GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why don't we care when dead British soldiers come home?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/04/08 at 11:53
Regular
Okay I have a link to the Daily Mail but I've been wanting to do this thread for awhile. Apparently in Canada and American especially, they really make an effort to welcome home the dead soldiers that went to fight for their country. However our boys don't seem to get the same treatment. There was also something in the news about requesting them not to wear uniforms in public or something along those lines.

According to the newspapers we should all be ashamed of ourselves and we should be showing more support and respect for the people who risked their lives for our country.

So what do you think of all this? Is it our fault? Should we be doing more to show our support for our troops? Why aren't you all going out to buy (made in China) mini flags and waving them in the streets?

And why isn't Hippyman even considering a job in the army despite all those "cool" adverts on TV like the guys on that really sunny tropical beach having a laugh. In Singapore (like Italy) every young man has to enlist in the army for several years. Maybe this is something we might have to do when we run out of soldiers?
Sun 13/04/08 at 15:06
Regular
"eat toast!"
i hear plenty of doctors are joining the army. Apparently they do have decent pension schemes.My brother seems to tell me a lot about how joining the army isn't all that bad. You can retire early, get decent pay and pensions. Although he didn't mention anything about the equipment shortages.

Conscription isn't really needed. It just forms a very poor quality army if you don't have properly trained soldiers. We don't need to gear towards a total war mentality like say israel. But some discipline among those god damn chavs might be a great idea to make them more productive.
Sun 13/04/08 at 14:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Every country I can think of has 'conscription' or compulsory service in that countries armed forces. We had it until the late fifties or early sixties. It did no harm to any that were 'conscripted'. However our government, of the day, decided it wasn't necessary and so it went...now we reap the benefits of a 'no conscription' society...I'll leave you to fill in the gaps.

Hippyman didn't want to join the Army, he was interested in the RAF as a career - we discussed this recently as my youngest son (21) has just been accepted and starts 11th May for his 29 weeks training...more needed.

I've also considered 'action' as to the way our forces personnel are treated and yes, I did see the report in the newspaper recently. But what can you do? The government is being pressurized to provide some recognition ie medals but is that happening?

Would any of you be happy if conscription was re-introduced for 18-22 year olds? Or would you just react like the American youth of the sixties - protest against the 'draft'?

Perhaps it's a question that will never be answered....
Sun 13/04/08 at 12:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Well i can think of at least three reasons.

A) This is the UK, we dont feel the need to do big classless emotional ceremonies en masse, thank god.

B) This is the most hated unnecessary war we've been involved in since ... well i honestly cannot think of a more hated or unnecessary war. People want to forget about it.
Dont think it helps that the army has sort of become like a new religion in some ways, and as such is mocked in the same way as Scientology.

C) National pride is a banned substance.

Comparing to the other side of the pond, there's no battle for hearts and minds over here. We're a peaceful, secure country and really dont feel the need to have a huge army at our disposal to defend against the strange shouty coloured people.
I dont agree with the current treatment of the army but blame the government for that. They've been misused, sold down the river and hired out like cheap hookers to foreign governments.

As for conscription. My reply wont get past the swearfilter.
Sun 13/04/08 at 11:53
Regular
Okay I have a link to the Daily Mail but I've been wanting to do this thread for awhile. Apparently in Canada and American especially, they really make an effort to welcome home the dead soldiers that went to fight for their country. However our boys don't seem to get the same treatment. There was also something in the news about requesting them not to wear uniforms in public or something along those lines.

According to the newspapers we should all be ashamed of ourselves and we should be showing more support and respect for the people who risked their lives for our country.

So what do you think of all this? Is it our fault? Should we be doing more to show our support for our troops? Why aren't you all going out to buy (made in China) mini flags and waving them in the streets?

And why isn't Hippyman even considering a job in the army despite all those "cool" adverts on TV like the guys on that really sunny tropical beach having a laugh. In Singapore (like Italy) every young man has to enlist in the army for several years. Maybe this is something we might have to do when we run out of soldiers?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.