GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is ht eX-Box online yet? can it get virus's"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/07/02 at 03:15
Regular
My mate has just bought a X-Box and he has no idea about it, and unfortunately aither have i, but i want to know if it is on the internet yet and if it is how do you get on?
Secondily IF IT is online is it possible to get any types of virus's on the net and console?
Thirdly what can the virus do to the console?
Sun 14/07/02 at 03:15
My mate has just bought a X-Box and he has no idea about it, and unfortunately aither have i, but i want to know if it is on the internet yet and if it is how do you get on?
Secondily IF IT is online is it possible to get any types of virus's on the net and console?
Thirdly what can the virus do to the console?
Sun 14/07/02 at 10:32
Regular
Technically no, the xbox isn’t on the Internet just yet. Microsoft are releasing a thing called “xbox live” in November time. Xbox live is a service, which allows you to play games across the servers, with added features like a buddy messenger service and updates for games. You can play Halo online now using your PC, a program called xbconnect does this by fooling your xbox into thinking you are playing over a LAN connection, the program makes a tunnel between you and your opponent to play against each other. You can get xbconnect from www.xbconnect.com.

As far as I know I don’t think you can get viruses from using the xbox live service as Microsoft approves things that are there.
Sun 14/07/02 at 10:44
Regular
"BOSE"
i'm not possitive about that. i dunno much about it, but it's still gonna be connected to the internet. and we all know, (well most of us) that if you have a line connected into your PC it's gonna be the same as having a line connected into your XBOX. they both have lines, (phone lines) and hackers can get into those lines. this is just my theory so don't panic ;-)
maybe when it comes more into time of it's release, MS'll tell us that the XBOX has a bulit in anti-virus or something, or maybe it's impossible for a console to get a virus. i dunno :-S
the XBOX has a HD (hard drive), PCs have HDs, hackers love hacking into HDs. only MS know at this stage...
Sun 14/07/02 at 18:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
Virus's have been developed for the XBox, some really seriously harsh ones as well... including ones which stop things working... the XBox can go online if you know how to get it connected through a PC and then across onto a server.... I know a few people who have played Halo online.
Sun 14/07/02 at 19:01
Regular
I beleive microsft will kill off these xbox viruses, and yes you can play halo online through what i explained below.
Sun 14/07/02 at 19:25
Regular
"everyone says it"
gamezfreak wrote:
> I beleive microsft will kill off these xbox viruses, and yes you can
> play halo online through what i explained below.

How do you even 'believe' Microsoft will begin to kill off these virus's? Thats the HUGE problem with having the harddrive within the console... its a virus magnet. Microsoft will probably release a AntiVirus which will cost 44.99 and will have updates which you also have to pay for.

*raises middle finger towards Microsoft*
Sun 14/07/02 at 19:42
Regular
Microsoft are an extremely reliable company, i have had no problems with them and they look after customers well.
Sun 14/07/02 at 22:07
ok now we have two topics or suggestions, one person says it is reliable and the other says its a magnet? so which do i go with?
Mon 15/07/02 at 18:12
Regular
Sigh, i would'nt worry. er-no is too intensivly in love with his Gamecube :-)

I think all downloads have to be approved my microsoft so i dont think you will be getting any viruses.
Mon 15/07/02 at 19:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Sigh, i would'nt worry. er-no is too intensivly in love with his
> Gamecube :-)
>
> I think all downloads have to be approved my microsoft so i dont think
> you will be getting any viruses.

The smiley face won't help you muggins. I am trying to answer honestly by what I know from work. I am not in love with my GameCube. I have all three consoles and give each game I play an equal chance as well as the hardware I play it on. I only have Halo on my Xbox, I don't like any of the other games on the console and the ones I would buy I already own on my PS2.

You CAN and will be able to get virus's for the Xbox, Microsoft will not try and prevent it, merely say sorry and chat crap about how the Xbox2 will offer anti-virus hardware.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.