GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Idiot's Newbie guide to Winning Gameaday"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/07/02 at 17:03
Regular
Many of you are still yet to win a game of your choice for any console, but chances are your methods of trying have been honourable, whilst not actually winning, you've come here for the fun and community spirit that has developed over the years. However, there are those idiots who come here for nothing but the chance of winning one of the three competitions. Here is the Idiot's Newbie Guide to Winning Gameaday:

1. Topics Galore (i)

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. How can you increase your chances of winning? Create more and more topics. If you have more topics than anyone else on here, surely one of them will win! So start topics asking people's opinions on different things. Obviously, you wont have time to type your own opinions or actually give any reasons for them, but people are bound to reply.

2. Topics Galore (ii)

Ok, so you're getting fed up of starting topics asking questions over small things like "Do you like Nickleback?", so why not take a different approach. Start topics giving your opinions on things like "I think Pokémon is crap because pikachu is yellow!" and people are bound to agree with you. If they don't, make your case stronger by calling them names and referring to them as homosexuals.

3. Replies

Make sure you get lots and lots of replies. As you probably already know, the more replies you get to your topics, the higher your chances are of winning! So, if one person argues against you or tells you to 'shutup' (as they're bound to) then make sure you reply and start a heated argument. If you still don't get any replies, go to topics started by other people which have no relation to your own topics and advertise your topic. That will definately attract more members to your topics.

4. Regularity

So you think the reason people aren't replying to your topic and are slating your opinions is because you are a newbie? Then pop along to a quieter forum such as the Pokémon forum and spam! Yes, spamming will increase your word count and will enable you to quickly become a regular! Because the forum is quiet, no one will notice.

5. Notables

As you may or may not know, the staff are sleeping with the Notables, so getting on the right side of the Notables will increase your chances of winning by twifty-percent! Maybe compliment a Notable, or become their best friend on MSN messenger.

6. Copy 'n' Paste (i)

Everyone knows that it's the decent reviews and topics that win Gameaday, and you know that there's no chance in hell of you producing anything of decent quality on the Special Reserve forums. So why not look on really popular websites such as Gamespy and IGN and copy the reviews and reports. No one will suspect a thing and you're almost guaranteed to win!

7. Copy 'n' Paste (ii)

So you've spotted a game on UKreviews.com that nobody has reviewed for a long, long time. However, the last person to review that game won. Why not copy and paste their review and pretend you did it. that way you're getting a free game for nothing! After all, the review won before, so why wont it win again?

8. Change your name

You've started to get disliked because of all your attempts at copying have been found out. The best thing to do now is to change your name. Obviously, because you've changed your name, you can't be banned because it wasn't you who cheated, it was the other name. Chances are, people will notice that the taglines between both names are exactly the same, but again, you can always completely deny any relation and the staff will never check!

9. Extra Extra Gameaday

You still feel you haven't got a chance in hell of winning a Gameaday prize? How about attempting an Extra Extra Gameaday competition? You could try using all the above methods to try and win it, but chances are the competition will be very easy to enter so everyone has a chance, so you could actually get those cogs in your head working and try something for yourself for once. However, make sure each attempt is in a different reply so your name is more spread out throughout the whole Extra Extra Gameaday topic.

10. Duplication

Your name still isn't on the winners list? How about duplicating topics then? Somebody is bound to have started a really good discussion on a gaming matter, so why not copy and re-word their topic and claim it as your own. Then you'll get lots and lots of replies of people joining in the discussion. You're bound to win!

So there you go, a nice and easy to follow guide to help you win the Gameaday competition! Have fun and enjoy yourself on the Special Reserve network!

Disclaimer: You follow this guide at your own risk. All comments about other members are entirely fictional. Nickleback does not rule and Pokémon is not crap. Chances are, following this guide will get you banned. For Newbies who are reading this and have thought up some ideas along the lines of any of the Idiots Newbie Guide to Winning Gameaday, please note that this is a joke and following this will decrease your chances of winning Gameaday and may even result in a banning. If you haven't read this disclaimer then you truly are an idiot.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:02
Regular
jamthom wrote:
> LOL Good Post Edgy Keep up the good work
> what consoles have you got ?

You had to ask didn't you...

Me and my brother together have got:

ZX Spectrum 48k +
ZX Spectrum 128k +2
Game Boy
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64
Game Boy Color (one each)
Game Boy Advance
Dreamcast
Playstation 2
GameCube
PC
(and one or two LCD single-game handhelds)
Mon 22/07/02 at 11:58
Regular
I just realised something. This topic in no way states that all newbies spam, copy, etc.

