GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Loosing faith"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/06/02 at 12:24
Regular
In whom do you ask?

Nintendo!

How many times have we heard Nintendo complain that the games industry is DOOMED! That there’s no originality and that the games industry is just gonna crash and burn because of it. I’m getting quite sick of them going on about it. Just get on with releasing some games will ya!!! ORIGINAL ONES TO, as you keep yammering on about em!
So far we’ve had Wave Race. Though a fantastic game, well not everyone thought so. I’ve just got sommin’ about water, and so I LUV this game. But generally it was just an update to the N64 one, using mostly the same tracks, just with a few new bits. They could have done a lot more to it, and a lot of people complained that the background detail wasn’t as good as it could have been, and that’s true.
And there’s been Smash Brothers. Though another great game, it is yet again another N64 update. So where’s the original ones???
Well there’s Pikmin. Lemmings with plant creatures. It’s an alright game even thought it’s a bit short. I suppose it shows Nintendo’s willingness to try something new, and make it successful. Good going by them there!
We then have Mario Sunshine. Well to try and make this game original, Nintendo have detracted from the normal Mario type games, and created Mario goes Eco-worrier! From first impressions I thought this game looked a bit fishy, but it’s starting to look pretty good. Should be another GREAT Mario game, but I’d really have liked to play a Mario 64 2!!
Now for Zelda. Well Nintendo’s take to try and make the new Zelda original was to turn it cell-shaded. Personally I think it looks a good game and should have great playability. But it’s going to be a shorter Zelda experience this time!! Why??? There’s no reason it should take too long to create! Just look at Final Fantasy on the Playstation. Square managed to release 3 EPIC tales on the old Playstation! So why can’t Nintendo manage on the Gamecube?
Other than that, what do Nintendo have in the pipeline? There’s Wario Worlds, which looks like a good ol’ traditional Mario style platformer. FANTASTIC STUFF! Then there’s Mario Kart. Even thought virtually nothings been seen of this game, it has to be being made somewhere. But other than that what else is Nintendo developing??? And don’t quote me any Nintendo 2nd party games like Metroid. I want to know what NINTENDO are making! I know their always secretive so there might be a few hidden titles somewhere, but frankly what are they making? Have Nintendo just turned into the company that looks over everyone else’s work? I.e. Do they now just pass off all their games to other developers to make, and Nintendo just comment on them, and tell the developer if it’s pap or not. I mean Nintendo just keep giving away all their characters and stuff all the time to other developers to create games with, instead of actually making the games themselves.
StarFox => Rare, Starfox Adventures Dinosaur Plant
Also => Namco, another proper Starfox game

Mario => Camelot, Mario Tennis n Golf

F-Zero => Sega

Metroid => Retro Studios

I’m sure there’s probably some others but I can’t remember at the moment.

The thing that triggered me thinking this way was that I’ve just started trying to finish off Shenmue 2 on my Dreamcast. While playing the game I was just thinking how FANTASTIC, AMAZING, BRILLIANT the game is! The amount of detail! The amount of thought, depth put into the game is something that you just never find in other games. I then though about who made it. SEGA! Now Sega have created a vast amount of diverse games. Here are some of em :-
Virtua Fighter
Sonic
Shenmue
Super Monkey Ball
Chu Chu Rocket
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Rally
Phantasy Star Online

There’s to name just a few. I was just sat there while playing Shenmue thinking, Sega have created all these varied, different types of games, but really what has Nintendo done?
Yes they created the first true 3D platformer on the N64, and they created a fantastic action RPG, Zelda 64. Those two games are two of the most acclaimed games of all time. But really, what else have they done? So far on the Gamecube they haven’t really brought us anything significantly new or different! I’ve got great respect for Sega because they release a good selection of games across all genres, but Nintendo just don’t seem to bother doing this. Yes their characters appear in a multitude of different types of games, but Nintendo don’t personally seem to bother creating a varied selection of games. The games they do produce are always FANTASTIC, I won’t deny that fact, but it’s just starting to get on my nerves every time you read a quote from someone at Nintendo when they state that the games industry is gonna crash because people aren’t creating original games anymore etc.

Don’t get me wrong here, I still LUV Nintendo! They create the best hardware I feel, and their games are always amazing. I’d never give up a Nintendo controller for any other. But I just feel that instead of moaning all the time, Nintendo should just get off their backsides and create some games!

One final point I’d like to make though, is that I respect Nintendo’s recent announcement that they are not going to announce another console any time soon, but rather use the Gamecube till it really has become obsolete. Sony are going to announce a new console soon. Probably next year. But Nintendo don’t see the point because it just wouldn’t make that much of a different to the games. You could create a new console that could do a few more polygons, but the current consoles still have yet to be pushed to their full potential, so there’s no point in creating new hardware. Personally I think that this decision is probably due to the fact that Nintendo released the N64 well after the Playstation, and the Playstation went on to dominate the market. Now the Playstation 2 was released well over a year before the Gamecube, and has again dominated the market. Thus there’s no point in Nintendo trying to release another console to compete directly with the Playstation 3, and the X-Box 2. Rather Nintendo want to wait till there both released, and then find the time to release another console into the market which everyone will think is different from the PS3 and XB2, and so will buy it. Sounds like an intelligent plan to me, and makes me think Nintendo do have a head on their shoulders.

