GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Might give up PC gaming for console gaming"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/06/02 at 18:46
Regular
Why?
Because my PC locks up on my favourite game TActical ops..... and other games for some reason it's messing my head up.... i can't be bothered to diagnose the problem at all...
Wed 26/06/02 at 22:44
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
What ever you do, don't abandon the PC games. There are only three real consoles out there, PS2, GameCube, and of course, the X-Box. GameCube doesn't really have the game's it needs at the moment. X-Box games are mostley PC conversions and way. So that is just the PS2 left. Do you really want to give your PC games up for Sony???
Wed 26/06/02 at 02:30
Regular
getting a Geforce 2 ultra or mx400 again....
Tue 25/06/02 at 18:39
Regular
Sniper you should just talk to Cyanide you chimp O_o He'll sort it out for you if you just tell him whats wrong... not sure about now though. Ask someone in 42 about it maybe :rolleyes:
Tue 25/06/02 at 11:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Also if you give up PC gaming, you can wave goodbye to the greatest online gaming community on any system. It's doubtful any console will reach the levels of the online gaming world that the PC has, not in the near future anyway.

Kiss all the cool mods, levels, skins ect. that add more longevity to your existing games goodbye, because again consoles will never get the amount of user created objects the PC does. This is one of the main reasons I’m sticking with PC gaming, because it undoubtedly king when it comes to online games.
Tue 25/06/02 at 10:20
"Darkness, always"
Heh, it must be said that if you want to keep your PC "up to date", it's always going to cost you a fortune. Two points here though:

1 - You don't need to keep your PC up to date at all. The PC technology from over a year ago is not only easilly sufficient for the requirements of anything available, but also far cheaper than the state of the art tech. I've yet to see a game with a MINIMUM SPEC requiring more than, say, a 450mhz processor, and you can pick up a PIII 1ghz for pocket change these days, and the equivalent celeron or athlon is cheaper still. If you're flush, then by all means have spanking PC, with all the latest, but otherwise, you can get everything you need, and PC performance worth writing home about for a significantly lesser sum if you shop around.

2 - If you're having problems with things hanging and crashing and generally not working properly, you probably have something wrong with the many many many bits and bobs of various software either on, or no longer on your hard drive(s). Not a reason to give up your PC at all, since this particular malady is something that the world of consoles is soon to experience itself. Only the GC is without a hard drive now, ad it's unfortunately only a matter of time. With a hard drive, you have extranneous software, with extranneous software you have the potential for software problems, bugs, viruses and all other manner of general problems.

I'm not one to talk though. I own a PC, SNES, GC and PSONE. Still use them all too. If you give up PC gaming for console gaming, you'll find that the consoles don't offer you everything your PC does, and vice versa.
Mon 24/06/02 at 23:49
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Maybe he's just showing off? :0)
Mon 24/06/02 at 19:58
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Snipe® wrote:
> i cannot be arsed to keep up to date with this so called up to date PC
> specs..... so i am giving up.
> Gonna get a GC to keep my mind off....

Ive been using the same PC that I bought back in 1999... and I can still run current (GTA3, Medeal of Honour, etc...) titles at 1024x1028 res with all options at maximum without any slowdown... (though somtimes I need to use 16 colour depth)... Thats the same system for 4 years without a need to upgrade...
Mon 24/06/02 at 15:56
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
If TAC Ops isn't running properly, try being a sniper in Unreal Tournament. HEAD SHOT!! Oh Yeah! :)
Sun 23/06/02 at 23:48
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I used to love playing games on my PC but you always need new updates, better graphic cards and just general specs and it's just not worth it.

Consoles are much better, you go Snipes!

Just maybe try to mix things, for instance I still play Rollercoaster Tycoon on my PC but I play my console too.

Fun, fun.
Sun 23/06/02 at 17:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
That's why I've chosen to upgrade in year or so, rather than spend over a grand on yet another fully updated computer, I'm going to upgrade my exsisting one. It may cost more than a console, and there is more faffing about to install the new hardware, but in the long run it will save me alot more money than buying a new PC or another console.

That said, the GC is a good choice if you want to enter the console world, and it's something I'm investing in myself very soon, being part console gamer aswell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.