GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lee Bowyer"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/07/02 at 14:21
Regular
Along with the appointment of a new manager comes a lot of new thoughts and ideas to be added into the first team squad. So now that Terry Venables has taken control of the first team affairs at Elland Road, the Leeds United players will have to expect changes and Mr.Ridsdale will have to remove the padlock and chain from his wallet so that 'El Tel' can spend big and bring in the treasures that O'Leary could not find.

In order for the Chairman to allow big money to go out he'll need to have that satisfaction and guarrentee that what goes out, will come back in some nice lump sums. And Terry Venables isn't the kind of manager who'll just snort at the chance to change things so that things suit him best.

It has come to us and Leeds fans themselves as no real surprise to see Venners stepping in to take action instantly, and begin to make changes within his first week back at the top. But it's the player envloved that causes the "Ooooooo"'s "Aaaaaaa"'s up and down the country.

It's none other than Lee Bowyer who's been Transfer Listed!
Leeds United's no.1 as of last season for his off-the-field antics along with Jonothan Woodgate - who remains in Venables' plans for now.
Of all the players in the entire Leeds squad, you wouldn't have thought that he'd be the unlucky one at this point in the time. Surely everyone connected with Leeds United has forgotten about his recent past, and the former Charlton man was on-fire for his sides end-of-season push into the UEFA Cup once again.

It's not my place to say if this is the wrong or right descision for Mr.Venables to make, that's why he was appointed as manager in the first place. I could never do his job!
Even if this is for better rather than for worse, Bowyer will still need a new place to play that he can also call his new 'home'. So which buyers would be right for him, and who should be taking note of this situation???

Well, for a start, there have already been quite a few strong rumours suggesting that Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier is very keen to sign this talented Englishman for around £9m - a decent price for a high-quality player who isn't wanted by his new manager.
With no other notable bids coming in for Lee's services, he should strongly consider playing at Anfield, in the big European matches against the big European teams - along with the likes of Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard and co.
Go for it! Along with the possibilliy of winning things and more money, playing at the top infront of The Kop could help boost your chances of playing for England even more!!

Well, as of now that's the only offer we've heard about regarding Bowyer leaving Elland Road. But I think there are one or two other Brittish clubs where he could slot into the midfield with a great effect...

Rangers - Besides Liverpool, and with Arsenal and Man United fine as they are with their midfields, there's really no other English Premiership club that could offer Lee Bowyer more than he was getting at Elland Road.
So what about playing in Scotland???
It's not like Rangers are a small club or anything, look at some of the big-names who have played there - including ex-Denmark star Brian Laudrup, England boozer Paul Gascoigne, and even Italy's Reno Gattusso!
Lee Bowyer could fit-in as the 'Midfield Maestro', scoring goal-after-goal alongside Barry Ferguson week-in week-out.
Rangers are the only team who can halt Celtic in their winning ways, and Bowyer could be just the right kind of input they need to get going again.
Not only would he be getting away from the jeers and taunts of Premiership fans, but he'd also get a nice Winter Break just in-time for Christmas.

Celtic - If he doesn't fancy Rangers then he can go to the current no.1 team in Scotland and work for the man that could've been at Elland Road in Martin O'Neill. Success would almost guarrenteed in his first season there after several consecutive years in pole position for The Hoops now.
His only problem would be shifting players like Paul Lambert and Neil Lennon from the team in order to get some match-practice. But i'm sure a fiery little dynamo like himself could soon do that no problem!

In short, the way I see it is this:
Lee Bowyer has had his fun in the Premiership, unless of course he really fancies the chance to play at Anfield and also feels he can move the likes of Hamman and the Cameroons back into the reserves. And besides, Liverpool have probably spent all they need to anyway. I think Houllier just wants Bowyer to make up the numbers for the Subs' Bench in Europe.
Scotland's the place to be (but not in the summer! Or in winter for that fact - unless you love snow...)
Why not try something new and improve your game one step further at a time?
Who knows, could be a trip to sunny old Spain after this - and then onto the World Cup in Germany!

If anyone misses out on his departure then it's Leeds themselves.
And to make matters worse the may be selling Dacourt too, and there's no 'New Bowyer' lined-up for the new season!
Then again... they could be selling Viduka or Kewell.... :S

Comment on Bowyer's situation. Where should he go??
Mon 22/07/02 at 14:40
Regular
Souness talking about Duff.

Souness told Sky Sports News: "Unless we get a ridiculous offer he will be playing for us next year and the year after.

"We have had two offers but I would not blame clubs for making offers. He is a very good player.

"It is going to take £20million-plus. If Rio Ferdinand is worth that money (£30million) then it must be the same for Duff. Traditionally strikers who make and take goals bring in more money so maybe he (Duff) is worth more money."

