GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My site-What do you think?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/05/02 at 13:53
Regular
Hey everyone check out my site @

please reply with what you think

:*:AJ:*:
Thu 16/05/02 at 20:44
And thus quoth the great Lukey:

What Is a Hacker?

The Jargon File contains a bunch of definitions of the term `hacker', most having to do with technical adeptness and a delight in solving problems and overcoming limits. If you want to know how to become a hacker, though, only two are really relevant.

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term `hacker'. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

The hacker mind-set is not confined to this software-hacker culture. There are people who apply the hacker attitude to other things, like electronics or music -- actually, you can find it at the highest levels of any science or art. Software hackers recognize these kindred spirits elsewhere and may call them "hackers" too -- and some claim that the hacker nature is really independent of the particular medium the hacker works in. But in the rest of this document we will focus on the skills and attitudes of software hackers, and the traditions of the shared culture that originated the term `hacker'.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people `crackers' and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word `hacker' to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

If you want to be a hacker, keep reading. If you want to be a cracker, go read the alt.2600 newsgroup and get ready to do five to ten in the slammer after finding out you aren't as smart as you think you are. And that's all I'm going to say about crackers.

Now read it again.
Thu 16/05/02 at 20:36
Thu 16/05/02 at 20:29
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Thu 16/05/02 at 20:17
Pity about the media definition of hacker. There really are 14 year olds out there who live on EFNet and boast of the number of boxen they've r00ted. These are the same "hackers" the FBI runs around locking up and the media moans about.

Real hackers are the people who created the infrastructure and community of the early internet. The people who had the foresight to write TCP/IP in circa fecking 1960. Go read the RFC. People who use Linux/BSD/Solaris because they love Unix, not because they hate Windows and/or Microsoft's corporate monopoly of the x86 platform.

It's a pity that the most vocal members of the "hacker" community are those who are least qualified to represent it.

Anyhow.. follows is my favourite definition of a hacker. It's cool..

"One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations."
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hackers are cool. I'd love to be a hacker and work on Apache/GIMP or something, but I don't know enough C.
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:28
No they don't man hackers still call themselves hackers but they stress that black hat hackers are not hackers but crackers. Notice.
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
ffs...

NOT ALL HACKERS DO THAT!!!

In fact, very little hackers do. You're using Apache right now - that was created by hackers, and it's precisely BECAUSE of hackers trying to find loopholes and actually telling people about it that it's so good!
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:25
after what i have just said you are still having a go you are so gay.
If freeserve is so bad then what should i, someone who can't afford to buy a web address, use to make my webpage
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:24
Regular
"How Handy."
Rob, i know the difference between a white hat and a black hat thanks, and not very many white hats like being called hackers, for the reason that hacking is illegal and destructive, any half decent white hat will call themselves a "Security Consultant".
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:22
Regular
"How Handy."
hack·er1 Pronunciation Key (hkr)
n. Informal
One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file.

You realise the severity of the crimes hacker's commit?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.