Just oooone more thing I almost forgot to mention. The GBA! I’ll be brief. Nintendo – “People should create original games; So we’ll go and release Mario 2, Super Mario World, and Yoshi’s Island instead of creating a totally new Mario adventure.” Fair enough, people who are too young to have played these games on their SNES all those years ago can now play them on their GBA’s. But ORIGINALITY!!! Also, what’s there for the people who have played those games and completed them already? I’ll be damned if I’m gonna fork out another 30 to play them again, when I could just whack the cart in my SNES and play them anyways. I want an ORIGINAL Mario game on the GBA!!!

What do other people think about Nintendo at the moment? Do you think their all talk no action, or do you think there doing a brilliant job at the moment?

:)
Tue 11/06/02 at 12:24
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
In whom do you ask?

Nintendo!

How many times have we heard Nintendo complain that the games industry is DOOMED! That there’s no originality and that the games industry is just gonna crash and burn because of it. I’m getting quite sick of them going on about it. Just get on with releasing some games will ya!!! ORIGINAL ONES TO, as you keep yammering on about em!
So far we’ve had Wave Race. Though a fantastic game, well not everyone thought so. I’ve just got sommin’ about water, and so I LUV this game. But generally it was just an update to the N64 one, using mostly the same tracks, just with a few new bits. They could have done a lot more to it, and a lot of people complained that the background detail wasn’t as good as it could have been, and that’s true.
And there’s been Smash Brothers. Though another great game, it is yet again another N64 update. So where’s the original ones???
Well there’s Pikmin. Lemmings with plant creatures. It’s an alright game even thought it’s a bit short. I suppose it shows Nintendo’s willingness to try something new, and make it successful. Good going by them there!
We then have Mario Sunshine. Well to try and make this game original, Nintendo have detracted from the normal Mario type games, and created Mario goes Eco-worrier! From first impressions I thought this game looked a bit fishy, but it’s starting to look pretty good. Should be another GREAT Mario game, but I’d really have liked to play a Mario 64 2!!
Now for Zelda. Well Nintendo’s take to try and make the new Zelda original was to turn it cell-shaded. Personally I think it looks a good game and should have great playability. But it’s going to be a shorter Zelda experience this time!! Why??? There’s no reason it should take too long to create! Just look at Final Fantasy on the Playstation. Square managed to release 3 EPIC tales on the old Playstation! So why can’t Nintendo manage on the Gamecube?
Other than that, what do Nintendo have in the pipeline? There’s Wario Worlds, which looks like a good ol’ traditional Mario style platformer. FANTASTIC STUFF! Then there’s Mario Kart. Even thought virtually nothings been seen of this game, it has to be being made somewhere. But other than that what else is Nintendo developing??? And don’t quote me any Nintendo 2nd party games like Metroid. I want to know what NINTENDO are making! I know their always secretive so there might be a few hidden titles somewhere, but frankly what are they making? Have Nintendo just turned into the company that looks over everyone else’s work? I.e. Do they now just pass off all their games to other developers to make, and Nintendo just comment on them, and tell the developer if it’s pap or not. I mean Nintendo just keep giving away all their characters and stuff all the time to other developers to create games with, instead of actually making the games themselves.
StarFox => Rare, Starfox Adventures Dinosaur Plant
Also => Namco, another proper Starfox game

Mario => Camelot, Mario Tennis n Golf

F-Zero => Sega

Metroid => Retro Studios

I’m sure there’s probably some others but I can’t remember at the moment.

The thing that triggered me thinking this way was that I’ve just started trying to finish off Shenmue 2 on my Dreamcast. While playing the game I was just thinking how FANTASTIC, AMAZING, BRILLIANT the game is! The amount of detail! The amount of thought, depth put into the game is something that you just never find in other games. I then though about who made it. SEGA! Now Sega have created a vast amount of diverse games. Here are some of em :-
Virtua Fighter
Sonic
Shenmue
Super Monkey Ball
Chu Chu Rocket
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Rally
Phantasy Star Online

There’s to name just a few. I was just sat there while playing Shenmue thinking, Sega have created all these varied, different types of games, but really what has Nintendo done?
Yes they created the first true 3D platformer on the N64, and they created a fantastic action RPG, Zelda 64. Those two games are two of the most acclaimed games of all time. But really, what else have they done? So far on the Gamecube they haven’t really brought us anything significantly new or different! I’ve got great respect for Sega because they release a good selection of games across all genres, but Nintendo just don’t seem to bother doing this. Yes their characters appear in a multitude of different types of games, but Nintendo don’t personally seem to bother creating a varied selection of games. The games they do produce are always FANTASTIC, I won’t deny that fact, but it’s just starting to get on my nerves every time you read a quote from someone at Nintendo when they state that the games industry is gonna crash because people aren’t creating original games anymore etc.

