GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My F1 insight"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 14:53
Regular
For the past two or three years Formula one has captured my heart,
I’m sure it’s captured a lot of other hearts as well.
But during the last season I think that F1 has become an unfair sport for the drivers.
Why?

Because drivers like Michael Schumacher always from the first or second row of the grid and then he ends up getting into the lead and romping of into the distance.
Which is all very well for Michael but it’s not very fair on the other drivers.
So what could we do to make it fairer?

Well we could categorise the cars like they do in the touring cars.
Maybe they could categorise them corresponding to their engine horsepower.
But then that would effectively be making F1 into a lower form of motor sport!

So the next thing that could be done to make the competition fairer is to make a rule that all the drivers must have the same amount of horsepower in their engines.
That way the drivers would have a better chance of keeping up with the other drivers.
They could choose any make of engine but they must all have the same amount of horsepower.

This would certainly make things fairer and there would be a lot more competition.
But it just wouldn’t be the same.
So maybe they could restrict the drivers maximum lead to maybe 17 seconds or something.
But I can’t really see any of those things happening!

So maybe the FIA people are doing the right thing by helping out the smaller teams by bringing in the new one engine rule!
‘cos lets face it without the new rule the smaller teams may never get the chance to catch up with the big boys of F1.
So there lays a small glimmer of hope for the smaller teams.
Infact it may even help some of the bigger teams like Mclaren or Jaguar.
But I can’t help thinking that some of these past few races have been rigged.

There was a lot of controversy over the last race. Barrichello had won that race fair and square.
But the Ferrari Boss only went and pulled team orders just at the last corner.
Therefor letting Schumi win.
Was it just to break his Jinx? at Spain or was it for other reasons.
If it was for other reasons then I can’t think what reasons those reasons could be..
Schumi surely didn’t need the points.
It would have been real nice if the Ferrari Boys let Barrichello have some glory for a change other than letting Michael have it all.

Also I reckon half the races Michael has won.
Why?
Because it’s all very well winning four or five races but winning 8+ races seems a little bit farfetched.
Michael may be the greatest driver of all time but I think he’s starting to turn into a bit of a glory hog.
Of only Mika Hakkenin were here he’d soon show Michael who’s boss.
What Formula one needs is a complete refurbishment of the top drivers.
Maybe the younger generation could be given a chance to show there worthiness.
I very much doubt though if any of this will ever happen.
Especially as Michael Schumacher is trailing yet another championship win.

Something that could be done that would make things fairer without affecting the race itself would be to limit the amount off championships a driver can win in a row.
Maybe they could limit it to two championship wins, that way drivers like Michael would have to back down and let somebody else win the championship for a change.

I think most of the smaller teams would appreciate the chance at the championship.
But yet again I wouldn’t expect to see this happen.
So I guess the one engine rule will have to do for now.

So With the recent palaver at Spain I reckon Formula1 has entered it’s dark ages.
But there is no question about it Formula1 is one of the most popular motor sports in the world, in fact personally I’d say that F1 is the most popular sport in the world next to football.

So I raise a glass to the drivers and teams that make up my favourite sport F1.
*Raises Glass*
Here’s to Formula One!
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:50
Regular
"cant think of one.."
It may be bad news for us Tv viewers, but it would be totally unfair to punish Schumacher for being the best driver. At the end of the day, he is the best driver in the field and can win races. (even when the ferrari was substantially inferior compared to the Williams and McLarens in past seasons) He is simply dominating the sport.

The only halt to this dominance i can foresee is if Ferrari next year invest in a brilliant second driver. Rubens Barrichello is a good driver, but i'd love to see Coulthard, Button or Raikkonen get into a ferrari and give Schumacher a run for his money.
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:45
"I hate that!!!"
But barrichello should've had those precious points. NOT schui
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:31
Regular
It was at Imola that Schumi took Barrichello's chassis, and yes it is a team sport. And Ferrari are built around Schumi, so the team has to make sure he gets the result.

Barrichello knew this when he signed the contract.

At Austria, yes, Barrichello was the better driver, no doubt about it. But Ferrari is built around Schumi, so he gets the points. I don't think it's right, not at this stage of the season, but that's the way it works are Ferrari. They ALWAYS have a clear distinction between Number 1 driver and the number 2.

Barrichello knew this.
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:19
"I hate that!!!"
Your Honour wrote:
> "Limit the number of Championships someone can win"?! Are
> you having a laugh?!
>
> The whole point is that the best driver/car combination wins. At the
> moment that is Ferrari/Schumacher. A few years ago it was
> McLaren/Hakkinen, a few before that it was Williams, then Benetton,
> then Williams, the McLaren. Before that Tyrell were good as well.
>
> It's the way the sport works, in a couple of seasons Schumi will
> retire, Ferrari will some of their edge and a new team will dominate.
> It looks like it'll be Williams (again) but we'll have to see.
>
> I agree that the stunt Ferrari pulled in Austria (NOT Spain) annoyed
> me, but Team Orders are all part of the game. Just because most teams
> wouldn't have done what Ferrari did doesn't make it wrong. The fact is
> it's within the rules.
>
> And you can't change the rules. It's a TEAM sport, therefore the
> results must be for the benefit of the TEAM.
>
> Simple as that.
>

But surely if it F1 was a TEAM sport then surely a team like ferrari would apprieciate Barrichellos efforts in Austria and let him have the points.