--------------------------------

Only one club in England that gonna pay that much for him :)
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:33
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Babbel is fit. I think he played in a friendly on Friday.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:32
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I also reckon that the deal was cancelled due to those recent additions to his bad off-the-pitch behaviour.

They should definitley go for Duff - he could do a good job out wide or just behind the front 2.

I think Babbel is gunna be ok, but it's still gunna be a while 'till he's back and fully fit.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:15
On the subject of Liverpool, does anyone know if Marcus Babbel is fit again and if not how long before he is.

And I also agree that Duff would be a much better signing for Liverpool than Bowyer. Bowyer has the talent but not the temprement to be a top player. Duff has huge potential for the future. I hear in the papers that a £15million signing may be a possibility.
Sun 21/07/02 at 20:32
Regular
Ant wrote:
>> The deal's off! YAY! Now Houllier can spend nine million pounds on a
> player like Damien Duff, who would ensure a great future for the club.

I think you will be looking at a lot more than £9m to land Duff, try nearer £20m.
Sun 21/07/02 at 20:30
Regular
"I like cheese"
Solskjær wrote:
> And what has Vladimir Smicer ever done for them!??

Scored a fantastic winner against Chelsea. {:)

The deal's off! YAY! Now Houllier can spend nine million pounds on a player like Damien Duff, who would ensure a great future for the club.
Sun 21/07/02 at 18:37
Regular
Maybe Liverpool didnt want him becasue of the Civil court action he may have to face in the near future...
Sun 21/07/02 at 14:19
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
Liverpool Abandon Bowyer deal:

Taken from: Ntl home

Liverpool have pulled out of the deal to bring Leeds midfielder Lee Bowyer to Anfield.

After a week of talks with the 25-year-old, boss Gerard Houllier was not convinced he was the right player for the club.

A statement on Liverpool's official website read: "Liverpool Football Club have decided not to go ahead with the proposed transfer of Lee Bowyer for a variety of reasons.

"Manager Gerard Houllier was not convinced the player had either the hunger or desire to play for the club, qualities which are essential for any Liverpool player."

Bowyer's immediate future is now unclear. But Terry Venables would no doubt be happy to see the talented midfielder return to Elland Road.

The England hopeful has been on the transfer list since rejecting the offer of a five-year contract worth a reported £10million at the end of May.

Chairman Peter Ridsdale was angry that after six months of talks Bowyer told him he had taken a career decision to leave - and he responded that the whole affair had been "a waste of our time".

Bowyer's ability has never been called into question, and indeed Sven-Goran Eriksson revealed he intended to give Bowyer his chance in the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign.

But Bowyer's off-the-field activities have continued to cast a shadow over his career.

The claims of Houllier that Bowyer lacks both the "hunger" and "desire" to pull on the club's famous red shirt are another hurdle for the player to overcome if he is to prove his critics wrong.
Sat 20/07/02 at 18:34
Regular
bowyer is amazing and i can't believe he is going to liverpool. Someone like Chelsea (my club)(would have ruled with Lampard for years!) should have bought him who desperately need a classy midfielder and he was a bargain too! Arsenal should have bid to as they need him they only have viera in the middle.
Sat 20/07/02 at 13:41
Regular
from ananova.com
--------------------

Woodgate and Bowyer to face civil court action

Leeds United footballer Jonathan Woodgate is to be prosecuted in the civil court along with his team-mate Lee Bowyer, it has emerged.

The disgraced star faces action for damages over his involvement in a vicious attack on Asian brothers Sarfraz and Shahzad Najeib outside a Leeds nightclub in January 2000.

News of the proposed action against him comes the day after Bowyer was served with legal papers over the events of that night.

Bowyer and Woodgate, along with others, twice faced lengthy criminal proceedings in relation to an attack on the Najeib brothers, which left Sarfraz with a catalogue of appalling injuries.

Woodgate was found guilty of affray at the end of a re-trial. Bowyer was acquitted on charges of grievous bodily harm and affray.

Asked if there were any plans to take civil action against Woodgate, Najeib's solicitor, Imran Khan said: "I can confirm he will be prosecuted in the civil courts. We said at the time of the trial that the family were considering taking action against those who, in their eyes carried out the attack."

"We are taking advice in relation to each individual but I can say that Woodgate definitely would be somebody that we would prosecute. We are not running on a timetable as far as he is concerned."

Bowyer, who is in talks over a proposed £9 million transfer from Leeds to Liverpool, faces a lawsuit in excess of £100,000. The writ claims Bowyer was responsible for attacking the student as he lay on the ground.

A list of injuries to Sarfraz, including multiple facial fractures, a broken leg and a bite to his left cheek, are cited in the claim lodged with the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court of Justice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.