GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Warcraft III is good."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
Now my loathing of all things pixie is well documented. Just the mention of elven folk and wizards is enough to send me into apoplectic spasms.

Yet I bought Warcraft III on a whim. Some say I will never learn, whilst others applaud my open-mindedness at all things fairy (in both senses of the word).
You can be 4 races:
Humans (great, do that anyway)
Orcs (bordering on pixie, but big and angry)
Undead (yes, Romero heaven awaits)
Elves (no. NO NO NO NO, DIE BIG GAY MAGIC PIXIES)

It's also an RTS. Which soon, despite initial goodness, soon deteriote into:
Build base/gather resources/build army/build more army/bumrush nearest town in swarms of army.
But WC III doesn't do this. You're limited to 90 units. Resource gathering is a doddle, send some dumb-ass acolytes to worship at a gold mine and send a few minions off to chop trees - leave 'em to it.

But here's the thing that makes this one of the best RTS/RPG games out there.
I got to kill many many elves.
Finally, a childhood ambition realised.
I loaded for bear and completely annihilated the Elven villages, people, resources and homes. You dont have to destroy their houses, but I did it anyway.
Because I hate Elves & Pixies.
To send out legions of Dragons to murder little pointy-eared hippy magicians felt really really good.

But the best was yet to come.
The Elven Priestess (Bangshwap of Thringmor or 'tard name) decided to show some hair and stand up to my Undead Horde.
So I killed every single Elf I could see and enslaved her as my Undead Beeyatch.
YES!
The murder of many elves AND I get an Elf-Queen to be ma ho.

Best game ever.
Thu 01/08/02 at 22:37
Regular
the 3D landscapes are meant to be good
Thu 01/08/02 at 21:56
Regular
this game is quality. Buy it!
The human prince is a camp nutter though
"you are beyond redemption" and all those rantings

Quality.
Thu 01/08/02 at 19:16
Regular
"not dead"
So you like to make the Elven queen your ho, and you spend most of the time bum-raping Elves.

And you say you hate these things?

You got issues man. ;o)
Thu 01/08/02 at 13:16
Regular
"Wasting away"
A game you can buy on the Mac that's good?! Interesting. Tell me more, as it might conpensate for the fact that I'll probably never buy it.
Thu 01/08/02 at 13:12
Regular
Dark Elves are still pixies. Just dark pixies, with dark pixie powers.

Pixie fan is you.
Thu 01/08/02 at 13:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dark Elves?

I'm liking the sound of that. I just dont want to those poncy blue ones and be noble.
Thu 01/08/02 at 13:05
"Darkness, always"
the war trees are gay. But the dark elven ability to have their buildings uproot and start walking around hitting people does offer them some protection against early game rushes...
Thu 01/08/02 at 13:00
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

>
> Unfortunately I fear the next chapter you play will indeed be
> Pixies.
> You can develop "War Trees" or something.

--

See? Magical hard War Trees with pixie powers will smash ugly slow big gay zombies into little bits. Which will biodegrade and grow more War Trees. Because I'd like that.
Thu 01/08/02 at 11:34
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Goatboy wrote:

> Unfortunately I fear the next chapter you play will indeed be
> Pixies.

A slight reprieve, it's the Orcs next and the Nightelves last.
Thu 01/08/02 at 11:10
"Darkness, always"
The easy route past the early rush tactics is to rush straight to your first hero (which is free), and run out slapping up a few random unfriendlies (goons or whatever they're called). Before anyone can amass a sizable force, you can have a level 3 hero (always choose the healer if applicable to your race) and this should help you through any early difficulties. once you then have your base defence arranged, you can venture out making your hero stronger. the faster you do this the better, as in the middle-game stage, a strong hero is the turning point of any battle.

Try saving replays of your opponents, and see what it is they are doing that you are not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.