GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The OFFICIAL Prisoner Of War post."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/07/02 at 10:23
Regular
Heres my Prisoner Of War post! To start us off I will write some info on the game.

Prisoner Of War

(http://www.codemasters.com/redirect DELETE ME!! /redirect.php?url=/pow/front.htm)

Pros +

-3 big areas to discover and look around + revisits to certain areas in different conditions.
-Lots of items to use.
-Unwinding plot that is discoved as the game progresses.
-Superior enemy AI said to be better than MGS2's.
-Lots of people to interact with including people that sell you items and let you play minigames.
-Daily routines that you must learn and adapt to.
-Graphics are clear and smooth.

Cons -

-Graphics may seem a little undetailed.
-A bit more linear than expected.
-No two player.
-Sometimes annoying camera angles.

My overall score 8/10

So theres the pros and cons. But how does it fair in certain catergories?

Graphics- Nothing great but they do the job and the day/night appearence is affective. 7/10

Gameplay- Very original. Deep down it is just another stealth but the idea and the way of portraying the idea is nice and new and a joy to play. 8/10

Sound- You do get a feel of your surroundings from the sound. Birds chirp and other stuff. Nice voice acting too. 8/10

Lifespan- The game may become a bit boring by the time you get to the end level but the story will keep you going. 7/10

Thanks for reading.

Now lets start this conversation!
Thu 18/07/02 at 10:23
Regular
"  "
Heres my Prisoner Of War post! To start us off I will write some info on the game.

Prisoner Of War

(http://www.codemasters.com/redirect DELETE ME!! /redirect.php?url=/pow/front.htm)

Pros +

-3 big areas to discover and look around + revisits to certain areas in different conditions.
-Lots of items to use.
-Unwinding plot that is discoved as the game progresses.
-Superior enemy AI said to be better than MGS2's.
-Lots of people to interact with including people that sell you items and let you play minigames.
-Daily routines that you must learn and adapt to.
-Graphics are clear and smooth.

Cons -

-Graphics may seem a little undetailed.
-A bit more linear than expected.
-No two player.
-Sometimes annoying camera angles.

My overall score 8/10

So theres the pros and cons. But how does it fair in certain catergories?

Graphics- Nothing great but they do the job and the day/night appearence is affective. 7/10

Gameplay- Very original. Deep down it is just another stealth but the idea and the way of portraying the idea is nice and new and a joy to play. 8/10

Sound- You do get a feel of your surroundings from the sound. Birds chirp and other stuff. Nice voice acting too. 8/10

Lifespan- The game may become a bit boring by the time you get to the end level but the story will keep you going. 7/10

Thanks for reading.

Now lets start this conversation!
Thu 18/07/02 at 11:15
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
This game ain't for me I'm afraid - just looks to boring if you like.

It just does not appeal at all.
Thu 18/07/02 at 11:25
Regular
"  "
Fair enough. However I think i'll like it as I loved Broken sword and Discworld and I expect it to be similar with an element of MGS.
Thu 18/07/02 at 11:58
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
This game does appeal to me.

I will no doubt be getting it.
Thu 18/07/02 at 13:32
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
I must admit I was really looking forward to this. I loved the "original" game "The Great Escape" on the C64 when I was a nipper and looked forward to reliving the fun again.

I may try renting it first and then buying or I may just act on impulse and buy anyway and risk having another dog in my collection.

I certainly don't mind not having to kill everything in site and have to use a bit of brain for a change

Only time will tell if I am right or wrong
Thu 18/07/02 at 13:51
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
I loved The Great Escape on the spectrum by ocean (don't know if it's same as c64 version) So was interested by this game.

Also i loved MGS2, but hated the action sequences. I wanted more of sneaky stealth and less, or none, of the end of level baddies gun fight. I hated , hated those bits, so i guess this is my kind of game.

Out tomorrow!! :D
Thu 18/07/02 at 14:13
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
oasismark wrote:
> I loved The Great Escape on the spectrum by ocean (don't know if it's
> same as c64 version) So was interested by this game.
>
> Also i loved MGS2, but hated the action sequences. I wanted more of
> sneaky stealth and less, or none, of the end of level baddies gun
> fight. I hated , hated those bits, so i guess this is my kind of
> game.
>
> Out tomorrow!! :D

Dohhh, I double posted the last one

The C64 and Spectrum versions were the same except the C64 had a better colour palette than the spectrums (Lets get the old C64 Vs Spectrum fighting reborn!)

I bet we could teach some of these young whippersnappers a thing or two about gameplay (KR you listening) When I were a lad good gameplay involved a sore wrist and blisters on the palm of your hand. And that was only after 1 hour of Daley Thompsons Decathlon
Thu 18/07/02 at 14:32
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
>
> The C64 and Spectrum versions were the same except the C64 had a
> better colour palette than the spectrums (Lets get the old C64 Vs
> Spectrum fighting reborn!)
>
> I bet we could teach some of these young whippersnappers a thing or
> two about gameplay (KR you listening) When I were a lad good gameplay
> involved a sore wrist and blisters on the palm of your hand. And that
> was only after 1 hour of Daley Thompsons Decathlon

YES a good ye olde games debate:

DT Decathlon: how many keboards and joysticks were destroyed with that game.

Loved the great escape, one of a few games i actually finished.
Thu 18/07/02 at 14:40
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Chech out this page:

http://www.emuunlim.com/hob/

no great escape on here but i have seen it somewhere, to play online.

Ah the memories!!!
Thu 18/07/02 at 15:06
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
oasismark wrote:
> Chech out this page:
>
> http://www.emuunlim.com/hob/
>
> no great escape on here but i have seen it somewhere, to play
> online.

FOUND IT!!!

Play the great escape online NOW.:::::

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/ infoseekplay.cgi?title=Great+Escape%2c+The&pub= Ocean+Software+Ltd&year=1986&joy=kemp&game=/ games/g/GreatEscapeThe.tap.zip&emu=3

(3 spaces)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.