GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is ht eX-Box online yet? can it get virus's"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/07/02 at 03:15
Regular
My mate has just bought a X-Box and he has no idea about it, and unfortunately aither have i, but i want to know if it is on the internet yet and if it is how do you get on?
Secondily IF IT is online is it possible to get any types of virus's on the net and console?
Thirdly what can the virus do to the console?
Tue 16/07/02 at 19:21
Regular
er-no i think you have a problem with Microsoft.

They released Windows 98, with many bugs - True but they released 2nd edition to fix this :-)

I think it is very unlikely the xbox will get a virus....
Tue 16/07/02 at 00:48
Regular
I dont think that the Xbox will be able to get a virus, i think the internet options only allow you to download safe files. There will definately be some small print saying that any file downloaded from a 'non-microsoft' source can not be accountable by the microsoft company.

I remember when i had Phantasy Star Online for the dreamcast hackers were able to mess things up. They managed to delete everything off my memory card (twice). and just constant annoyances causing me to lose character levels and weapons.

This could happen to anyconsole. Just because the xbox has a harddrive, it is basically just a huge memory card. If the xboxs 'memory card' can be erased, then so can the gamecubes and the PS2's. Its just a matter of who is going to win. - MS or the hackers...... *looks around shiftily*

cmon Bill!
Tue 16/07/02 at 00:22
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Wasn't the Dreamcast the victim of a virus ? I heard a game in Japan caused it, but it still shows that a console could fall victim to a virus and the Dreamcast doesn't have a hard drive. Don't ask me what the virus did cause I can't remember, all I remember is that some game in Japan left a lot of Japanese DC owners a little miffed.
Tue 16/07/02 at 00:04
Regular
"everyone says it"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Well the X-Box isn't the only console going online is it. Sony and
> even Nintendo with its little online support face the same situation.
> Microsoft are putting a lot of money and effort into X-Box Live so out
> of the three, I have more confidence in Microsoft to deal with the
> likes of hackers better.

Not at all, the XBox has a harddrive... this was actually a reason the PS2 didn't come with an installed one.
Tue 16/07/02 at 00:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well the X-Box isn't the only console going online is it. Sony and even Nintendo with its little online support face the same situation. Microsoft are putting a lot of money and effort into X-Box Live so out of the three, I have more confidence in Microsoft to deal with the likes of hackers better.
Mon 15/07/02 at 23:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
It will probably happen though.
Mon 15/07/02 at 23:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Don't take this as definate, but unlike the Dreamcast, I don't think X-Box Live will let you surf the net. I think links for any downloads will take you straight to sites that provide them rather than just having you go around the web where hackers can prey on you so easily.

Obviously as far as playing through the PC goes for games like Halo, its a risk you take if you want to desperately try it, otherwise its a case of waiting for the official network to start up.
I guess it comes down to seeing how it turns out when it happens. I remember Microsoft saying that X-Box Live will be purely based around games and will ignore the likes of browsing web sites as that can be done on your PC.

Overall I doubt Microsoft have overlooked the threat of hackers and have looked into ways of stopping them from ruining peoples experience of online gaming.
Its ashame that this is even a factor that has to be thought about as you have to be a very sad pathetic person to get a kick out of revolving your life around ruining things for other people in that way.
Mon 15/07/02 at 22:43
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> At this rate Norton Anti Virus is gonna be at the top the Xbox's
> most
> anticipated games list :D
>
> how old are you? because i'd say that was an immature joke you terd. i
> suggest you f**k off back to Nintendo forums because all the XBOX fans
> in here wanna "bust your head till the white meat shows" :-)

My God you really have a problem with reading things don't you, you see that smilee thing at the end of my post, it means joke as in i'm only joking.

I thought i'd seen zealots but i'd seen nothing compared to the shear stupidity of some of the posters in this forum. Think before you post next time idiot.
Mon 15/07/02 at 22:25
Regular
"everyone says it"
Edgy wrote:
> I haven't read all the messages in this topic, so sorry if I'm
> repeating what someone else has said.
>
> It's not impossible for a console to get a virus. There was one for
> the Dreamcast. Plus I heard that hackers messed things up for online
> gamers on Phantasy Star Online...

It is possible.
Mon 15/07/02 at 22:00
Regular
I haven't read all the messages in this topic, so sorry if I'm repeating what someone else has said.

It's not impossible for a console to get a virus. There was one for the Dreamcast. Plus I heard that hackers messed things up for online gamers on Phantasy Star Online...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.