GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Idiot's Newbie guide to Winning Gameaday"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/07/02 at 17:03
Regular
Many of you are still yet to win a game of your choice for any console, but chances are your methods of trying have been honourable, whilst not actually winning, you've come here for the fun and community spirit that has developed over the years. However, there are those idiots who come here for nothing but the chance of winning one of the three competitions. Here is the Idiot's Newbie Guide to Winning Gameaday:

1. Topics Galore (i)

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. How can you increase your chances of winning? Create more and more topics. If you have more topics than anyone else on here, surely one of them will win! So start topics asking people's opinions on different things. Obviously, you wont have time to type your own opinions or actually give any reasons for them, but people are bound to reply.

2. Topics Galore (ii)

Ok, so you're getting fed up of starting topics asking questions over small things like "Do you like Nickleback?", so why not take a different approach. Start topics giving your opinions on things like "I think Pokémon is crap because pikachu is yellow!" and people are bound to agree with you. If they don't, make your case stronger by calling them names and referring to them as homosexuals.

3. Replies

Make sure you get lots and lots of replies. As you probably already know, the more replies you get to your topics, the higher your chances are of winning! So, if one person argues against you or tells you to 'shutup' (as they're bound to) then make sure you reply and start a heated argument. If you still don't get any replies, go to topics started by other people which have no relation to your own topics and advertise your topic. That will definately attract more members to your topics.

4. Regularity

So you think the reason people aren't replying to your topic and are slating your opinions is because you are a newbie? Then pop along to a quieter forum such as the Pokémon forum and spam! Yes, spamming will increase your word count and will enable you to quickly become a regular! Because the forum is quiet, no one will notice.

5. Notables

As you may or may not know, the staff are sleeping with the Notables, so getting on the right side of the Notables will increase your chances of winning by twifty-percent! Maybe compliment a Notable, or become their best friend on MSN messenger.

6. Copy 'n' Paste (i)

Everyone knows that it's the decent reviews and topics that win Gameaday, and you know that there's no chance in hell of you producing anything of decent quality on the Special Reserve forums. So why not look on really popular websites such as Gamespy and IGN and copy the reviews and reports. No one will suspect a thing and you're almost guaranteed to win!

7. Copy 'n' Paste (ii)

So you've spotted a game on UKreviews.com that nobody has reviewed for a long, long time. However, the last person to review that game won. Why not copy and paste their review and pretend you did it. that way you're getting a free game for nothing! After all, the review won before, so why wont it win again?

8. Change your name

You've started to get disliked because of all your attempts at copying have been found out. The best thing to do now is to change your name. Obviously, because you've changed your name, you can't be banned because it wasn't you who cheated, it was the other name. Chances are, people will notice that the taglines between both names are exactly the same, but again, you can always completely deny any relation and the staff will never check!

9. Extra Extra Gameaday

You still feel you haven't got a chance in hell of winning a Gameaday prize? How about attempting an Extra Extra Gameaday competition? You could try using all the above methods to try and win it, but chances are the competition will be very easy to enter so everyone has a chance, so you could actually get those cogs in your head working and try something for yourself for once. However, make sure each attempt is in a different reply so your name is more spread out throughout the whole Extra Extra Gameaday topic.

10. Duplication

Your name still isn't on the winners list? How about duplicating topics then? Somebody is bound to have started a really good discussion on a gaming matter, so why not copy and re-word their topic and claim it as your own. Then you'll get lots and lots of replies of people joining in the discussion. You're bound to win!

So there you go, a nice and easy to follow guide to help you win the Gameaday competition! Have fun and enjoy yourself on the Special Reserve network!

