GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Happy St George's Day."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/08 at 10:15
"possibly impossible"
Does anyone here actually celebrate St George's Day? Is it worth celebrating?

It seems that every other country enjoys celebrating their national day, except for England. There may be problems in this country, but it's still worth celebrating the beauty of the land and all the good things we have here.

So, happy St George's Day to all you English people (and supporters of English people) everywhere!
Sat 26/04/08 at 15:30
"i suck them all day"
thnkx,, i got blinded for a laugh lol,,
Thu 24/04/08 at 00:49
"possibly impossible"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Anyway, perhaps we should just celebrate England day rather
> than
> a particular Saint? Or do we need a figurehead to inspire us
> to
> national pride?
>
> I'd still much rather 'St George's Day' than 'Jeremy Kyle Day'

Made me chuckle.

We could have any number of English people from our (sometimes questionable) history, I suppose. Lennon day? Brunel day? Churchill Day? Mercury Day? Sinclair Day?
Thu 24/04/08 at 00:34
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
MarcoG wrote:
> We could all start drinking Green King IPA???

Nothing wrong with it, I'd say drink Fuller's London Pride instead though!

Few people do much for it, a couple of years back I saw Saxon in London on St George's Day and they decided to throw in their song Lionheart in honour of the fact (This was on a tour where they played all pre-1985 material, so this was something!), and two years later decided to do a gig celebrating the day in London. Shame I missed it up here in Norwich!

But, aside from St George's Day parades back when I was a Scout, nothing seems to happen, really. Although at least it hasn't become a celebration of booze like St Paddy's; if you think about it, the guy credited with bringing christianity to Ireland would be a little upset to see it!

But, hell, it give Irish-Americans a chance to argue who is more Irish. Yes, I've heard reports of such!
Wed 23/04/08 at 23:12
Regular
pb wrote:
> Anyway, perhaps we should just celebrate England day rather than
> a particular Saint? Or do we need a figurehead to inspire us to
> national pride?

I'd still much rather 'St George's Day' than 'Jeremy Kyle Day'
Wed 23/04/08 at 22:57
"possibly impossible"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> The most famous legend of Saint George is of him slaying a
> dragon. In the Middle Ages the dragon was commonly used to
> represent the Devil. The slaying of the dragon by St George was
> first credited to him in the twelfth century, long after his
> death. It is therefore likely that the many stories connected
> with St George's name are fictitious.

>

I believe the Dragon story originated from the returning Crusaders. They probably heard a similar story from Greek mythology and adapted it.

St George wasn't really well known and the 'less' fictitious story is that he was a Roman soldier ordered to pursecute Christians, but refusing and being tortured for it.

Anyway, perhaps we should just celebrate England day rather than a particular Saint? Or do we need a figurehead to inspire us to national pride?
Wed 23/04/08 at 22:44
Regular
The most famous legend of Saint George is of him slaying a dragon. In the Middle Ages the dragon was commonly used to represent the Devil. The slaying of the dragon by St George was first credited to him in the twelfth century, long after his death. It is therefore likely that the many stories connected with St George's name are fictitious.

Nothing like celebrating a fictitious figure with made up stories about him.

But then, sometimes you find the 'told' story is a metaphor for what really happened. For him to perhaps slay a dragon meant he took part in a large personal journey and came out a lot stronger by defeating something perhaps that was a problem to him.

Or someone just thought it'd be fun to say he killed a dragon.
Wed 23/04/08 at 20:47
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It's odd as I don't believe St George was English, or ever lived near England.

Mate cancelled on me then decided to stay at home and watch the game. Only to realise that it was on Sky Sports (which I don't have) and that we are out of beer.

So I celebrated being English in the only other way I know how. Have a penalty shootout in the garden with my dog and miss every single one of them :D
Wed 23/04/08 at 20:00
Regular
pb wrote:
> Perhaps we should have a more relevant saint as our patron
> though? There are a few English Saints such as Saint Edmund
> (popular with Blackadder fans, perhaps?)

Edmund sounds good but I'd rather just have a normal National Day. No religious references and lots of parades with huge floating characters and fireworks.

"St. George's Day is not celebrated as much in England as other National Days are around the world; it is simply acknowledged. It was once a major feast in England on a par with Christmas from the early 15th century. However, this tradition had waned by the end of the 18th century."

Blimey, we stopped caring as early as three hundred years ago? Singapore has a good national day so it'd be nice if we could have something like that instead.
Wed 23/04/08 at 18:31
Regular
MCNUGGETS
Wed 23/04/08 at 18:11
Regular
Depression Awareness Week? Had no idea

As for St George's Day.. I'm not English. Although I may be living in England soon. I wouldn't.. heartily celebrate it, but I do like little festivals and what not. I think it's nice to celebrate things, meaningless or not. It's meaningless to me, I should say, but I think it's just a good excuse as any to have little things going on.

I don't celebrate St David's Day either, if that's wondered. I'm not much of a loyalist to anything, personally - I believe in one world. The little celebrations of their own -part- of the world are nice, but not as important as recognising the bigger picture, I feel.

Either way, if you're up to any celebrationary things, have a nice time!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.