GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Warcraft III is good."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
Now my loathing of all things pixie is well documented. Just the mention of elven folk and wizards is enough to send me into apoplectic spasms.

Yet I bought Warcraft III on a whim. Some say I will never learn, whilst others applaud my open-mindedness at all things fairy (in both senses of the word).
You can be 4 races:
Humans (great, do that anyway)
Orcs (bordering on pixie, but big and angry)
Undead (yes, Romero heaven awaits)
Elves (no. NO NO NO NO, DIE BIG GAY MAGIC PIXIES)

It's also an RTS. Which soon, despite initial goodness, soon deteriote into:
Build base/gather resources/build army/build more army/bumrush nearest town in swarms of army.
But WC III doesn't do this. You're limited to 90 units. Resource gathering is a doddle, send some dumb-ass acolytes to worship at a gold mine and send a few minions off to chop trees - leave 'em to it.

But here's the thing that makes this one of the best RTS/RPG games out there.
I got to kill many many elves.
Finally, a childhood ambition realised.
I loaded for bear and completely annihilated the Elven villages, people, resources and homes. You dont have to destroy their houses, but I did it anyway.
Because I hate Elves & Pixies.
To send out legions of Dragons to murder little pointy-eared hippy magicians felt really really good.

But the best was yet to come.
The Elven Priestess (Bangshwap of Thringmor or 'tard name) decided to show some hair and stand up to my Undead Horde.
So I killed every single Elf I could see and enslaved her as my Undead Beeyatch.
YES!
The murder of many elves AND I get an Elf-Queen to be ma ho.

Best game ever.
Wed 31/07/02 at 18:36
Regular
The Undead bit sounds cool but I can't stand these kind of games, Warcraft 2 was good but this one looks far too complicated.
Wed 31/07/02 at 19:51
Regular
"That's right!"
Despite the best efforts of Blizzard, rushing is still the main strategy employed by people (and the only strategy for some)

They build a barracks, or their equivilant, build some men, and rush in while you're still building. It sucks. All but two of my losses have been because I've been rushed by "lamers"

Other than that, excellent game
Wed 31/07/02 at 19:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Despite the best efforts of Blizzard, rushing is still the main
> strategy employed by people (and the only strategy for some)
>
> They build a barracks, or their equivilant, build some men, and rush
> in while you're still building. It sucks. All but two of my losses
> have been because I've been rushed by "lamers"
>
> Other than that, excellent game

Well you get rushing in every RTS game really. Tank rushing is a popular tactic on both RA2 and Yuris revenge. You just need to take the precautions to make their rush unsuccessful. Surely you can build some sort of defensive structure early on? Or why not make some guys of your own to negate their advantage?
Wed 31/07/02 at 20:03
Regular
"That's right!"
Towers are expensive and take a long time to build then upgrade (so they can actually shoot at people) and building men quickly isn't a good idea, as it puts you in low or high upkeep, meaning you get less money. I prefer a long battle, of REAL strategy, not a competition on who can build 10 men first. It's pants
Wed 31/07/02 at 20:07
Regular
i am getting this game on saturday
Wed 31/07/02 at 20:12
Regular
"That's right!"
Glad to hear it KR, we'll have to have a game sometime
Thu 01/08/02 at 10:56
Regular
I feel compelled to buy this and take the sides of the elfs and pound the big gay zombie people with pixie magic. In fact, I will do this. Pixies own.
Thu 01/08/02 at 11:01
Regular
Goatboy in "I hate fairies" shocker!
Thu 01/08/02 at 11:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stryke wrote:
> I feel compelled to buy this and take the sides of the elfs and pound
> the big gay zombie people with pixie magic. In fact, I will do this.
> Pixies own.
-----

Unfortunately I fear the next chapter you play will indeed be Pixies.
You can develop "War Trees" or something.
That's cack.
And quite possibly gay.

So far I have been Human for the 1st chapter. This was cool because Prince Arthas goes mental, kills his dad and lies to his men before becoming undead for the (duh) Undead Chapter.
I've been bum-raping Elves for most of this section, I just pray my nasty betraying Undead Prince Arthas doesn't get turned into a Pixie.

Because I wouldn't like that
Thu 01/08/02 at 11:10
"Darkness, always"
The easy route past the early rush tactics is to rush straight to your first hero (which is free), and run out slapping up a few random unfriendlies (goons or whatever they're called). Before anyone can amass a sizable force, you can have a level 3 hero (always choose the healer if applicable to your race) and this should help you through any early difficulties. once you then have your base defence arranged, you can venture out making your hero stronger. the faster you do this the better, as in the middle-game stage, a strong hero is the turning point of any battle.

Try saving replays of your opponents, and see what it is they are doing that you are not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.