GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading/future proofing (for a while)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/08 at 21:33
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I want to build a new computer. Or rather, I need to keep up with current technology in my computer, as well as wanting to play a few newer games. But the problem is that my motherboard doesn't really support many new technologies. It has no PCI-E slots, only two SATA ports and not enough USB ports for my needs even though I already have a 7-port USB hub.

So I want to upgrade my motherboard. Upgrading the motherboard isn't like upgrading other parts where you just remove the part in question and replace it with a newer one. The motherboard governs everything connected to it, especially in my case where new mobos support completely different connectors which aren't supported by pretty much all of my current hardware. I also need a firewire port, seeing as I'm studying Interactive Media.

So, really, multiple graphics cards is just an extra thing which is currently interesting me for the gaming (and perhaps production) side of things. Is it really worth it? How exactly does SLI or CrossFire work? If I set up two cards with, say, 512MB of onboard RAM together, is that like having a 1GB card? What things od I have to consider and how much of a benefit will it be?

I'm currently looking at two motherboards: the GA-MA770-S3 and the GA-MA790FX-DS5.

Also, whilst I'm at it, is AM2+ a better choice than LGA775? I want my computer to be relatively future proof, seeing as the current one only lasted about 3 years before needing this upgrade due to lack of hardware support. I intend to install a quad core processor, but I may not do that straight away. I think, instead of jumping in straight to quad core, I might settle for a dual-core processor and then upgrade when quads become a bit cheaper and more abundant.

Many thanks for any input. :)
Wed 13/02/08 at 15:40
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
All Intel P4's Core2's and Quads use socket 775 and most new boards support all these processors so I don't think you can say they are incompatible. You can get a Q6600 OEN (G0 stepping) for about £151 (I bought one), which can be clocked to well over 3GHz on air cooling (stock speed is 3.4GHz).

Crossfire and SLI basically divide the GPU workload between the 2 cards. In theory this should get you twice graphics performance but in reality it gives you about a 2/3 performance boost.

Ati have just release the 3780 X2, which is basically 2 crossfired 3870's for abot £280. Seems good.
Wed 13/02/08 at 14:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think you have some outdated ideas, Twain.
Its been a loooooong time since Intel CPUs were twice the price of similar performing AMD processors. The reality is that Intel wins on price/performance at the higher end of the market now. The same with Nvidia, its success is built on giving more "bang for your bucks" not producing the faster cards. Again though it depends what price ranges you're interested in.
Wed 13/02/08 at 14:17
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
The reason for me favouring ATI over NVidia and AMD over Intel is because, although Intel and NVidia are better, I don't feel that they're that much better to warrant paying twice as much as I would for an ATI card or AMD CPU of similar specs.

Although I don't intend to go quad core yet (I intend to first start with a cheap dual-core, then upgrade later) I have noticed that the current quad-core AMD Phenoms cost about £130-180, where Intel Core 2 Quad CPUs of similar clock speed go for about £160 upwards. Also, Intel CPUs aren't compatible with each other. That's my main gripe. ie. a specific Intel socket is for a specific Intel CPU, whereas AMD's design means that I can upgrade to an AM3 quad core in the future.

The new version of USB isn't really a problem for me - it'll be backwards compatible.
Wed 13/02/08 at 09:53
Regular
I'd go for the 790FX motherboard for performance reasons, it'll be pricier. Both of them support the latest AMD Phenom class processors BUT after having used AMD for a good 10 years, my next build will be intel. We use them at work and, configured properly, they run rings around AMD's efforts. They are much better for raw video work as well. We do a fair bit of that here (As well as rendering and high res graphical design).

As for future proofing, you can't do it. Processors change every few months, new motherboards are needed almost constantly to keep up with new standards. And with new wireless stuff going mainstream soon, as well as a new version of USB - you are always going to miss something. Which you can usually add later with a PCI-e card.

Best thing to do is not worry about it. Buy something new today and it'll do you for a year or two. You'll be able to upgrade it for 3-4 years to come and then you should be looking at brand new again. There are things you can transplant to your new comnputers such as hard drives and optical drives. But they are extremely cheap as well.

SLi/Crossfire works by linking 2 (identical) cards together. You usually get between a 70% and 80% performance increase over just one card. If you have the money - go for it. But you get decent enough performance out of a top end nvidia card. Again I've always been an ATI/Radeon gamer but this time round I'm going nVidia as they do perform constantly better and the drivers are much more stable.

Crysis seems to be the reference for card performance these days and even quad-sli'd nvidia 8800s can't run it at top whack at a quick frame rate.
Tue 12/02/08 at 21:33
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I want to build a new computer. Or rather, I need to keep up with current technology in my computer, as well as wanting to play a few newer games. But the problem is that my motherboard doesn't really support many new technologies. It has no PCI-E slots, only two SATA ports and not enough USB ports for my needs even though I already have a 7-port USB hub.

So I want to upgrade my motherboard. Upgrading the motherboard isn't like upgrading other parts where you just remove the part in question and replace it with a newer one. The motherboard governs everything connected to it, especially in my case where new mobos support completely different connectors which aren't supported by pretty much all of my current hardware. I also need a firewire port, seeing as I'm studying Interactive Media.

So, really, multiple graphics cards is just an extra thing which is currently interesting me for the gaming (and perhaps production) side of things. Is it really worth it? How exactly does SLI or CrossFire work? If I set up two cards with, say, 512MB of onboard RAM together, is that like having a 1GB card? What things od I have to consider and how much of a benefit will it be?

I'm currently looking at two motherboards: the GA-MA770-S3 and the GA-MA790FX-DS5.

Also, whilst I'm at it, is AM2+ a better choice than LGA775? I want my computer to be relatively future proof, seeing as the current one only lasted about 3 years before needing this upgrade due to lack of hardware support. I intend to install a quad core processor, but I may not do that straight away. I think, instead of jumping in straight to quad core, I might settle for a dual-core processor and then upgrade when quads become a bit cheaper and more abundant.

Many thanks for any input. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.