GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2 crashed xbox's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/08/02 at 10:07
Regular
During my travel's, i have seen 2 xbox consoles which have crashed in 2 different stores. One was showing a frozen image, and the controller would not respond - like a PC crash. The other crashed after someone finished a level and it went back to the retry screen. Problem was it would not re-enter the level or do anything else. How common is this sort of thing. My PS2 has only crashed 1 time since i bought it, about 18 months ago. I haven't seen any crashed GameCube's yet. Plus, Xbox has had problems with scratching discs. I don't think i will be changing over just yet. Perhaps MS will make a software fix via download, when XboxLive starts up.
Fri 02/08/02 at 16:35
Regular
On all 3 consoles you hear a whirling sound, now i thought that was a fan and after looking in my GC i found it would be the only possible explination.
But then my freind came around and said his PS2 makes the sound because of the hard drive, he was then backed up by another of my mates who knows loads about pcs.
But the thing is the PS2 doesnt have a Hard drive does it, and i dont think a hard drive would give off that sort/amount of sound.
Fri 02/08/02 at 16:21
Regular
Mr Ripper wrote:
>If the Xbox weren't such an unsightly behemoth, it wouldn't be a problem...

Sigh... To back up Tom's post saying it is'nt much bigger than the PS2 - Check these Dimensions

XBOX: 300mm x 80mm x 180mm

PS2: 301mm X 178mm X 78mm

Also my XBOX does'nt seem to give off much heat after about 3-4 hours of playing the console is only slightly warm.
Fri 02/08/02 at 14:10
"MMMMM, Chicken"
If your game doesnt work due to scratches, use brasso metal polish on them, it repairs the discs. Works great on light scratches, and some heavier scratches.
Fri 02/08/02 at 14:04
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
My Snes crashed on more than one occasion playing ISS. I think this was more to do with a bug in the game though.

My N64 has never crashed yet.

My PS2 hasn't done a full out crash yet, but it gets extremly slow when its been on for a long time and with games such as GTA3 textures are not loaded fast enough, so the streets have no people and are just grey walls.
Fri 02/08/02 at 13:55
Regular
My Gamecube has crashed once and it was the first day id played on it. It was after i finished SSBM and it went through the credits i left the room for 5 secs came back and it had frozen.

As for my PS it crashed loads of times but it is getting old now. The PS2 ive seen crashed was when it went black but the sound carried on, it wasnt the wires, i reset it and it worked fine after.

My 64 has crashed once during perfect dark and then after that the sound kept repeating it self, which was kinda funny if it does it as the same time as jo is shot so she keeps shouting oh oh oh oh, it always happens with 4 players and 8 bots and when you tell the bot to do something.

As for Xbox crashing i havent played it long enough to find out as Halo and project gotham racer are the only games that i like on it.
Fri 02/08/02 at 13:48
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Heh. Works for me.
Fri 02/08/02 at 13:46
"Darkness, always"
So another alternative use for the XBOX is as a central heating unit...
Fri 02/08/02 at 13:43
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
The Xbox is actually only a little big bigger than the PS2. I have them both sitting here now.

But the Xbox creates more heat. Infact, it creates enough heat to make my room heat up after a long session of playing halo, meaning when I leave the room I feel cold.

Being more powerful, it'll probably create more heat. Just like PC's. This means it needs more space to spread that heat across. It would still be a problem, even if the Xbox was the size of the GC.
Fri 02/08/02 at 13:37
"Darkness, always"
The pod they put the consoles in is sufficiently large. If the Xbox weren't such an unsightly behemoth, it wouldn't be a problem...
Fri 02/08/02 at 13:35
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
My PS2 has crashed once, and my Xbox is yet to crash.

Those Xbox consoles probably did overheat. The little pod they are in is so small, and the Xbox creates a large amount of heat which could make it overheat in such a small space. So I think the design of the pod is at fault, not the console.

I've also noticed the large amount of Xboxs that don't respond. But I don't think all of them have crashed. The Xbox controller has an inline release on the cable, to stop the Xbox crashing onto the floor if you pull the cable to far away, or if someone trips over the wire. (The instuction manual said it was because it could hurt small children if the Xbox fell on them, which made me laugh :D). So it's probably just a case of someone yanking the controller in the pod, and this inline release separates. But, who knows?

Was this some sort of topic trying to have a dig at the Xbox? They really are becoming tiresome now...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.