The title says "Idiot's Newbie guide to Winning Gameaday". It's aimed at the 'Idiot Newbies'. Otherwise it would just be called "Newbie guide to Winning Gameaday".
Mon 22/07/02 at 11:55
Regular
LOL Good Post Edgy Keep up the good work
what consoles have you got ?
Sun 21/07/02 at 17:40
Regular
"'Excellent....'"
thanks for that,i'll keep it in mind
Sun 21/07/02 at 17:37
"Stupid Newbie :D"
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:
> Lets just end this. Edgy wrote a funny topic which most people (bar
> you) found amusing. It was meant in good humour, and you've taken it
> seriously. Fair enough, but Edgy's said he didn't mean it to be
> targeted at ALL newbies. What more do you want? Leave it alone, and
> let people enjoy these forums.

Actually you'll find I let Edgy off the hook on the first page of the topic, the retorts since have been at the fools coming in, trying to provoke something. ;)

You'll find that I don't get angry or irritated too easily, and none of my replies here have been either, I merely tend to stick up for the underdog and if that means schooling a few ignorant types along the way - all the more fun. I find it amusing when people like garbe see a debate out of their league, and think a cocky reply is going to be enough to "win" an argument with someone who mentally outranks them, so I'll see their cocky comment and raise them an ego shredding. :P

Notice I haven't been having a go at people like Nat and Afro? Thats because they're merely replying to the topic, and not trying to provoke a scrap; generally if they come in looking for a fight they'll get it.

Edgy wrote:
> Pointless Babble...you remind me of someone....
> Oh yeah! Me around 6 months ago :D
> ...Here's some advice...Stop trying to be me!

Erm... no. :P
If anything it was you trying to be me, but not realising it yet. :P
So hush or I'll have to start charging royalties. :P

*Nods*

Lawless Fever wrote:
> this place is intended to be a bit of fun, not something to be taken
> literally or seriously. In a way, it's a metaphor for life. You need to > lighten up, and if you don't like the way the forums are run, either
> report us, or leave to plague some other troubled site.

BoIIocks is it, explain to me how your berating the spammers (which, however, is entirely justified) is not intended seriously? ;)
Those posts are serious, as they're meant to discourage them from posting again, this topic was merely too reminiscent of them - but instead of stating the spammers were to blame, it was a jab at all newbies because Edgy wasn't clear enough in his post.

Would you also like to explain how trying to discredit the genuine work of others by saying its copied when it isn't, constitutes "fun", because to me it just looks like a few green-eyed kids feeling sore that theres potential competition challenging their "right" to GAD. If you need an example of this, my Nintendo thread is roughly 4 pages back on the forum, read through and notice the 2 regulars/notables who posted the claims - then note that they didn't return after being replied to, because they never intended to. It was a quick in to discredit, out to write their own topic, and it was their behaviour I was getting at in my satire of Edgy's satire. My point has been quite simple all along, you can't blame the newbies alone for the current state of the forum, its just as much the fault of the regulars/notables like those two.
Sun 21/07/02 at 14:55
Regular
Excellent point Lawless.

I log on to this website to have fun, possibly get some games reccomendations and read some amusing posts (such as this one) to lighten up my day. I don't take things seriously on here, I joke around most of the time, along with the other posters. Now, the ranking system, I don't have much of a problem with. I think it's good that people can get acknowledged for their hard work by becoming a notable, and you've seen what newbies can do, imagine if they DID start spamming FOG Prime.

Lets just end this. Edgy wrote a funny topic which most people (bar you) found amusing. It was meant in good humour, and you've taken it seriously. Fair enough, but Edgy's said he didn't mean it to be targeted at ALL newbies. What more do you want? Leave it alone, and let people enjoy these forums.
Sun 21/07/02 at 14:08
"`·.¸¸.·´´Ż`··._.·`·"
Good post Edgy.
Sun 21/07/02 at 14:04
Pointless Babble, is it just me or do you need to lighten up? And before you begin to answer in anger, that was rhetorical. Anyway, it seems to me that you are ignorant. As Edgy said, if you'd read all the topics around here, you'd know that there are genuine Newbies out there, although I can't see you being one. To be perfectly honest with you, you're giving Newbies a bad name. If you don't like what we do, don't read it, nobody's forcing you to do so. You are also ignorant because it's true - Edgy hates the ranking system and I am 100% with him on this one. The ranking system is a pointless ego-shifting system to put everyone in their place and bring a hierarchy to the system. Once again to back up Edgy here, this place is intended to be a bit of fun, not something to be taken literally or seriously. In a way, it's a metaphor for life. You need to lighten up, and if you don't like the way the forums are run, either report us, or leave to plague some other troubled site.

Sodding git...
Sun 21/07/02 at 13:52
Regular
[hands out virtual corn muffins]
Sun 21/07/02 at 12:11

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.