GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Loosing faith"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/06/02 at 12:24
Regular
In whom do you ask?

Nintendo!

How many times have we heard Nintendo complain that the games industry is DOOMED! That there’s no originality and that the games industry is just gonna crash and burn because of it. I’m getting quite sick of them going on about it. Just get on with releasing some games will ya!!! ORIGINAL ONES TO, as you keep yammering on about em!
So far we’ve had Wave Race. Though a fantastic game, well not everyone thought so. I’ve just got sommin’ about water, and so I LUV this game. But generally it was just an update to the N64 one, using mostly the same tracks, just with a few new bits. They could have done a lot more to it, and a lot of people complained that the background detail wasn’t as good as it could have been, and that’s true.
And there’s been Smash Brothers. Though another great game, it is yet again another N64 update. So where’s the original ones???
Well there’s Pikmin. Lemmings with plant creatures. It’s an alright game even thought it’s a bit short. I suppose it shows Nintendo’s willingness to try something new, and make it successful. Good going by them there!
We then have Mario Sunshine. Well to try and make this game original, Nintendo have detracted from the normal Mario type games, and created Mario goes Eco-worrier! From first impressions I thought this game looked a bit fishy, but it’s starting to look pretty good. Should be another GREAT Mario game, but I’d really have liked to play a Mario 64 2!!
Now for Zelda. Well Nintendo’s take to try and make the new Zelda original was to turn it cell-shaded. Personally I think it looks a good game and should have great playability. But it’s going to be a shorter Zelda experience this time!! Why??? There’s no reason it should take too long to create! Just look at Final Fantasy on the Playstation. Square managed to release 3 EPIC tales on the old Playstation! So why can’t Nintendo manage on the Gamecube?
Other than that, what do Nintendo have in the pipeline? There’s Wario Worlds, which looks like a good ol’ traditional Mario style platformer. FANTASTIC STUFF! Then there’s Mario Kart. Even thought virtually nothings been seen of this game, it has to be being made somewhere. But other than that what else is Nintendo developing??? And don’t quote me any Nintendo 2nd party games like Metroid. I want to know what NINTENDO are making! I know their always secretive so there might be a few hidden titles somewhere, but frankly what are they making? Have Nintendo just turned into the company that looks over everyone else’s work? I.e. Do they now just pass off all their games to other developers to make, and Nintendo just comment on them, and tell the developer if it’s pap or not. I mean Nintendo just keep giving away all their characters and stuff all the time to other developers to create games with, instead of actually making the games themselves.
StarFox => Rare, Starfox Adventures Dinosaur Plant
Also => Namco, another proper Starfox game

Mario => Camelot, Mario Tennis n Golf

F-Zero => Sega

Metroid => Retro Studios

I’m sure there’s probably some others but I can’t remember at the moment.

The thing that triggered me thinking this way was that I’ve just started trying to finish off Shenmue 2 on my Dreamcast. While playing the game I was just thinking how FANTASTIC, AMAZING, BRILLIANT the game is! The amount of detail! The amount of thought, depth put into the game is something that you just never find in other games. I then though about who made it. SEGA! Now Sega have created a vast amount of diverse games. Here are some of em :-
Virtua Fighter
Sonic
Shenmue
Super Monkey Ball
Chu Chu Rocket
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Rally
Phantasy Star Online

There’s to name just a few. I was just sat there while playing Shenmue thinking, Sega have created all these varied, different types of games, but really what has Nintendo done?
Yes they created the first true 3D platformer on the N64, and they created a fantastic action RPG, Zelda 64. Those two games are two of the most acclaimed games of all time. But really, what else have they done? So far on the Gamecube they haven’t really brought us anything significantly new or different! I’ve got great respect for Sega because they release a good selection of games across all genres, but Nintendo just don’t seem to bother doing this. Yes their characters appear in a multitude of different types of games, but Nintendo don’t personally seem to bother creating a varied selection of games. The games they do produce are always FANTASTIC, I won’t deny that fact, but it’s just starting to get on my nerves every time you read a quote from someone at Nintendo when they state that the games industry is gonna crash because people aren’t creating original games anymore etc.

