GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question for you lot."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/06/02 at 11:39
Regular
When all post our favourite bands, a lot of people seem to only list bands/artists of one particular genre. Some of my mates are like this as well. They like certain genres, and certain bands, and don't give anything else a listen.

I'm not having a go or anything here, each to their own and all that. I'm really asking this out of my own curiosity:

Why do some of you only like one sort of music, or a very limited range? Don't you get bored of listening to the same stuff over and over?

I'm going to pick on RBS here (sorry mate! :-D), but in the "What music are listening to at this very moment thread", you seem to only ever list Counting Crows stuff. Don't you ever get fed up of listening to the same tracks over and over? Don't you ever want to listen to anything new? Or do you try new stuff, but you just don't like it?

I listen to different stuff depending on what mood I'm in, depending what time of day it is. Fox example, if I've just got back from the pub, I'll probably listen to something relaing, but if I'm getting ready to go out to a club, I'll put on something to get me in the mood for that.
Sat 15/06/02 at 19:31
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, it might get worrying if I was two or three big punks... that could get confusing...

*wanders off to have conversation with himself*
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:59
"Uzi Lover"
Sibs wrote:
The spectrum of music I listen to, although almost all is somehow
> related back to punk

He's just one big Punk :-)
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I listen to mostly punk and the sub genres and offshoots of it. But you say that you listen to different music to suit your mood, well it is the same with me. I don't have much in the way of relaxing music, but I do have some Fugazi (post hardcore genius'!) and a CD by Face To Face called 'Ignorance Is Bliss' (I think RBS has this also?) which is very nice experimental kind of chilled out but also very emotional and sung with a lot of conviction in places... anyway, most of their other albums are classic pop-punk, but that experimental one is by far my favourite. But if I want up beat I have Green Day and a host of pop punk and ska bands, I have angry hardcore, political punk rock, a bit of emo, and loads of other punk related stuff.

Basically, I listen to this because, while I may hear other genres and think "hmmm, not bad" it never seems to get me as excited as punk related stuff will... I never seem to get that rush that I get from the punk related stuff I love. And yeah, you can say that I may have listened to the wrong artists for any particular genre, but in the end, the further I dig into punk rock and all things related, the more great bands I discover who I want to hear more from. And I would rather spend my money on those. I may get sick of punk rock, but so many people do level this argument that it's all the same thing and that, but I think punk rock is by far one of the most diverse genres around. From something distantly related to punk that is Fugazi (post hardcore) and various emo stuff, to the other end with ska like Less Than Jake and [Spunge] to all new variations, such as Capdown mixing in ska with hardcore to incendiary effect. So I never get bored with it. The spectrum of music I listen to, although almost all is somehow related back to punk, is incredibly wide.
Sat 15/06/02 at 16:37
Regular
"That's right!"
I like rap, and then all the different kinds of rock (nu metal etc) except that Slipknot stuff. Urgh

Got 563 songs on my Winamp playlist, which is what I use to listen to all my music, and it's a big mix of genres
Sat 15/06/02 at 16:33
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Guitar Music - Doves, The Strokes, The Hives, Muse
Dance - Basement Jaxx, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Air
Hip Hop - Mark B & Blade, Handsome Boy Modelling School
Soul - Al Green, Marvin Gaye
Twee ladylike music - Belle & Sebastian

There's so much out there in different genres, ignoring it is criminal.
Sat 15/06/02 at 15:18
"Uzi Lover"
It's always nice getting into stuff you never knew of before, makes you wonder why you never found them in the first place and happy you did.

If you do stick yourself to one genre, which i have no problem with, then I can only highly reccomend that you try and listed to as many new stuff as possible in that catagory.

I mean, I use to like just the normal, popular rock when I was a little bit younger. Since then I've took the time to expand my tastes and gone deeper into that word 'rock'.

If you haven't done it yet, try it. All worth while in the end.

And listening to other genres is also a good idea. If you don't like it then fine, but you never know, you may love a diffrent style of music but never know it until you have listened. Even if it is a major change in styles.
Sat 15/06/02 at 13:38
Regular
Stryke wrote:
I can't stand trance because it's just beeps, not music.

That is just complete ignorance.
Sat 15/06/02 at 11:15
Regular
I'm always willing to listen to new stuff, but because of this, I've found I only like rock, and not all types of rock. Punk, light rock, emo e.t.c Not that keen on metal. I can't stand trance because it's just beeps, not music. I can stand pop, I just don't like it that much, thats all.
Fri 14/06/02 at 19:10
True, it's possible that I've listened to poor examples of trance, but I definately know that I hate pop!
Fri 14/06/02 at 18:49
Regular
"I listen to all forms of Rock and Metal - that's it. Why? Because I hate all the other cack out there. I don't say this out of ignorance, however, as I have listened to just about every type of music you can think of, and none of them can get me pumped up like Metal and Rock can."

You may have listened to every type of music, but as with rock and metal, there are hundereds of thousands of bands/artists in each genre. Perhpas you've just been unluckjy, and only listened to poor examples of each genre.

Not having a go at you here, but I just find it incredibly blinkered of people who only ever listen to 2 or 3 bands/artists, and never try anything new.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.