The team orders should never have been pulled.
It was uncalled for and completrely unfair.
Rubens deserved the win.

Also there were a few incedents in Qualifiying where Barrichello had a better set up than Michael.
And Michael went and copied Barrichello's setup and took pole in the last few seconds of Qualifying.

There was also something that happened at somestage during last season when Schumacher Stole Barrichello's Chassy,

And you call this a TEAM sport?
Fri 24/05/02 at 09:58
"...Unicef pennies.."
Doughnut Monster wrote:
> Allthough I will always be a fan of F1 but because of the recent
> palaver I think the F1 sport will loose a lot of support!
>
> And who do we thank for thise?
>
> Scui and the boss man at Ferrari

I think that Bernie ecclestone will be laughing into his champagne right now. IMO thae Austrian palava will probably improve audiences, due to the press coverage that the events received. But the true fans, those who come back season after season, will be deeply disheartened in the sport.

I'd jump ship in favour of british touring car racing, except...

...Oh No! thats not half as exciting as it was 5 years ago either!
Fri 24/05/02 at 09:52
Regular
"Limit the number of Championships someone can win"?! Are you having a laugh?!

The whole point is that the best driver/car combination wins. At the moment that is Ferrari/Schumacher. A few years ago it was McLaren/Hakkinen, a few before that it was Williams, then Benetton, then Williams, the McLaren. Before that Tyrell were good as well.

It's the way the sport works, in a couple of seasons Schumi will retire, Ferrari will some of their edge and a new team will dominate. It looks like it'll be Williams (again) but we'll have to see.

I agree that the stunt Ferrari pulled in Austria (NOT Spain) annoyed me, but Team Orders are all part of the game. Just because most teams wouldn't have done what Ferrari did doesn't make it wrong. The fact is it's within the rules.

And you can't change the rules. It's a TEAM sport, therefore the results must be for the benefit of the TEAM.

Simple as that.

As for limitng horsepower and stuff, that's a bit pointless as well. The whole point of F1 is that it's the pinnacle of motorsport, you have to keep pushing boundaries. More horsepower, higher speeds, quicker cars, it's all part of it.
Fri 24/05/02 at 09:06
"I hate that!!!"
Digby wrote:
> There is no doubt that Michael Schumacher is a brilliant driver, but
> questions do have to be asked when one of his own fraternity refuses
> to go to Monte Carlo and even watch because of the cheating and
> rigging of races - (I can't remember his name, but it was in the paper
> the in thw last few days -I don't follow F1 as I think it's got too
> boring and no-one reinforces the rules) In HIS opinion Schui only won
> one championship fair and square. Anyone watching the re-runs of
> Clarkson will have seen one of Schui's famous barging off the track
> incidents of an opponent who could have beaten him (I seem to remember
> it happened to Damon Hill as well) and Schui thought it was an OK
> thing to do! Yeah, he's good, very good - but also a cheat, making
> people like me switch off in their thousands. I also feel sorry for
> anyone who placed a bet on Barrichello to win, cos they have been
> cheated too.
>
> Until the governing bodies disqualify drivers/teams who blatently
> flout the rules, I won't be switching on again.

I must say I agree completely!

Allthough I will always be a fan of F1 but because of the recent palaver I think the F1 sport will loose a lot of support!

And who do we thank for thise?

Scui and the boss man at Ferrari
Thu 23/05/02 at 15:41
There is no doubt that Michael Schumacher is a brilliant driver, but questions do have to be asked when one of his own fraternity refuses to go to Monte Carlo and even watch because of the cheating and rigging of races - (I can't remember his name, but it was in the paper the in thw last few days -I don't follow F1 as I think it's got too boring and no-one reinforces the rules) In HIS opinion Schui only won one championship fair and square. Anyone watching the re-runs of Clarkson will have seen one of Schui's famous barging off the track incidents of an opponent who could have beaten him (I seem to remember it happened to Damon Hill as well) and Schui thought it was an OK thing to do! Yeah, he's good, very good - but also a cheat, making people like me switch off in their thousands. I also feel sorry for anyone who placed a bet on Barrichello to win, cos they have been cheated too.

Until the governing bodies disqualify drivers/teams who blatently flout the rules, I won't be switching on again.
Thu 23/05/02 at 14:10
"I hate that!!!"
®eynolds wrote:
> it isnt about it being fair it is about winning so what if he comes
> first that means he is the better driver

Yes but not if you win like michael schumacher did 2weeks ago
Thu 23/05/02 at 11:46
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Unfortunately, team orders are a feature of F1. I remember the team orders Jordan gave to Ralf Schumacher in Belguim 98. Hill was leading, Ralf was second, Jordan on for their first win in a rain soaked Belguim. Ralf was going faster than Hill but Eddie Jordan didn't want to take any risks and gave orders to Ralf to stay in 2nd.

It's not quite the same thing but giving those orders ended that race as a competition.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.