Don’t get me wrong here, I still LUV Nintendo! They create the best hardware I feel, and their games are always amazing. I’d never give up a Nintendo controller for any other. But I just feel that instead of moaning all the time, Nintendo should just get off their backsides and create some games!

One final point I’d like to make though, is that I respect Nintendo’s recent announcement that they are not going to announce another console any time soon, but rather use the Gamecube till it really has become obsolete. Sony are going to announce a new console soon. Probably next year. But Nintendo don’t see the point because it just wouldn’t make that much of a different to the games. You could create a new console that could do a few more polygons, but the current consoles still have yet to be pushed to their full potential, so there’s no point in creating new hardware. Personally I think that this decision is probably due to the fact that Nintendo released the N64 well after the Playstation, and the Playstation went on to dominate the market. Now the Playstation 2 was released well over a year before the Gamecube, and has again dominated the market. Thus there’s no point in Nintendo trying to release another console to compete directly with the Playstation 3, and the X-Box 2. Rather Nintendo want to wait till there both released, and then find the time to release another console into the market which everyone will think is different from the PS3 and XB2, and so will buy it. Sounds like an intelligent plan to me, and makes me think Nintendo do have a head on their shoulders.

Just oooone more thing I almost forgot to mention. The GBA! I’ll be brief. Nintendo – “People should create original games; So we’ll go and release Mario 2, Super Mario World, and Yoshi’s Island instead of creating a totally new Mario adventure.” Fair enough, people who are too young to have played these games on their SNES all those years ago can now play them on their GBA’s. But ORIGINALITY!!! Also, what’s there for the people who have played those games and completed them already? I’ll be damned if I’m gonna fork out another 30 to play them again, when I could just whack the cart in my SNES and play them anyways. I want an ORIGINAL Mario game on the GBA!!!

What do other people think about Nintendo at the moment? Do you think their all talk no action, or do you think there doing a brilliant job at the moment?

:)
Tue 11/06/02 at 13:19
Regular
I see what your saying, after what they said recently there does seem to be something lacking in the new ideas department at Nintendo. Though we have got quite a few game to look forward to Donkey Kong +, Animal Crossing, Wario World, Rolla Rama, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Starfox Adventures, Zelda, 1080: Whitestorm, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Party 4.

Even though some of these are coming out of 2nd party developers that's still a hell of a lot of games to look forward to.
Tue 11/06/02 at 13:31
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I see what your saying, after what they said recently there does seem
> to be something lacking in the new ideas department at Nintendo.
> Though we have got quite a few game to look forward to Donkey Kong +,
> Animal Crossing, Wario World, Rolla Rama, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine,
> Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Starfox Adventures, Zelda, 1080:
> Whitestorm, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Party 4.
>
> Even though some of these are coming out of 2nd party developers
> that's still a hell of a lot of games to look forward to.

But look at that list you just gave. How many of those are truly original concepts? 4. Out of 16.

I'm still getting a Gamecube, but it seems Nintendo are panicking over originality. Fair enough, all those franchises are classics, but surely they can come up with some more ORIGINAL ideas and not rely entirely upon 128-bit versions of N64 games.
Tue 11/06/02 at 14:15
Regular
R2001UK wrote:
> But look at that list you just gave. How many of those are truly
> original concepts? 4. Out of 16.

As I'm sure you will find out, there's no point trying to criticise Nintendo to Tittawhirl, even though what you say is the truth. There are Nintendo fans, and there's Tittawhirl. :oP
Tue 11/06/02 at 14:16
Regular
Tiltawhirl even. Apologies.
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:16
"Mimmargh!"
Gar-J wrote:
> Tiltawhirl even. Apologies.

lol...
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:33
Regular
You are mistaken Cooky, games are being developed by others for one reason, Nintendo want to make new games not sequels.

Rerto Studio's is a Nintendo first party now so Metroid is a game Nintendo are making, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong +. Doshin the Giant, Roll a Rama, Animal Crossing and a load more... The fact is Iwata believes the gaming market is steered towards hardware and graphics, he is saying it will be done by nintendo for gameplay and games. It has always been that way he is just saying Nintendo are the future.

Which they are.
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:35
Regular
And Zelda is not a short game, it is made by a larger team and will spend 2 + years in development. Mario is the possible short one which he later said isnt short.
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:40
Regular
Might i point out the big mistake Cooky, an apparently resourced Nintendo fan has made...

Nintendo's selling points.

This year it is the biggest software line up ever. They said that with loads of classics. Next year as said in an interview it will be about original new titles. That's right your criticising Nintendo now when they haven't eventold you their original titles, there was 3 names mentioned that no one knows about apart from roll a rama. After the Zeldas, Metroids and Mario's of this year we'll move on to original stuff later.

Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Doshin, Metroid... new original ideas that are gainst the norm.
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Errr... do we need originality for the industry to survive? Super Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio, Rez, NiGHTS and many other original games have all got flat sales... fact is massmarket gamers don't care too much about it.

They care more about the filmistic MGS2 or the realistic GT5 and Fifa 2002 5th edition.

Of course, the intelligent hardcore gamer like ourselves asks for originality... but it's not a necissary part of the industry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.