Don’t get me wrong here, I still LUV Nintendo! They create the best hardware I feel, and their games are always amazing. I’d never give up a Nintendo controller for any other. But I just feel that instead of moaning all the time, Nintendo should just get off their backsides and create some games!

One final point I’d like to make though, is that I respect Nintendo’s recent announcement that they are not going to announce another console any time soon, but rather use the Gamecube till it really has become obsolete. Sony are going to announce a new console soon. Probably next year. But Nintendo don’t see the point because it just wouldn’t make that much of a different to the games. You could create a new console that could do a few more polygons, but the current consoles still have yet to be pushed to their full potential, so there’s no point in creating new hardware. Personally I think that this decision is probably due to the fact that Nintendo released the N64 well after the Playstation, and the Playstation went on to dominate the market. Now the Playstation 2 was released well over a year before the Gamecube, and has again dominated the market. Thus there’s no point in Nintendo trying to release another console to compete directly with the Playstation 3, and the X-Box 2. Rather Nintendo want to wait till there both released, and then find the time to release another console into the market which everyone will think is different from the PS3 and XB2, and so will buy it. Sounds like an intelligent plan to me, and makes me think Nintendo do have a head on their shoulders.

Just oooone more thing I almost forgot to mention. The GBA! I’ll be brief. Nintendo – “People should create original games; So we’ll go and release Mario 2, Super Mario World, and Yoshi’s Island instead of creating a totally new Mario adventure.” Fair enough, people who are too young to have played these games on their SNES all those years ago can now play them on their GBA’s. But ORIGINALITY!!! Also, what’s there for the people who have played those games and completed them already? I’ll be damned if I’m gonna fork out another 30 to play them again, when I could just whack the cart in my SNES and play them anyways. I want an ORIGINAL Mario game on the GBA!!!

What do other people think about Nintendo at the moment? Do you think their all talk no action, or do you think there doing a brilliant job at the moment?

:)
Tue 11/06/02 at 22:36
Regular
I know Smash brothers Melee isn't hugely different in terms of gameplay/structure, but its N64 predecessor was INCREDIBLY original, being the only game of its kind.

And seeing as that leaves only 2 games like this, I suppose that makes it much more different than another generic racing game or FPS or realistic fighter or RPG...

It's also a very significant improvement on the N64 original in every way.

Also, I know that Sega came up with some amazingly original things on the Dreamcast, but it did take them a whole year to get the likes of Jet Set Radio and Shenmue out.

I'm sure that by this time next year, Nintendo will have come up with plenty of great new ideas!
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:52
cookie monster wrote:
> LOL i was going to write a similar topic with exactly the same
> heading.

Laughs
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
LOL i was going to write a similar topic with exactly the same heading.
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:46
Cooky wrote:
> davyboy wrote:
> Get the ports out the way first cause thats what sells then the
> orginal games like pikmin will start to come out.
>
> The Cubes been out for at least or just over a year now in Japan. So
> where are they?
>
> :)

It takes them that long to think about it ;0)
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
davyboy wrote:
> Get the ports out the way first cause thats what sells then the
> orginal games like pikmin will start to come out.

The Cubes been out for at least or just over a year now in Japan. So where are they?

Tue 11/06/02 at 19:59
Get the ports out the way first cause thats what sells then the orginal games like pikmin will start to come out.
Tue 11/06/02 at 19:56
"Be patient, and everything will be clear."

