GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"South Korea's success - Skill, Luck, Fix, or something else?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/06/02 at 12:00
Regular
A bit of all 4, really.

They have been called the success story of the World Cup, and have knocked out Italy, and now Spain. But what are these freak victories down to? Let's see...

Skill:

Both South Korea and Japan have famously put a lot of training into the tournament, with their foreign manager's organising many friendly matches since no qualification to the World Cup was required. There have definitely been matches where they deserved to win, and matches where they have certainly played well, proving the huge amount of training was worth it.

Luck:

There definitely were times when it wasn't them who got the goals scored, and that other teams just made mistakes. I can't think of much else to say on htis one...

Fix:

Call me paranoiac (sp), but in the Spain and Italy games there did as though something fishy was going on...

In both games, the losing teams had two goals each disallowed from "bad officiating", and they definitely should have been counted.

The referees acted hostile towards the opponents, and were cheerful to the Koreans.

The two refs were Egyptian, a nationality not strong in FIFA therefore easily bribed.

Totti's sending off was ridiculous.

Something else:

The evidence behind this: I don't know much about footie :-D
Sat 22/06/02 at 14:16
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> As for the penalties - I don't really understand the fuss. Okay, so
> the keeper isn't supposed to come off his line or even move before the
> ball is struck - fair enough. But, as has been discussed on here
> before, keepers do that 95% of the time and are very rarely penalised
> for it. To suddenly make a big deal out of it is silly, in my
> opinion.

I'm not making a big deal of it but people in Spain will be furious at it. The goalie coming forward at you has to put you off and it showed. I just think it was a blatantly bad mistake even with the linesman looking straight at the goalie.
Sat 22/06/02 at 14:02
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Yeah, it was a bit dodgey that Spain had those goals dissallowed. I wonder if it was a fix, or a dodgey ref that should not be in the World Cup.
Sat 22/06/02 at 14:00
"High polygon count"
I didn't see the game (had a lie in!) but I saw the highlights.

I think disallowing the first goal was the correct decision, although it was for the wrong reason. I believe it was given for a SPanish player pushing into a Korean player from the free kick. That didn't seem to be a foul. However, there were two Spanish players in offside positions, so the end result was the correct one.

For the second goal, though, it was simply a terrible decision. The ball wasn't even close to being out of play, and Spain should have won one-nil.

As for the penalties - I don't really understand the fuss. Okay, so the keeper isn't supposed to come off his line or even move before the ball is struck - fair enough. But, as has been discussed on here before, keepers do that 95% of the time and are very rarely penalised for it. To suddenly make a big deal out of it is silly, in my opinion.

Having said all that... as a neutral, I'm glad Korea are through. I think they deserve it for all their efforts, and I also think it will make for a far more interesting game than Germany vs. Spain would have!
Sat 22/06/02 at 13:47
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
It had to be a fix.

Two perfectly fine golden goals for Spain dissallowed and the penalty was saved as the goalkeeper had moved miles off his line even with the linesman and ref watching.
Sat 22/06/02 at 13:47
South Korea are used to their own climate (obviously) and it helps having the stadium almost filled with people cheering for you, so I think they could win the whole tournament.
Sat 22/06/02 at 13:36
Regular
"England skipper"
korea do have a lot of skill, im glad they won.
Sat 22/06/02 at 12:49
There Is another thing about the Koreans. They are like little terriers, they never stopped running and pressing whoever had the ball.

They don't like it up em'
Sat 22/06/02 at 12:34
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
South Korea are now an impressive side and it wasn't until their friendly with England that I noticed how really solid they are as a team.

I don't think it's much of a fix like the France '98 controvarsy, but more skill and moral support from fans. They have been lucky at times like that fluky header they scored against Italy at extra time, and seeing that Italy were such sore losers, you could say that Korea deserved to win.
Sat 22/06/02 at 12:20
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Only takes one dodgy deceison to change a result... some mentalists could say it's a fix... I wanted Spain to win but i like under-dog doing well.
Sat 22/06/02 at 12:19
Regular
The Fans!

Thier fans are great. Hopefully they will win it for thier great fans.

You need a bit of luck to win the world cup and it seems as though they have quite a bit of it! Hopefully it will carry on to take them all the way...

Although they have got through both their games via penalties and only beat Portugal becasue they had two players sent off...

Its understanable how a lot of conspiracy theories could come out of this...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.