GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft boob again"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/06/02 at 20:18
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1887

No smaller controller for Europe, because...

"Microsoft UK's Xbox PR manager, is Nick Grange, and according to him, UK gamers don’t want this slimmed down pad! He said that, 'Our research has found that people like the standard Xbox controller in Europe, so at this time we are not planning to offer an alternative'."

What research was that then? How many of you registered Xbox owners were consulted about this?

Thought not!

So where did this research take place?

Japan have it, the US has it... why not Europe? Are we seeing signs of MS not caring too much about the Euro market?
Wed 26/06/02 at 19:28
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> And through my own personal opinion, the standard Xbox controller does
> grow on you.

Jesus, it's already big enough as it is.
Wed 26/06/02 at 19:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
KIREBA wrote:
> If the smaller pad is not released over here then there is no way I will buy an X-box

Arn't you being a little picky there, Ok the controller is importaint but to miss out on XBox because of the availability of one controller is "extreme" in my view. You could always buy 3rd Party or import a US controller S.

And through my own personal opinion, the standard Xbox controller does grow on you.
Wed 26/06/02 at 19:01
Regular
If the smaller pad is not released over here then there is no way I will buy an X-box which is a pity because the console does have some great games. I have tried the original pad and found it uncomfortable after a little while.
Wed 26/06/02 at 14:47
Regular
Nintendo used to be the worst when it came to things like this, in the SNES era European gamers missed out on loads of great games because Nintendo decided not to release them here. Esspecially games like Mario RPG and Earthbound, because apprently European gamers hate RPGs! If they announced they weren't releasing the Wavebird over here I woul be pretty mad as well, it's bad enough that they didn't release the Pikmin soundtrack outside of Japan...
Wed 26/06/02 at 13:53
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
One thing I don't like about the PS2 pad is that I think the analogues are too close together. Can get pretty annoying when playing the likes of an FPS. I don't see the GC controller being too good for this genre either.

This is one area in my opinion that the X-Box controller does very well because the analogues are far enough apart to make things comfatable. I think each pad will have its strengths and weaknesses as you go through the genres. As I said, X-Box in my opinion is the best for the likes of FPS games, PS2 I would say is strongest for Beat em ups such as Tekken and the GC controller is probably best for the likes of Platformers.
Wed 26/06/02 at 11:58
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> Wookiee, I'm sure I recall you saying that the GC controller was too
> small and fiddly for your BIG hands...

No, go and read those posts again!

I said I like the Gamecube controller, but found the grips a little too thin, the D-pad a little too small, and that the single rumble motor didn't give the same level of feedback.

> Is it just the PS2 one that's "just right"?

Yes. The size of the D-pad is better, as are the more rounded grips, and the twin rumble motors give better feedback.

Over all, though, I said that there wasn't much to choose between the Gamecube controller and DualShock on PS2 - but that, for me, the PS2 controller just edged it, for the reasons mentioned.
Wed 26/06/02 at 11:34
Regular
Wookiee, I'm sure I recall you saying that the GC controller was too small and fiddly for your BIG hands...

Is it just the PS2 one that's "just right"?
Each to their own I suppose. ;-D
Tue 25/06/02 at 21:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well one bit of good news for me today was that my 2 games and controller finally arrived. Mind you I played the demo for NBA Inside Drive and thought it was utter cack, so I'll be trading that in. Hopefully at one title out of Gun Metal and Commando's 2 will come out this Friday, if so then I'll exchange the two games for one of those. Hopefully Circus Maximus will come out too as its down for my GAD. :-)

Its been getting some pretty crappy reviews but I'm keeping an open mind cause the mags don't always speak the same opinion as me on certain games and plus its free so its not as though I'm losing £40 on it. :-)
Tue 25/06/02 at 18:58
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Whether the reserch was done or not, UK gamers deserve to have the choice of the two controllers.

That's my view on this topic, and it seams the point that Wookie is trying to get across. Liking, or not liking the current controller isn't what this is about, its about MS not listening and not giving the smaller alternative to those that want it.
Tue 25/06/02 at 18:05
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> The controller is fine.
> Stop whining and wait until you get puberty, then you wont have to use
> little baby hands.

ROFL.

no probs with the controller for me either, i dont find any uncomfatability with it

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.