GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box or Playstation 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/07/02 at 23:04
Regular
X box with internet ready and games with realistic graphics
playstation 2 with not yet internet but very fast loading and good graphics,
Wed 10/07/02 at 16:09
Regular
i see Techno freak has made is point then......
Wed 10/07/02 at 16:06
Regular
"bit of a brain"
This hast to be the ultimate in pointless quoting.

Some of the posts in this topic are frankly ridiculous in length, and I really wonder how many people can be bothered to read all of the things people are writing. Especially when people are writing such ridiculous amounts about console wars. This is soooo pointless.

And the posts where people quote really long posts just to add their own comments in at the bottom, or in the middle, especially when the quoted post is right beneath the new one.

It infuriates me so
Wed 10/07/02 at 15:54
Regular
Hello everybody I'm back!

I don't dis every console going just the ones that deserve it. I have also got a GC and I find it to be a good partnership because it offers or will something different to my PS2, could do with some more exclusive games though. However the Xbox offers me nothing I have not already got., the games are expensive, the controllers a design SOS, why are they custom USB ports, no dial up facility, and why should I pay for a dvd remote to play movies, it looks like it belongs in the 80's and quite frankly when Bill say's " It will revolutionise the games industry" I have to say where because most of the games on Xbox are ps2 ripoffs. It is all about bully boy bill trying to monopolise the videogame industry with his glitch and bug ridden machine and I for one am please Sony is there to put him in his place.
Wed 10/07/02 at 15:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Techno freak wrote:
> How can that be a proper question when there's only one true games
> console and it aint the black desktop machine.

Yes, but we aren't all fan-boys like you.

Anyway, I have a PS2 and GC, and I'd there as good as each other because they both have things in their games and hardware which appeal to me. I don't think it would be fair to put one of the consoles over the other.
Wed 10/07/02 at 13:14
Regular
How can that be a proper question when there's only one true games console and it aint the black desktop machine.
Wed 10/07/02 at 00:46
Regular
Can I just say that I don't give a flying duck which console is best.
Wed 10/07/02 at 00:23
Regular
As the students walk outside Johnny turns to Kate (i watch BB too much)

"Kate, I am very scared. I think I am filled with too much console knowledge and if I know anymore I will just explode. I need to relive my stress!"

"Well Johnny. You know that Rez is a very relieve game and it's viuals are quite stunning. Thats mostly because the PS2 has great visua..."

KAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOM!
Wed 10/07/02 at 00:23
Regular
As the students walk outside Johnny turns to Kate (i watch BB too much)

"Kate, I am very scared. I think I am filled with too much console knowledge and if I know anymore I will just explode. I need to relive my stress!"

"Well Johnny. You know that Rez is a very relieve game and it's viuals are quite stunning. Thats mostly because the PS2 has great visua..."

KAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOM!
Wed 10/07/02 at 00:16
Regular
"..."
That ends today's lecture, please take a handout as you leave and keep quiet till you have left the building.
Wed 10/07/02 at 00:13
"Stupid Newbie :D"
savatt1668 wrote:
> When you've written tons of posts in reply to fanboys and god knows
> what else, it becomes boring.

*Yawns*

Yes, and? I deal with several a day between WRATH's forums, another company's and the SR ones, and this is not exactly something recent - dealt with my fair share of morons in the past. Fact of the matter is, your initial reply was nothing but what you've just said bores you, which would make you a hypocrite. ;)

> Overall I like any consoles really, theres none
> that I hate but I come off as some big fan of only the X-Box cause
> there seems to be a constant situation where I'm defending it.

Yet defending it blindly, why bother? ;)

> As for
> my lack of facts, I stand corrected again, MGS: Substance and Baldur's
> Gate: Dark Alliance are obviously not coming out on X-Box and Halo is
> only doing well because of the name Microsoft and not because a large
> number of people are enjoying it.

Thats exactly why Halo sells well, everyone knows the name Microsoft, as its more than likely everyone who owns a PC does, or has used Windows at some point or another.

> But saying that, what makes you so special in that I should spend ages
> looking at posts, reviews and sites that you've done just to reply to
> something you've said in this thread ?

Not ages at all, 5mins tops for the lot, the point is you didn't - you instead made a complete clown of yourself by replying with a one sentence post... didn't do you any favours, did it? ;)
Had you actually put forward your point of view in an adult manner like everyone else has, you wouldn't be having to justify your every comment now.

> Your pretty quick to laugh at
> my background knowledge of you and yet you constantly refer to me as a
> kid over and over again which kinda turns the tables on the comment of
> being snot nosed and arrogant.

It doesn't at all, seeing your behaviour and attitude in your initial reply is enough to get a pretty decent idea of how old you are both physically and mentally.

