GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't Blame Seaman"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/06/02 at 10:47
Regular
Yes it was a terrible goalkeeping error, and yes, Seaman was at fault for letting in a goal, bjt there is no way that he should be blamed for this defeat.

We had 40 minutes to get back into the game, 35 of those against 10 men, and we didn't once trouble their goalkeeper.

We wasted possession, and didn't shoot from decent postitions. I counted 2 ocassions in which Dyer got the ball at the edge of the area, and layed to ball of rather than taking a pop at goal. Just hitting the target would have fired us up, but in the end we just passed it about too much, let Brazil get organised, then just threw the ball in.

Still, if at the start of the tournament, we were told that we'd get to the quarter final, I doubt many people would have been disappointed with that. It's just a shame that we went out so tamely.
Fri 21/06/02 at 10:47
Regular
"not dead"
Yes it was a terrible goalkeeping error, and yes, Seaman was at fault for letting in a goal, bjt there is no way that he should be blamed for this defeat.

We had 40 minutes to get back into the game, 35 of those against 10 men, and we didn't once trouble their goalkeeper.

We wasted possession, and didn't shoot from decent postitions. I counted 2 ocassions in which Dyer got the ball at the edge of the area, and layed to ball of rather than taking a pop at goal. Just hitting the target would have fired us up, but in the end we just passed it about too much, let Brazil get organised, then just threw the ball in.

Still, if at the start of the tournament, we were told that we'd get to the quarter final, I doubt many people would have been disappointed with that. It's just a shame that we went out so tamely.
Fri 21/06/02 at 10:51
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I'm certainly not. It's a team game, and everyone has the same responsibilities as everyone else; this includes taking the celebrations and dissapointments in equal doses. Seaman has been a great goalie for England, still as good as ever in this World Cup, considering his age, and the amount of people who wrote him off.

I just hope he still has a bit of international goalkeeping left in him, as nobody can replace him, not even Martyn.

[David Seaman, we applaud you, and every other member of the England team who gave their all.]
Fri 21/06/02 at 10:56
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I felt sorry for Seaman. Poor sod.

But you know he's going to get so much stick around the country, when the season starts up again.

Sad but true.
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Long time no see!"
England played poorly as a team - especially in the second half!

I don't blame Seama for that goal, neither do I victimise one England player for the loss over the whole 90 minute period.
But if anyone deserves to have the finger pointed at them for that goal then it has to be Sol Campbell.

He played fine for the rest of the match though.
But as Ronaldinho got closer and closer to goal, Campbell allowed the man he was marking (Rivaldo) to run-off into a good goal-scoring position.
I don't see why he did this, and there was no-one else near enough to cover him! And it looked as though Rio was onto Ronaldinho anyway!

A bad bit of defending from an otherwise on-form player.
But it wasn't as bad as Mr.EyeBrow himself (Lucio), gifting Owen a pass that lead to our only goal!
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:07
"High polygon count"
All very true.

I wouldn't blame Seaman anyway, and it's got nothing to do with him playing for Arsenal. Here's why:

I believe every keeper would have made the same move expecting a cross.

We didn't create one chance in the whole game (the goal was a Brazilian mistake).

Every long ball forward went out of play.

We made no decent crosses.

We gave too many free kicks.

We played 35 minutes against 10 men and took no advantage whatsoever - in fact Brazil were always in control

So at the end of the day, we wouldn't have scored a winner anyway!

It was a very disappointing performance all round.

Though I'm sure it will be Seaman who will be made the scapegoat, we wouldn't even have been there had it not been for his outstanding performances.
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:14
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I blame Seaman. His disribution was a disgrace too. He has a stupid pony tail and a moustache. What more is there to add?
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:15
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Just like 4 years ago Beckham was made a Scape goat, unforturnatly so is Seaman but for different reasons, but like Beckham im sure he can prove his doubters wrong.

But like many, I believe he has been the best goalie in this Tournament and although I feel sorry for him he has nothing to be ashamed of but sadly this will be his last world cup and what a memory to have.
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:22
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The sad thing with Seaman really is the fact that the poor sod probably hasn't got much more international playing ahead of him now and this was really our best chance of picking up the World Cup.

I haven't got a bad thing to say about him - he's always done his best for us and these things happen. I really felt for the poor sod at the final whistle.
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:29
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I hardly think that Seaman will recieve the same treatment from Premiership fans as Beckham did after France '98!

And that was his last ever World Cup too, wasn't it.
Sad to see him go without helping us to win anything special - probably why he was so upset at the end there.
But at least he's got memories of some great saves and great team moments from over the years.

The qualification and this World Cup come to mind, aswell as Euro '96 and more.
Fri 21/06/02 at 12:09
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Did anyone just sit there thinking 'Nayim!' when that goal went in? Gah, I feel sick just thinking about it. But credit to Seaman - to be fair, he only made one error in the whole tournament.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.