GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't Blame Seaman"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/06/02 at 10:47
Regular
Yes it was a terrible goalkeeping error, and yes, Seaman was at fault for letting in a goal, bjt there is no way that he should be blamed for this defeat.

We had 40 minutes to get back into the game, 35 of those against 10 men, and we didn't once trouble their goalkeeper.

We wasted possession, and didn't shoot from decent postitions. I counted 2 ocassions in which Dyer got the ball at the edge of the area, and layed to ball of rather than taking a pop at goal. Just hitting the target would have fired us up, but in the end we just passed it about too much, let Brazil get organised, then just threw the ball in.

Still, if at the start of the tournament, we were told that we'd get to the quarter final, I doubt many people would have been disappointed with that. It's just a shame that we went out so tamely.
Thu 27/06/02 at 13:14
Regular
Personally I would say Kahn and Rustu have played better than Seaman.

Rustu made 20 saves in total over the two Brazil games...
Thu 27/06/02 at 12:28
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Oliver Kahn has played better in my opinion, but nonetheless I agree Seaman did well, he all that could have been asked of him. The team's quarter final exit was definitely more the fault of the rest of the team for not pressing Brasil's ten men (and for the dodgy marking in that equaliser).
Thu 27/06/02 at 12:18
"High polygon count"
I think most people would agree that Seaman was the best keeper in the tournament. The team is out not because of his mistake, but because the rest couldn't score goals.
Thu 27/06/02 at 12:13
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Making a mistake = letting in a goal that the majority of keepers wouldn't

Performing exceptionally = making good saves that most other keepers would not make.
Thu 27/06/02 at 12:10
"High polygon count"
VenomByte wrote:
> He did well, but not exceptionally. He just didn't make any mistakes.

?!?!?!?
Thu 27/06/02 at 12:10
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> That goal was not intended as a shot, even Ronaldinho will probably
> admit to that sooner or later. It was an overhit cross. Seaman was
> right to come off his line for it.
>
> If Ronaldinho hadn't screwed up his cross, Seaman wouldn't have let it
> in. If you want to blame anyone, blame Ronaldinho for not being able
> to place a cross properly.

I'm sure Ronaldhinho is really kicking himself for that one. :P
Thu 27/06/02 at 12:08
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The only decent dive Seaman made in this world cup was the one towards the bottom right corner against Sweden. That was a fairly good save, but not a great one. I tend not to rate a save as good depending on if it kept the ball out, but instead on whether you would be dissapointed with the keeper if it went in.

In that save against Sweden, you would have to say that you'd be disspointed with any keeper who let it in - it didn't require moving *that* far, and he had a fair bit of time to move. Therefore, I don't rate that as a great save. Ditto with the one-on-one that was hit straight at him. He came out, and the striker fumbled. He did well, but not exceptionally. He just didn't make any mistakes. Until the quarter final.

Having said that however, I also think he could have been able to stop Sweden's equaliser. Mills cleared badly, but the strike was still taken from a good twenty yards out, and not immediately either. If Seaman was blindsighted, it's his responsibility to move, if he wasn't, it would have been easy to save.
Wed 26/06/02 at 15:07
"Darkness, always"
That goal was not intended as a shot, even Ronaldinho will probably admit to that sooner or later. It was an overhit cross. Seaman was right to come off his line for it.

If Ronaldinho hadn't screwed up his cross, Seaman wouldn't have let it in. If you want to blame anyone, blame Ronaldinho for not being able to place a cross properly.
Wed 26/06/02 at 14:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
You still can't really blame him for letting in that goal, no keeper could've even got a touch of that - no matter how tall they are - all because of how unpredictable and surprising the free-kick occured to everyone!

And Seaman, along with Rio Ferdinand, has been one of the main reasons as to why and how we got as far as we did.

We could sufffer badly without his pressence in 2 and 4 years time...
Wed 26/06/02 at 12:36
"High polygon count"
Venom, that's tosh!

He made fantastic saves of all types, both during the World Cup and last season for Arsenal - reflex shot-stopping, dives, getting down to low shots - everything.

I believe that any keeper in the world would have taken the same position and been expecting a cross, and all would have been caught out.

Still, as Yakumo says - even if you do blame Seaman for the goal, he can't be held responsible for the defeat. Too many players underperformed in that game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.