GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The most over-rated games of recent times"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 16:36
Regular
I'm in an inexplicable huff, so I'm going to rant about the following in a suitably cynical and grumpy fashion:

Metal Gear Solid 2: OK it IS a very good game. But it is extremely linear, to the point of almost being a passive experience. The cut-scenes are too frequent and too lengthy, and in my opinion, unforgiveably pretentious. The MGS2 storlyine is just pants as far as I'm concerned: Melodramatic and uninvolving. If I pay £45 for a game, I want £45 of game to play, not a crap film with a few interactive bits. And as for the save-game structure, it's utterly appalling... it means that if you get shot, or discovered by a guard, you don't bother trying to escape or even put up a fight, it's easier to let yourself die and restart a few moments previously.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Again it is essentially a well-made game. But I have a real problem with it... how the buggery-flip do you score a goal? I'm so lame at this game it defies belief. Even when I play against a total novice, who plays as Switzerland, I still lose. It makes me want to cry.

Devil May Cry: I really didn't see what all the fuss was about in this game. OK the graphics are smart, but I just found the gameplay dull. Lots of wandering about, lots of loading screens, samey environments, samey gameplay. It's one of those games you only play because you want to finish it. I prefer to play games because I enjoy playing them rather than such misplaced obligation.

SSX Tricky: I just thought this game was pretty mediocre. For a snowboarding game, there was insufficient attention to snow-related details. Those mountains may have well as been tarmac. Whilst the presentation of SSX Tricky has been called 'Undeniably hip', I would happily deny that statement. It's not hip. And that in itself is quite an achievement, snowboarding is inherently hip... unless you fill the game with spandex and a half-baked soundtrack. I'm waiting for that Gamecube follow up to 1080... now there's a REAL snowboarding game.
Thu 09/05/02 at 20:20
Regular
"That's right!"
Ant wrote:
> Deus Ex was brilliant too, I can't see how some of you don't like
> it.

-------

I'll help you

*opens Ant's eyes*

There, you can see why we don't like it now
Thu 09/05/02 at 20:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
MGS2 was fantastic in every way apart from the plot. Anyone who talks about "linear" is talking crap, most games are linear in one way or another. GTA3 is the only game I really know of that isn't.

And anyway, the missions on MGS2 aren't exactly dull. It wasn't as good as MGS, but still a wonderful game, especially in terms of gameplay.

Deus Ex was brilliant too, I can't see how some of you don't like it.

Zone Of The Enders - not brilliant, but enjoyable. Looking forward to the sequel.

Devil May Cry was probably over-rated, yes.
Thu 09/05/02 at 19:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Silent85 wrote:
> I agree with luigi's mansion the games graphics look like the n64's
> aswell

The graphics are superb, and the game in my opinion has not been hyped up that much - Rogue Leader has more, and that is a superb game - but I think, although not a classic, it is superb, and is not as over rated as Halo or MGS2.
Thu 09/05/02 at 19:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
illzen wrote:
> MoJoJoJo and Cyclone,
> cheers for the word of warning: I was contemplating a blind purchase
> of Deus Ex cos of all the ranting I'v heard about it... i shall have
> to consider that more carefully now!

By all means play it before you buy, I'm just saying it is very ver lame in my opinion.
Thu 09/05/02 at 19:16
Regular
MGS2 is the most over rated game ever
Thu 09/05/02 at 18:02
I agree with luigi's mansion the games graphics look like the n64's aswell
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:56
Regular
Devil May Cry, MGS2, Luigis Mansion are three games which I feel were over-rated more than any other. I dis-liked DMC a lot and although I loved MGS2 it was too quick to complete and Luigis Mansion, lol this is a game for 1 year olds and is possibly the most disappointing game of recent times!
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:48
Regular
"95% organic"
MoJoJoJo and Cyclone,
cheers for the word of warning: I was contemplating a blind purchase of Deus Ex cos of all the ranting I'v heard about it... i shall have to consider that more carefully now!
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:45
Regular
"95% organic"
Gabbo wrote:

> Just because you're not very good at a game, doesn't mean it's crap. I
> think Pro Evolution is a great game, it just requires practice. I'm
> quite good at it now, but I rarely win convincingly. That's what's so
> great about the game, it's a challenge. I would much rather it be
> difficult than winning about 8-0 all the time.

!!

Yes, I do appreciate that Gabbo... there was more than an element of tongue-in-cheek about that remark...

Even I wouldn't suggest that a game is crap because i'm no good at it... But a game can be crap if it's too difficult.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:39
Regular
"That's right!"
Urgh, I hated Deus Ex. I took it back to Game for a refund just a week or so after I bought it. Terrible, terrible game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.