GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the getaway"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/06/02 at 21:17
Regular
thats the one where its a bit like gta3 but its in london innit? wont it be pretty much of thye same old stuff that gta3 did, but less original?

that said, any game where u can driv about london, is good. anyone elses views?
Sun 30/06/02 at 21:17
thats the one where its a bit like gta3 but its in london innit? wont it be pretty much of thye same old stuff that gta3 did, but less original?

that said, any game where u can driv about london, is good. anyone elses views?
Sun 30/06/02 at 23:20
"High polygon count"
I'm hoping they do a good job of it. If they do, it could be far better than GTA3. Graphically, it already is - I just hope they get the gameplay right.
Mon 01/07/02 at 10:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Check out the official site which has just launched. It's got screenshots and info about the main characters and places in the game, not to mention of some of the cars that will appear. You can also download the official trailer for the game, it's the one from E3 only not as dark.

It's looking good, hopefully it will play just as well as the developer are saying it will. Can't wait for it.

http://www.thegetaway.co.uk/
Mon 01/07/02 at 11:00
it does look good, and you see them wallpapers? are they in game pics?
Mon 01/07/02 at 11:33
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yep, they are in-game pics, though they have been altered slightly sinse it's wallpaper. Download the trailer, it shows in-game footage and looks amazing. I'm very excited about this game, I just hope it doesn't dissapoint me on it's release.
Mon 01/07/02 at 13:42
"High polygon count"
It's looking fantastic, isn't it? :-)

Things I noticed:

* No real evidence of pop-up; a little fogging in the distance until you're close enough to see the detail, but with a game area this size (80 accurate square miles of London I think it is?), that can easily be forgiven. Certainly doesn't seem to interfere with gameplay!

* Decent frame-rate at all times.

* No missing roads! Most of us know the problem with roads appearing at certain points in GTA3 - none of that here, and it's more detailed.

* Unlike Wreckless, you actually hit streetlights etc. rather than passing through them. Yes, I know that's a 'design feature' of Wreckless, but it just looks stupid.

* The ability to use people as Human Shields! Check out one of the warehouse scenes, and the guy is holding another person in front of him as he moves forward! That will be excellent!

* The driving dynamic seems much the same as GTA3, which will be fantastic. Of course, if they get it to Driver standard, it will be awesome.

I hope they keep it on track and don't fudge anything up before launch.

PSM2 said that this looked unlikely to topple GTA3. I don't usually find myself disagreeing with much that they say, but I think they've got this one completely wrong.

There's still time for things to go wrong with it, of course, but I think it has the potential to be PS2's biggest game to date. Get it right and they'll shift another large batch of PS2's I reckon.
Mon 01/07/02 at 13:46
It has twitchy handling, according to Edge.
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:00
"High polygon count"
Yep, one of the PS2 mags said the same about the handling. But it looks much like GTA3, which I also found twitchy until I got used to it.

Still time to sort that out, though - it wasn't a final cut that they played. Fingers crossed!
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:05
Personally, I can't wait. This sounds grotesque, but I haven't seen a screenshot with blood in it yet - will it be included in the final game?
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:48
"High polygon count"
Did you not see the blood on the wall in the clip? On the stairs where he shoots the guy in the head, it leaves blood on the wall. There's also blood on the main character's suit in one or two scenes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.