GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where did british war games go to?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 13:16
Regular
Is it me or do nearly all war games have Americans characters? The only one I can think of with British soldires is Hidden and Dangerous - why are the yanks always taking the glory? My Grandad is always telling me that the Yanks think they won the war and when he sees me playing Medal of Honour he thinks it looks good - until they start talking. And I'm starting to think the same. Whatever happened to English Tommies? Have they been written out of history? Is it offensive to use proper English in a game? No, it's not, and I want to see more games with English cockney, not American. And so does Grandpa.
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:16
Regular
Is it me or do nearly all war games have Americans characters? The only one I can think of with British soldires is Hidden and Dangerous - why are the yanks always taking the glory? My Grandad is always telling me that the Yanks think they won the war and when he sees me playing Medal of Honour he thinks it looks good - until they start talking. And I'm starting to think the same. Whatever happened to English Tommies? Have they been written out of history? Is it offensive to use proper English in a game? No, it's not, and I want to see more games with English cockney, not American. And so does Grandpa.
Tue 21/05/02 at 10:52
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Commandos 2 has british commandos in, but I can see what you mean. There is too many war sims on the market now which have you control the navy seals or delta force, but it was only a few weeks ago that the real british SAS had to rescue american soldiers in afganistan(sp?) because the USA's spec ops didn't have the experience.

Its about time we see a british made soldier game I think, it would make a nice change, plus there is a long a colourful history of the british army to work from and do justice to our armed forces for once.
Thu 23/05/02 at 16:45
"Darkness, always"
The Americans have a very distorted sense of reality.

If you asked them, they would probably say they won the Battle of Waterloo.
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I remember on the news a few months back that a survey was done about WW2 amoung american high school kids. Most of the kids asked belived Stalin was the man who started the second world war. I wouldn't be surprised if most americans belived they won every major campaign of the second world war, and I think its terrible that a country has almost forgotten a very important part in the worlds history.
Tue 04/06/02 at 18:40
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The thing that really annoyed me was DoD. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a very enjoyable game, but it annoyed me. I mean, the american flag symbolises the 'allies' as they have the cheek to call them. If these are the 'Allies' where are the british? All the weapons were american (Thompson for one)The player models all wore those daft looking american uniforms, and the voices all said things in american accents'. I really can't stand the way they came in half way through the war (and well after the turning point), help us defeat the Germans, and regain most of europe, then take all the glory for themselves.
Let's face it; could the Americans have won the war on their own? I doubt it.
Tue 04/06/02 at 20:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hey Bob, DOD is one of my favourite games, and I can sympathise with what your saying. I however, downloaded a great, very detailed British skin pack for the allies which replaces just about everything on the allies.

All the uniforms are true to the real British counterparts, all weapons except the MG and M1 Carbine have been replaced, the best of course being the cool sten and Bren guns. The US flag have been replaced with our good old British flags, it a perfect replacement. It doesn't however replace the voices, so all the allied soldiers still speak in their American accent. A small problem as the rest of the add-on really does make up for it.

You can download it from this link (remove the space) its called British Pack 2.0, and it works with 2.1. Well worth the download.

http://www.dodmaps.com/download/index.php? showcat=3&LSID=93c6b764aca8c1e6714597df95a5c8c1
Wed 12/06/02 at 00:19
Regular
"Elvasto the Vast"
If I'm not to late to add my 'ten penneth' (old phrase meaning I'd like to say something!) Try Desert Rats (value Soft) I've only just got it 2nd hand but seems to be vvv british, stiff upper lip 'n' all that! Mind you don't take this as a vote for the game I'm only on the 1st Campaign 2nd scenario - so whaat do I know?
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Just want to say why it is. Most US game's that have Brits in are well spoked toffies. MOHAA has one. If you like common "Tommies" in games, stick to European makers. Games like Commandos, and Hidden and Dangerous come from European makers, so, there you go.
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:22
Regular
"That's right!"
As much as I hate to admit it, America DID win the war for us. They were supplying us with weapons/tanks etc long before they joined. Then, when their millions of troops came flooding across, the deal was done. There was no way Britain alone could've taken Normandy, not a chance in heck. We would have had to wait for the Russians to come across, and the world could be a very different place right now if America hadn't done their part

There, I said it... I feel dirty now!

Anyway, as for the main point of the post, yes, Americans are in games too much. I heard the add-on for Wolfenstein was all British (characters, weapons etc)

And, yes, Hidden & Dangerous was great, I don't think there was an American in sight (well, maybe one or two)
Tue 25/06/02 at 11:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> As much as I hate to admit it, America DID win the war for us. They
> were supplying us with weapons/tanks etc long before they joined.
> Then, when their millions of troops came flooding across, the deal was
> done. There was no way Britain alone could've taken Normandy, not a
> chance in heck. We would have had to wait for the Russians to come
> across, and the world could be a very different place right now if
> America hadn't done their part

So because the yanks supplied a few tanks, they won the war? Bollards. Sure there might not have been a chance in heck of our country to take back Europe, but the again I can't see how America could single handily defeat Germany. Most of the major battles in WW2 where combined efforts from all allied sides, just because the yanks had more weaponry and man power doesn't mean they would have crushed the nazi reign.

If England had fallen, America would be stuffed. There would be no chance of them invading Europe to take it back, and the Russians where in no state to start a full scale attack. America would go back to closing it's eyes and wait for the first flying bombs and attack ships to land on their shores. So in actual fact, the Americans needed us just as much as we needed them. And it was the allies who won the war, sinse they all contributed something to help end it.

That’s my little rant over anyway. I tend to get a little up tight when people claim one country won the second world war single handily, and a country which got it’s ar$e kicked when it found itself alone in another war. Vietnam for example.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.