GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where did british war games go to?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 13:16
Regular
Is it me or do nearly all war games have Americans characters? The only one I can think of with British soldires is Hidden and Dangerous - why are the yanks always taking the glory? My Grandad is always telling me that the Yanks think they won the war and when he sees me playing Medal of Honour he thinks it looks good - until they start talking. And I'm starting to think the same. Whatever happened to English Tommies? Have they been written out of history? Is it offensive to use proper English in a game? No, it's not, and I want to see more games with English cockney, not American. And so does Grandpa.
Mon 01/07/02 at 18:05
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Couldn't agree more. They 'claim' to stand for liberty, freedom, and democracy, yet just this morning George W, said he'd pull us Peacekeepers out of countries that need them, just because they won't get away with any crimes they commit.

Also, they were years late for both wars. It seems they will only help the needy if nations like us are behind them.

Plus, after what W said this morning, does this meen that if a US service man rapes a 17 year old in North England, France Italy or where ever, they won't have to face criminal charges? If it were an Italian troop, W would demand justice.

Their a load of hypocriteic, narrow minded cry babies.
Mon 01/07/02 at 18:05
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Couldn't agree more. They 'claim' to stand for liberty, freedom, and democracy, yet just this morning George W, said he'd pull us Peacekeepers out of countries that need them, just because they won't get away with any crimes they commit.

Also, they were years late for both wars. It seems they will only help the needy if nations like us are behind them.

Plus, after what W said this morning, does this meen that if a US service man rapes a 17 year old in North England, France Italy or where ever, they won't have to face criminal charges? If it were an Italian troop, W would demand justice.

Their a load of hypocriteic, narrow minder cry babies.
Sun 30/06/02 at 19:55
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I admit we needed the help off the yanks to pull through the war, but I disagree totally with their attitude towards the result of the war after it had ended. They seem to think that if it wasn't for them, Germany would have won the war and everyone now in Europe would be speaking German.

They prance about like they are the world’s saviours and forget about every other countries contribution to ending the bitter conflict. The truth is, America wouldn't have stood a chance had all the countries in Europe fallen.

And American's wonder why people from Europe, especially England don't like them much. Like you said, many today will get the impression from some modern war films that England and all the other countries who took part in the war didn't lift a finger to help, while America charged in and saved the world single-handedly.

That's one of the reasons I don't like American’s anyway, and it pees me off every time I see or hear an American say they 'Saved our ar$e in WW2'. It's partly true, but we also saved their butt as well. The war was won by many nations who pulled together, not one, single country.

I doubt very much that the US would have won the war by itself if it hadn't of been for every other country in the allied force chipping in and contributing to the over all effort to stop Hitler.
Sun 30/06/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Your right, today's war films are great at entertaining, but so so inaccurate. In Saving Private Ryan, U.S. troops rip into 'Monty'. He planned the entire invasion. Is was a success for the most part. But the hundred's of thousands of people who saw the film, it gives the impression that British troops, and 'Monty', didn't pull their weight. Ok, we landed easier than U.S. forces, but we were fighting for two years extra over the U.S. Plus we went through a blitz, the U.S. only had a few hits from ballon droped ballons. It seems the US have totally forgot the contribution made by all other countries. If anything, they think they saved us. It just isn't right if you ask me.
Sun 30/06/02 at 14:10
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Skarra wrote:
> Couldn't agree more. It's a shame Hollywood is in the US. If it were
> in the UK, it probably would be a lot more neutral, or at least tell
> the story of the UK's role more than the US films do at the moment.

The old war films are much better for telling how the Second World War was fought, movies like 'The Longest Day' about the D-Day landings. One of the best war films of all time in my opinion, and rather than sticking to one side in the battle, it told the story of all countries who took part. The American's, the English, the franc and even the Germans.

I admit recent films like Saving Private Ryan and U-571 are great and entertaining, they all seem to sacrifice the other countries involved in the war to show the American difficulties in the conflict. Hollywood always uses the excuse 'It's only a movie' but to some people it isn't. There are more people now who chose to watch films of past events rather than reading about them, and it doesn't help that most of these films are terribly inaccurate.

That's Hollywood though, more concerned about audiences in their own country to give a damn about the history of others.
Sat 29/06/02 at 21:20
i think that the us can't make anything like the first object to go over the speed of sound was UKS IDEA THATS OURS AND THEY STOLE IT DOWN WITH US OF COPYING A.American football JUST A LOAD OF MEN PLAYING FOOT BALL WITH WORSE PADS BASEBALL ROUNDERS WITH CRICKET! THERE ARE MANY UK INVENTED FOOTY BUT WE'RE CRAP AT IT US STEAL EVEY DAMN THING THEY THINK OF.DOWN WITH US OF COPY LAND A.i thank you for reading this message!
Sat 29/06/02 at 18:47
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Couldn't agree more. It's a shame Hollywood is in the US. If it were in the UK, it probably would be a lot more neutral, or at least tell the story of the UK's role more than the US films do at the moment.
Sat 29/06/02 at 17:36
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I never took history at school, but I still like to find out what happened back in world war 2, after all it was perhaps one of the single most important events of the last hundred years.

It's just a shame so many people these days seem to forget quiet easily what the war was fought for, and get their infomation about the conflict from movies which always tend to be about the american struggle, leaving out the other countries who also fought in the war.
Sat 29/06/02 at 14:17
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Well thank's. I am only 15, so there are bound to be flaws in my knowledge, but for the most part, i know my stuff. Your right, most people today don't know what went on back then. It seems especially relevent today as the US and co. are in a fight against tyranny and oppression, just as we were back then. It's a shame that the only people who know the horrors and hardships of the War are dieing off quite rapidly now.
Fri 28/06/02 at 10:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Nice to see someone who know's their history, and to think most people these days forget what went on in WW2, one of the most important battles of recent time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.