> Ssssssssshhh, don't tell anyone else this, but I think this is a
> videogame forum, not an English class.

Not being able to speak your own language correctly doesn't exactly lend you any credence, especially not when you're trying to convince someone that you AREN'T braindead. ;)

> As for me taking you as saying
> that Halo is crap, your whole post rips into Microsoft and everything
> about the X-Box in a constant negative way, am I supposed to know that
> under all of it you actually have anything good to say about the game
> ? Again, with you coming accross as totally hostile towards the
> console and its games, why would I want to read a review of Halo by
> you when it seems pretty obvious what you think of it ?

Besides the fact it was mentioned previously? ;)
I gave the game a fair review, it doesn't dote on Microsoft's and the fanboys' every word, and it doesn't sugar coat - but it is fair.

> Well thats a matter of opinion. A lot of people were happy with the
> likes of Halo, Project Gothem Racing, Dead Or Alive 3 and Jet Set
> Radio Future.

I only see two games worth even considering in that list, those being Halo and Jet Set Radio, the original title was fantastic on the DC and is what gave way to the frequent use of cell shading now. Dead or Alive may look fancy, but IMO thats it, sadly its going the same way Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat went - WAY too many sequels.

> So basically what your saying is if it doesn't come out on your
> console first, theres no point in having it ?

Nope, read. I'm saying you can hardly coo over it being such a special thing for the X-Box, when the exact same game is going to be available on another next gen' system, before it's release on Microsoft's effort. If anything thats going to create more draw away from the X-Box... if Microsoft wanted to up their custom quickly they should've had more original titles slated for release.

> Entering the games market isn't a crime and neither is having ambition
> to succeed.

There is a difference between being ambitious, and pretending you've already cornered the market in console gaming and have won the console war, which is exactly what Microsoft did - they have a habit of being way too confident, way too early, and the end result is that they always have something blow up in their face. Case in point; Windows ME, and to a lesser extent XP.

> Would you prefer a company to come into the market with
> the attitude "We really suck, please be gentle with us Mr
> Rivals" ?

No, but doing the same thing everyone else does, and going about it with a degree of modesty is always good for PR and sales. ;)

> Still good ? You go on about Halo being rushed, yet Tekken Tag is a
> blatent example of a game that was rushed out for launch.

Tekken is yet another game fallen victim to carrying on past the point of no return. It would've likely recieved less interest even if it had been halfway decent.

> As for Rogue Leader, yes it looks nice - I owned the game. But its
> nothing that can't be done on the X-Box.

Exactly my point, so why ISN'T it?

> Every blade of grass can be seen on the ground in a field, different
> textures on things such as rocks and trees, dead bodies, bullet holes
> and blood staying where they hit and not disappearing after a few
> seconds. Then of course theres the likes of the excellent A.I in the
> game.

Not every blade of grass, a few decals at oppurtune places, and most FPS games have these now - take a look at the Medal of Honour series, for example. Character damage has been as standard since Quake 2 and Kingpin as well. As I stated, nothing I haven't seen before, nothing groundbreaking. The A.I., multiplayer, and level size are the only things the game has going for it unfortunately. Using the kind of processing power the system supposedly has, and the storage capacity of DVD medium, the graphic quality should've been 10 times better.

> It depends who you ask really. As far as people who have played games
> for a long period of time go, your right, its down to a lack of faith
> in Sega. Ask the people who were basically introduced to gaming
> through the Playstation (i.e The new audience range) and it was really
> down to the reason I gave. Sony brought a "cool" image to
> games so a lot of people just believed that the Playstation brand was
> the one to own.

I always refer to the mainstream consumers when it comes to gaming, those being the ones who've been around for a while, in comparison to the people who've only just bought themselves a console the percentage is much higher - as someone who's followed a company or companies for several years is going to introduce their family and friends to it, with enough knowledge on the topic to maybe sway a few others into getting one. Someone who's just gotten into it holds very little sway.

> Wow, for someone who wants to stick to things that are available now,
> you sure changed your tune when it came to patches. So far, the only
> one I've heard of was in America for DOA3 which was put with one of
> the magazines over there so that American X-Box owners could get the
> extra costumes that were added in later which we benefited from from
> the start. Plus even if patches do come out with extras for games,
> your not required to buy them, it comes down to the same thing as the
> PS2 and Gamecube's HDD's - an apparent luxury.

You shouldn't be required to buy them at all... theres a difference between a few extras being included in the same game on another system's port, and additions being made after release because the developers screwed up. If you buy a game for your X-Box, you expect to have that FULL game, then you find out a mate has the exact same thing with 35 extra levels, two new gameplay modes, and some new vehicles because Microsoft felt the need to leech a bit more cash. Now you're going to be annoyed, as you've already bought the game, so why didn't you have all of that on it's release? These add-ons are something that should've been included with the game from the start, whereas a HDD is entirely optional, and isn't going to make much difference on your existing games.

