution.
Wed 21/05/08 at 11:50
"possibly impossible"
Active participation in clubs is always a good way, but you can't guarantee that a subject will be to everyone's taste.

Then there's the issue of advertising and ensuring everyone knows about them.

Perhaps a leafleting campaign from a National Database to anyone over a certain age with details of local things to do and a helpline. Unfortunately, most of the pensioners in this generation won’t be using the Internet (though more are being encouraged to go online). I think as the coming generation progresses to 60+ there will be a far greater online support network and many more will use chatrooms and websites to keep in contact and find things to do.
Wed 21/05/08 at 12:05
Regular
""Just try "
pb wrote:
> Active participation in clubs is always a good way, but you can't
> guarantee that a subject will be to everyone's taste.
>
> Then there's the issue of advertising and ensuring everyone
> knows about them.
>
> Perhaps a leafleting campaign from a National Database to anyone
> over a certain age with details of local things to do and a
> helpline. Unfortunately, most of the pensioners in this
> generation won’t be using the Internet (though more are being
> encouraged to go online). I think as the coming generation
> progresses to 60+ there will be a far greater online support
> network and many more will use chatrooms and websites to keep in
> contact and find things to do.

Thanks. I think that initially, third age people should be made aware that it is not difficult to learn to use a computer at any age, and that being able to use a computer, could be part of the way forward for them. I also think that those third age people who have been clubing, will continue to club so long as they have access to clubs.
Wed 21/05/08 at 12:10
Regular
""Just try "
Vampyr wrote:
> I'm only 14 in hex. And im 10100.
>
> Too young. Too old.
>
> my age is best expressed in Dec methinks

Thanks Vampyr. Great concept. I like to think am aged 73 but only 50 years old.
Wed 21/05/08 at 15:39
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Hmph.
Wed 21/05/08 at 18:41
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Dragonlance wrote:
> MarcoG wrote:
>
> >...are there any older people here.
>
> How old do you want?

Hmmmm by old...I mean...60??
Wed 21/05/08 at 18:42
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Gem wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> MarcoG wrote:
>
> >...are there any older people here.
>
> How old do you want?
>
> Thank you for your message MarcoG. Presumably, you are very
> young. so tell me, what do you think of an oldie (myself)
> learning web site creation and creating and publishing my web
> pages in just a few months.
>
> Sorry about Terry Wogan. I also forgot Des O'connor.

Hahaha...I'm "21" (smirks)
Wed 21/05/08 at 18:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
MarcoG wrote:
> Hmmmm by old...I mean...60??

Soz, only nudging 60:)
Thu 22/05/08 at 14:44
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Not too sure I'd encourage '3rd age people' to develop new skills as a revenue source. Effectively, as a self-actualisation measure, they'd enter the market via necessity at a discount, undercutting the current working generation, reducing overall wages and creating unemployment amongst those least able to cope with and afford it.

If people want to learn new skills - everyone has access, some just lack the knowledge that they do - and exercise those skills purely for personal pleasure by creating personal websites, editing family photos, chasing geneology links or designing aircraft for the Red Bull Flugtag, then be my guest. Just don't force unemployment on the younger generation simply because you waited till the 11th hour to realise you'd lived your life without ever living your dreams.

On a more constructive note, if you want to learn a new skill, academically, internet access is all you'll need. You can learn to design websites, grasp the fundamentals of company law, learnt to write a novel or get to grips with nuclear physics just by searching google. If you're interested in gathering knowledge, and aren't looking for structured academic qualification, then this should suffice.
Thu 22/05/08 at 23:50
Regular
Yeah, they matter.......... to the funeral parlour!

Edit: Erm.......wow
Fri 23/05/08 at 12:35
Regular
""Just try "
Alfonse the Turtle wrote:
> Yeah, they matter.......... to the funeral parlour!
>
> Edit: Erm.......wow

Thank you. Good point!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.