Disclaimer: You follow this guide at your own risk. All comments about other members are entirely fictional. Nickleback does not rule and Pokémon is not crap. Chances are, following this guide will get you banned. For Newbies who are reading this and have thought up some ideas along the lines of any of the Idiots Newbie Guide to Winning Gameaday, please note that this is a joke and following this will decrease your chances of winning Gameaday and may even result in a banning. If you haven't read this disclaimer then you truly are an idiot.
Sun 21/07/02 at 09:02
Regular
garbe123 wrote:

> A word of advice, stop being an Alex from Big Brother,

A damning indictment of society today. Says it all really, doesn't it?
Sun 21/07/02 at 00:04
Regular
Suck ups? What are you talking about? I think I would call it being nice! If someone spends time posting then it serves to read it and complement when nessecery! The only problem with this post is how serious you are taking it.

Contradicting myself? WHERE? I said it was typical of what happens but its very funny, what is wrong with that? It is just like saying "that was typical of Ali-G but it was very funny", where is the contradiction in that?

A word of advice, stop being an Alex from Big Brother, lighten up and try not to take things so seriously! Gees... I wouldn't want to be one of your friends, the slightest complement and you would be shouting at them!
Sat 20/07/02 at 23:44
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Edgy wrote:
> This was definately not a serious post...infact, isn't it a bit
> stereotypical assuming that all regulars or all members who post a
> spoof topic usually put a ;) at the end?

Nope, not assuming that they all do it, but knowing that they all gripe about others needing to do it to show they're joking... or griping when they forget to do so themselves. ;)

garbe123:
> it is typical and very funny!

See, now when you post trying to say that it is a joke, and not a sweeping generalisation; it helps help if you're smart enough not to contradict yourself, by saying that its typical. ;)

Edgy wrote:
> For those who still think I'm getting at newbies...just say the word and > I'll do the same thing about regulars, Notables and even Staff members!

Lets see it. Oh, and if you copy any of my stuff and paste it as your own, I'm telling. :P

Afroman wrote:
> It was a joke, but it's a joke that some newbies actually do take
> seriously. Not all, just some.

No... you'll find they all take it seriously, but some of them like a certain few here are just suck ups, and will do anything to be liked. Thats why they're still brown nosing even when they're being slated for posting spam topics, they think by being craven curs, they'll get on the good side of the regulars - so all thats actually happening is their prescence is being perpetuated.
Sat 20/07/02 at 22:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
LOL! Very good Edgy!

It was a joke, but it's a joke that some newbies actually do take seriously. Not all, just some.

:-)
Sat 20/07/02 at 22:39
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> This is getting rediculous! *Good* post Edgy, it is typical and very
> funny! Stop taking it so seriously, *IT IS ONLY A JOKE*, forget your
> stats, I am sure that they are good, give the guy a break do you think
> he would have done it to annoy you and get your backs up? NO! What is
> the world coming to? Its nothing about console wars (thank goodness)
> it is just a funny post which has had time spent on it, lets just stop
> it before it goes any further!

Thank you.

For those who still think I'm getting at newbies...just say the word and I'll do the same thing about regulars, Notables and even Staff members!

11. If you're stuck for ideas, find ideas in what someone else says... :)
Sat 20/07/02 at 22:25
Regular
This is getting rediculous! *Good* post Edgy, it is typical and very funny! Stop taking it so seriously, *IT IS ONLY A JOKE*, forget your stats, I am sure that they are good, give the guy a break do you think he would have done it to annoy you and get your backs up? NO! What is the world coming to? Its nothing about console wars (thank goodness) it is just a funny post which has had time spent on it, lets just stop it before it goes any further!
Sat 20/07/02 at 22:05
I would die if he won GAD for this post. Far too ironic... :D
Sat 20/07/02 at 21:53
Regular
This was definately not a serious post...infact, isn't it a bit stereotypical assuming that all regulars or all members who post a spoof topic usually put a ;) at the end?

I tend to make the readers wonder... :)
Sat 20/07/02 at 21:13
You forgot one Edgy...Don't call yourself Smoking guns.

(:)
Sat 20/07/02 at 21:12
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Tell SR about it in the bugs forum, they'll sort it out. I remember something like this happening just before I became a regular, only it gave some newbies regular status before they reched the 300+ post count. It was Just a bug I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.