GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I played Online Halo last night!"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/06/02 at 09:44
Regular
Using Ntl broadband internet, I played multiplayer Halo online last night! First of all, it IS as good as i expected. Its so much better to play opponents who can't see your screen. Sneaking up behind your enemies from a quick melee attack to the head is pure brilliance!

Me and my mate had quite a few games of Slayer. The only downside was when you played against someone who's connection was bad and it became a little jerky. (making accurate use of the sniper rifle impossible!)

Also, I couldn't help but notice that all the players online were either very good or exceptionally bad. One player seemed to kill me constantly whilst i was running with single sniper-shots to the head across the distance of the entire level! Other players walked round aimlessly and were nothing but cannon fodder!

Online gaming IS the future!
Wed 12/06/02 at 14:27
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah I've been thinking of a Halo clan for the people on this forum for awhile. ;-) Once a good number of us are using X-Box Live, we'll have to look into it and see whose interested. Could be a lot of fun. :-)
Wed 12/06/02 at 11:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Order ADSL on Friday, and am in the process of getting it. Should have it by the end of the month. Iam getting a NIC and some cable to link the Xbox to the PC. So I was wondering who out there has a ADSL/Cable connetion and links up their Xbox to the net? Maybe if there is a few of us we could have a few matches or organise a SR Halo Clan.
Sat 08/06/02 at 21:45
I know you can have it but our telephone exchange aint been upgraded and cable is ment to be faster and less lag spikes than ADSL for gaming but only slightly better
Sat 08/06/02 at 21:07
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Apparently X-Box Live should be up and running by Christmas. Some say that its likely to be around September/October time. :-)

And for anyone interested, that Steel Battallion game should be coming out packaged with the controller for around £99.99 (so basically £100).

Sounds steep but when you consider the size of the controller, that price is probably about right. I'll be getting it cause I love mech games, I'll be getting Mech Assault too. ;-)
Sat 08/06/02 at 19:50
Regular
Silent85 wrote:
> although you cant have broadband through original phonelines

Yes you can.

I have it with Freeserve and in my area, the speed is on par with cable (I know cos my mate has cable).

Does anyone know when Xbox Live is planned for release?
Can't wait.
Sat 08/06/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Silent85 wrote:
> Adrian you talk sense

Of course I do :).

I cant wait to get broadband as that will make the downloads so much faster :).

I still think that online gaming will only be a small part of the Xbox world. 1 player games and split screen games will still be very popular as you have a big story to them. For example Halo is an excellent game for 1 player. But play the single player game with tons of online people may spoil the experience. I would be nice to have a group of say 16 people play co-op through the levels, but alot would still play on their own.

Games like Unreal Championship are perfect for online games. I hope they have some really good RPG games for the Xbox to play online, plus loads of online features for sport and racing games. I think alot of games coming out after Xbox live is released will contain some type of online mode, but it may not be the centre of the game. Metal Gear Solid 2 would be a terriable online game. While GTA3 would be amazing for both online and sinlge player fun.

I can see that once the Xbox is online and people start to see whats possible, alot more people will consider an Xbox over the other 2 consoles.
Sat 08/06/02 at 13:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'll definatly be looking into online gaming. :-) I love playing games online and the titles that are on the way using X-Box Live sounds excellent. :-)
Sat 08/06/02 at 00:43
Adrian you talk sense and yea bband is becoming very regular now as I live in a small village and although you cant have broadband through original phonelines you can have cable which I have bband from and Cable broadband is ment to be faster for gaming and I can testify its very fast

I will pay £50 for a years subscription especially if the headset comes with it :)
Fri 07/06/02 at 23:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> I read that in america its the voice communicator and a years
> subscription to Xbox live for $50. That seams very reasonable.

That seems a great price. Probably be £50 here though, but I was thinking that £10 a month would be ok. I think that MS need to be careful with the pricing, too expensive and nobody will use it. But just enough so that they can make money for the developers who make the online games and for MS to keep the service running.
Fri 07/06/02 at 23:01
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I think the only console that will be a success online will be the Xbox. The PS2 and GC offer add on modems but people may not want to buy them, and what i've seen and heard about the online abilities for PS2 and GC is next to nothing in the UK, there only interested in Japan.

Xbox has had constant online features mentioned as well as having a broadband modem built in. I know that alot of people will be annoyed that they cant use their 56k modem, but broadband is becoming available nearly every where(even the small town I live in has it), and its pretty cheap. 56k modems arent a possiability for the amount of data needed to allow MS to make their online possiabilities a reality. The voice commander will be brilliant to use with it changing your voice to suit the game.

Already the Xbox will have a very strong 1st person online line up, with Quake 4 and Unreal Championship, as well as the announced Halo Online. I think that the launch of Xbox live in the US will see about 10+ games supporting online features.

MS really need to think of how they will provide a good service to every one. I've heard that they will be giving each online subscriber a FREE voice commander head unit. This is obviously a great thing to do, as it means every one who plays Xbox online can talk to each other. Another thing that needs to be sorted is the pricing issues. With the PC online gaming is nearly always free, apart from some online RPG's which have there own subscription.

I think that MS need to have only one subscription fee which will allow any Xbox game to be played online. As if each game comes out each charging you with a different subscription, people wont bother with the online games. Hopefully MS will see sense and have a reasonably priced service that allows any game to be played.

I think that MS will succeed in the online capabilities of the Xbox, as its been a major focus for them throughout the development of the Xbox. Hopefully MS will bring the online features to the UK as soon as they can, maybe by the end of this year or early next year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.