> But wasn't it you who was claiming the X-Box to be a PC in a box ?

Yes, in referance to the fact that the console should've actually been created so it fulfilled everything required to play a game seamlessly, and milk every bit of processing power it could whilst using new technology. All Microsoft did was dump a few existing PC parts in a box and call it something they'd invented themselves.

> Exactly, its not that it can't be done, its just that these 2
> particular titles aren't available yet. Theres nothing to stop the
> companies releasing version just as good as the console ones.

Yet again, my point exactly, why DIDN'T they?

> Explain ?

Using PC parts, adding a HDD, internet access, and essentially what are just PC games with minor alterations to the code is beginning to blur the contrast between console and PC.

> I knew why the PS1 had problems, but I ended up having trouble with
> the PS2 as well which didn't do many favours for my confidence in
> Sony. My Dreamcast also basically conked out one day and never worked
> again. Other people I know also had problems with these consoles too
> so I'm not totally alone in the situation. Until it happens, I have
> no reason to slate the X-Box for any problems like this.

A system can pack in for any number of reasons, the most common one is when someone's knocked it about frequently, or let it get filled with muck - a'la one mate whose PS1 is completely clogged with birdseed.
You don't need the added bonus of having to maintain a HDD every few months, or risk your system dying.

> Same can be said for Halo though. That can be played online right now
> if you want to go out your way to do it. Although broadband isn't
> exactly booming over here yet, I'm happy that Microsoft are
> concentrating on that direction as it will no doubt help a lot as far
> as lag goes. Theres not a lot more annoying than an online game thats
> ruined by lag. I experienced this a lot with the Dreamcast, not just
> in Quake 3, but also PSO too. It was frustrating to pay out full
> whack on my phonebill while getting what felt like a half ar5ed
> service.

Again, more down to the programming of the network parts of the game, than it is down to the connection. Although several things can be done to improve the quality of your phoneline's transmission.

> Not everyone is a tech nerd who knows the pros and cons of
> having a console with a built in or seperate HDD, etc.

Exactly what Microsoft rely on and pray for when they're suckering someone. "Windows ME is SO user friendly even a complete novice can use it"... 14 days later, complete novice is on the phone to Microsoft tech support, asking him why part of his HDD is apparently invisible and the computer crashes at the exact same time each hour. "Sorry, but you've paid us now, sod off and just check Microsoft update".

> Why ? Is the PS2 not allowed to be put into this topic ?

The PS2 has been in the topic from the start, what I contested is your avoiding the question you were asked.

> As for
> ports and original development, original development is great, but you
> need more than that. People get used to names such as Unreal, MGS,
> Couter-Strike, etc. Why do you think Nintendo release new Mario and
> Zelda games constantly ? Cause it sells !

Sequels, not ports. How many systems other than Nintendo ones have had LEGAL Mario or Zelda ports, answer? None.

> Again, I didn't realise this was a Uni student perfect English
> language forum. I haven't seen too much fact on your behalf either,
> its all a case of "coulds" and "shoulds".

Never said it was, I did however say you show yourself to be a complete idiot, and the opnion still stands. ;)

> I meant outside your little online RPG. You know REAL girls.

Yes child, you generally have to be with REAL girls in order to be having any kind of sex life, unlike you I don't believe its possible to do virtually... but seeing as you're the expert on the subject, I'm sure you'll enlighten us all. ;)

> Well I have owned every major console for like the past 16 years or so
> including the GC and PS2 which I think gives me just as much right to
> comment on them as you.

Yet you've done no such thing, need I quote your original post, or are you capable of scrolling and reading it yourself? ;)

> Like I said before, I don't see anything special about you in
> particular that tells me I should run around looking up everything
> about you. My assumptions of you are no worse than you assuming I'm a
> kid based on the fact that I'm not a specs nerd and don't write
> perfect written English in a videogame forum. Feels like I'm arguing
> with the guy from the comicbook shop in the Simpsons.

Doesn't have to be anything special about whoever it is you're arguing with to merit doing a little reading up on them. Although you can complete disregard doing so when it turns out to be some childish chump whose sole reply to a debate is "Thats a load of crap". ;)
I feel like I'm having a conversation with Barney, only without him being legally able to drink alcohol. ;)

> I'll tell you when you shut up.

*laughs*

Pipe down little one. ;)

No, really, whats bliss like? ;)

> No, I'm talking from the point of a player, your talking from the
> point of a console inards nerd.

No, you're talking from the point of view of some underdeveloped borderline moron, and I'm talking from the point of view of a gamer who's been around long enough to see several companies rise and fall. Get it right. ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.