Philosopher #2
Tue 11/06/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> Last post now, what else they have done:
>
> Invented platformers ==> Manic Miner
> Invented 3D worlds ==> Elite
> Ruled RPG gaming ==> Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, I have to disagree. Squaresoft do far more for the RPG section than Nintendo. Nintendo bring out a Zelda game once in a blue moon, and it's more of an action game than a traditional RPG. To name just a few of the great RPG's Square broght out on the Playstation are, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story. Nintendo brought out Ocarina Of Time, and Majoras Mask. Though great games, there not really too much to show for 5 years worth of a consoles life!
> Created the first fun racer ==> Mario Kart I take it. But this comment is all down to personal taste.

>
> Zelda - adventure ==> Yes a Nintendo game
> Starfox - space shooter ==> Now getting made by Rare and Namco
> Wave Race - Water Racer ==> N64 update
> 1080 - Snow Racer ==> Not directly made by Nintendo
> Mario - Platformer ==> Another actual Nintendo title. Well some of the sporty ones weren't
> Tetris - Puzzeler ==> hmmm.... when was the last time Nintendo actually made a tetris game??
> Pokemon - RPG ==> Don't someone like Camelot make these games?
> Metroid - First/third person shooter, platformer ==> Retro Studios
> Animal Crossing - errrr ==> When I saw ppl mention this game and Doshin the Giant I thought, "oh I missed some original games Nintendo made!" Well yes there original, but Animal Crossing, (formely Animal Forrest) came out on the N64. Doshin was surpose to come out on the 64DD, but I don't think it ever did. But there you have another example of yes, original games, but they were made yrs ago!
> F Zero - Futuristic Racer ==> Made by Sega now
> Mario Kart - Fun Racer ==> Another Nintendo games! WOW!
> Excitebike - Bike racer ==> Yer, I think this was made by Nintendo, but it's N64!!
> Mario Tennis - Tennis game ==> Camelot
> Mario Golf - Golf game ==> Camelot
> Luigi's Mansion - Hoover 'em up ==> ooo another Nintendo game
> Pikmin - Real Time Stratagy ==> Yes original and Nintendo. About the only one in the list
> Super Smash Brothers - Fun Beat 'em up ==> Another Nintendo, and another update
> etc...
>
> Those are a few titles Nintendo make. Those games are either a:
> Original ideas b: Best in the Genre.

Well not entirely original....

> Those are evidence of Nintendo saving the industry.

Where??

I'm not trying to have a go at Nintendo too much. Honest! I LUV em! They've created some of my all time favourite games. But being this big development company, who keep stressing the fact that their focosing on the games and not the hardware yadda yadda, they just don't seem to have much to show for themselves!

Tue 11/06/02 at 15:51
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Errr... do we need originality for the industry to survive? Super
> Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio, Rez, NiGHTS and many other original games
> have all got flat sales... fact is massmarket gamers don't care too
> much about it.
>
> They care more about the filmistic MGS2 or the realistic GT5 and Fifa
> 2002 5th edition.
>
> Of course, the intelligent hardcore gamer like ourselves asks for
> originality... but it's not a necissary part of the industry.

Exactly what Iwata is saying, eventually the public will get bored.
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:50
Regular
Last post now, what else they have done:

Invented platformers
Invented 3D worlds
Ruled RPG gaming
Created the first fun racer
Made the worlds best Tetris game
Pokemon
Link ups between handhelds and normal games machines
First Futuristic Racer

Zelda - adventure
Starfox - space shooter
Wave Race - Water Racer
1080 - Snow Racer
Mario - Platformer
Tetris - Puzzeler
Pokemon - RPG
Metroid - First/third person shooter, platformer
Animal Crossing - errrr
F Zero - Futuristic Racer
Mario Kart - Fun Racer
Excitebike - Bike racer
Mario Tennis - Tennis game
Mario Golf - Golf game
Luigi's Mansion - Hoover 'em up
Pikmin - Real Time Stratagy
Super Smash Brothers - Fun Beat 'em up
etc...

Those are a few titles Nintendo make. Those games are either a: Original ideas b: Best in the Genre.

Those are evidence of Nintendo saving the industry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.