GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Warcraft III is good."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
Now my loathing of all things pixie is well documented. Just the mention of elven folk and wizards is enough to send me into apoplectic spasms.

Yet I bought Warcraft III on a whim. Some say I will never learn, whilst others applaud my open-mindedness at all things fairy (in both senses of the word).
You can be 4 races:
Humans (great, do that anyway)
Orcs (bordering on pixie, but big and angry)
Undead (yes, Romero heaven awaits)
Elves (no. NO NO NO NO, DIE BIG GAY MAGIC PIXIES)

It's also an RTS. Which soon, despite initial goodness, soon deteriote into:
Build base/gather resources/build army/build more army/bumrush nearest town in swarms of army.
But WC III doesn't do this. You're limited to 90 units. Resource gathering is a doddle, send some dumb-ass acolytes to worship at a gold mine and send a few minions off to chop trees - leave 'em to it.

But here's the thing that makes this one of the best RTS/RPG games out there.
I got to kill many many elves.
Finally, a childhood ambition realised.
I loaded for bear and completely annihilated the Elven villages, people, resources and homes. You dont have to destroy their houses, but I did it anyway.
Because I hate Elves & Pixies.
To send out legions of Dragons to murder little pointy-eared hippy magicians felt really really good.

But the best was yet to come.
The Elven Priestess (Bangshwap of Thringmor or 'tard name) decided to show some hair and stand up to my Undead Horde.
So I killed every single Elf I could see and enslaved her as my Undead Beeyatch.
YES!
The murder of many elves AND I get an Elf-Queen to be ma ho.

Best game ever.
Wed 31/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Now my loathing of all things pixie is well documented. Just the mention of elven folk and wizards is enough to send me into apoplectic spasms.

Yet I bought Warcraft III on a whim. Some say I will never learn, whilst others applaud my open-mindedness at all things fairy (in both senses of the word).
You can be 4 races:
Humans (great, do that anyway)
Orcs (bordering on pixie, but big and angry)
Undead (yes, Romero heaven awaits)
Elves (no. NO NO NO NO, DIE BIG GAY MAGIC PIXIES)

It's also an RTS. Which soon, despite initial goodness, soon deteriote into:
Build base/gather resources/build army/build more army/bumrush nearest town in swarms of army.
But WC III doesn't do this. You're limited to 90 units. Resource gathering is a doddle, send some dumb-ass acolytes to worship at a gold mine and send a few minions off to chop trees - leave 'em to it.

But here's the thing that makes this one of the best RTS/RPG games out there.
I got to kill many many elves.
Finally, a childhood ambition realised.
I loaded for bear and completely annihilated the Elven villages, people, resources and homes. You dont have to destroy their houses, but I did it anyway.
Because I hate Elves & Pixies.
To send out legions of Dragons to murder little pointy-eared hippy magicians felt really really good.

But the best was yet to come.
The Elven Priestess (Bangshwap of Thringmor or 'tard name) decided to show some hair and stand up to my Undead Horde.
So I killed every single Elf I could see and enslaved her as my Undead Beeyatch.
YES!
The murder of many elves AND I get an Elf-Queen to be ma ho.

Best game ever.
Wed 31/07/02 at 13:52
Regular
Sounds a good enough reason for me to get it too :)
Wed 31/07/02 at 13:56
Regular
"Excommunicated"
This hate for magic Pixes Mr Goatboy... are you sure your not hiding your true sexuality?

Sounds fun
Wed 31/07/02 at 13:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nowt to do with my liking of Greek Sailors.

It's the nerdy fanboys at Forbidden Planet and fantasy conventions that curdle my blood.
Stop reading books about tree-ghosts and get laid.

It is a good game if you
(a) Hate Elves
(b) Hate resource gathering
(c) Like smashing houses up with dragons
(d) Like smashing houses up with ghouls
(e) Enslaving High Elf women as your lapdogs.
Wed 31/07/02 at 13:59
You would murder one of my mates. When he smiles it brings out his elf ears and pixie style face...Shouldn't of said that...

Still, the game looks good.
Wed 31/07/02 at 14:00
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Damn I just realised where your tag-line came from :-)

The Princess Bride rocks.

"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. 'Twould be a pity to damage yours."
Wed 31/07/02 at 14:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
"Probably just a local fisherman out for a pleasure cruise at night. In eel infested waters"
Wed 31/07/02 at 14:21
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I like RTS games and the online game is apparently cheater free. At the moment anyway.
Wed 31/07/02 at 14:36
Regular
I want this actually. Might spend me SR credit.
Wed 31/07/02 at 18:31
Regular
i had war craft II and it was an amazing game, just gotta go up town and buy this one

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.