GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The OFFICIAL Prisoner Of War post."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/07/02 at 10:23
Regular
Heres my Prisoner Of War post! To start us off I will write some info on the game.

Prisoner Of War

(http://www.codemasters.com/redirect DELETE ME!! /redirect.php?url=/pow/front.htm)

Pros +

-3 big areas to discover and look around + revisits to certain areas in different conditions.
-Lots of items to use.
-Unwinding plot that is discoved as the game progresses.
-Superior enemy AI said to be better than MGS2's.
-Lots of people to interact with including people that sell you items and let you play minigames.
-Daily routines that you must learn and adapt to.
-Graphics are clear and smooth.

Cons -

-Graphics may seem a little undetailed.
-A bit more linear than expected.
-No two player.
-Sometimes annoying camera angles.

My overall score 8/10

So theres the pros and cons. But how does it fair in certain catergories?

Graphics- Nothing great but they do the job and the day/night appearence is affective. 7/10

Gameplay- Very original. Deep down it is just another stealth but the idea and the way of portraying the idea is nice and new and a joy to play. 8/10

Sound- You do get a feel of your surroundings from the sound. Birds chirp and other stuff. Nice voice acting too. 8/10

Lifespan- The game may become a bit boring by the time you get to the end level but the story will keep you going. 7/10

Thanks for reading.

Now lets start this conversation!
Sun 21/07/02 at 07:37
Prisoner of War is coming out on PC - yay! But not until 30/09/2002 - damnit! Ah well...

*Sigh*
Sun 21/07/02 at 09:18
Regular
Is POW out yet? damn, must rent it to see if its any good.
Sun 21/07/02 at 09:51
Regular
"  "
G1NGER = LFC always wrote:
> Nobody still bought it ? - I can see this game has been popular with
> SR customers (not !)#

I think quite a few of us have (I have :D) but SR seemed to only get it in stock on Friday so it hasn't arrived yet :(
Mon 22/07/02 at 10:24
Regular
"  "
I've just got my copy through the post :D

Dunno what it's like yet but i'll report back to you when I played it :D
Mon 22/07/02 at 14:29
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Na†ßu© wrote:
> I've just got my copy through the post :D
>
> Dunno what it's like yet but i'll report back to you when I played it
> :D

Hurry, hurry, hurry

Whats it like?

I need to know so that I can get it if it is decent. I have not found anywhere renting it yet so the responsibility is your young man!

TELL ME NOW I CANNOT BEAR IT
Mon 22/07/02 at 14:56
Regular
"  "
ITS GREAT! Seriously, it's a lot better than I thought it would be. The graphics are smooth and no jaggies :D
Controls are also smooth and the AI is superb.
You can also run into objects and make noises which I like doing :D
Mon 22/07/02 at 17:56
Regular
"accidental superher"
how hard is the game...is it pretty easy to get into??
Tue 23/07/02 at 08:35
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Oh well, I have taken the plunge and claimed this as my one and only GAD to date.

If it turns out to be mince it doesn`t matter I suppose.

Come on Natbuc give us the lowdown
Tue 23/07/02 at 11:49
Regular
"  "
Ok this is kinda the low down, well it's my review. If you got any questions just ask :D

--------------------------------- --------------------------------------

"Getting banged up in prison nowadays is nothing on how it used to be! You get Playstations in your cells, nice meals, and sometimes the odd naughty magazine pushed your way! But back in the old days, when I was a lad, things were different. Getting locked up during the war was a terrible experience. You went through nights of hell, trying to avoid the eagle like stare of the Krauts. But what’s this? Prisoner Of War? A game? How can they make something as terrible like that into a fun, enjoyable experience. It's a disgrace to humanity!"

Cut the whining Grandad! Yes, Prisoner Of War is fun. Not only that but it's a highly original take on many other games. Add a bit of Metal Gear, stir it up with the charm and puzzles of Monkey Island, and throw in a bit of Medal Of Honour and you get the excellent dish up of Prisoner Of War.

The first thing that is clearly apparent in POW is the great humour. The voices are hilarious. Every character in the game stereotypically represents the country they come from, just like an episode of 'allo allo'. In fact at some points you half expect to see René from 'allo allo' playing his piano. The best thing about the dialogue though is the Nazi's. They act like the selfish, slave driving, dumbasses that we all associate Germans with. But don’t let their stupid attitude fool you. Oh no. The Krauts on POW have to be the most sneaky, intelligent, mesh of polygons to grace any computer game. That’s right. The AI is so advanced on POW that it's hard to believe that it's a game and not living, breathing environment. It's almost intimidating the way the Nazi's heads follow you as you stroll past them. Step out of line and you will be hunted down until the snivelling gits have you well and truly banged up in the cooler for the night.

Not only is the AI top notch, but also the huge prison environments you can explore are as well. There are 3 different prisons overall. The first is the holding camp. This is basically a miniature camp that you can explore to help you practise your sneaking skills. As you get better and better you will eventually visit the other 2 prisons, Stalag Luft, a prison similar to that in The Great Escape, and Castle Colditz, one of the hardest German prison camps to escape from. Each one is beautifully rendered with detail. The sky, which changes during the day, contains chirping birds, chairs can be knocked over, and every one of the prisoners that populate the camp are all characteristically different. You also get your resident chefs and nurses. The chefs even leave their kitchens to go and empty the bins! Superb! There are no jaggies in the graphics, the animation is smooth, and there is no hold up in the frame rate. Pretty remarkable considering the problems so many developers have had with anti-aliasing.

The main core of the game is about doing missions. Talking to the other prisoners will gain you missions that you must complete to succeed in the game. During play you will be instructed to play music over the loud speakers to raise the spirits of fellow inmates, pose as a Nazi guard, and even help inmates escape from the cooler, a room where they are locked up, and are prevented from moving around freely. Although these missions sound linear, they are most definitely not. There is always around 3 or 4 ways of completing a task. You could go over the fence in the day, decide to creep past the snoring guard at night, or even crawl under huts to avoid attention of the Krauts. It's entirely up to you. And that’s the magic of the game. Providing you stay out of sight, you can explore the camp with your own free will.

Overall POW is a magnificent creation. It blends humour with reality and makes this original title a joy to behold. Boasting brilliant AI, and superb graphical qualities, Prisoner Of War is one game you will not want to escape your clutches. It's original, funny, and darn right fun.
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:55
Regular
"  "
Honestly.....I do all this work especially for you and you ignore me :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.