GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The most over-rated games of recent times"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 16:36
Regular
I'm in an inexplicable huff, so I'm going to rant about the following in a suitably cynical and grumpy fashion:

Metal Gear Solid 2: OK it IS a very good game. But it is extremely linear, to the point of almost being a passive experience. The cut-scenes are too frequent and too lengthy, and in my opinion, unforgiveably pretentious. The MGS2 storlyine is just pants as far as I'm concerned: Melodramatic and uninvolving. If I pay £45 for a game, I want £45 of game to play, not a crap film with a few interactive bits. And as for the save-game structure, it's utterly appalling... it means that if you get shot, or discovered by a guard, you don't bother trying to escape or even put up a fight, it's easier to let yourself die and restart a few moments previously.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Again it is essentially a well-made game. But I have a real problem with it... how the buggery-flip do you score a goal? I'm so lame at this game it defies belief. Even when I play against a total novice, who plays as Switzerland, I still lose. It makes me want to cry.

Devil May Cry: I really didn't see what all the fuss was about in this game. OK the graphics are smart, but I just found the gameplay dull. Lots of wandering about, lots of loading screens, samey environments, samey gameplay. It's one of those games you only play because you want to finish it. I prefer to play games because I enjoy playing them rather than such misplaced obligation.

SSX Tricky: I just thought this game was pretty mediocre. For a snowboarding game, there was insufficient attention to snow-related details. Those mountains may have well as been tarmac. Whilst the presentation of SSX Tricky has been called 'Undeniably hip', I would happily deny that statement. It's not hip. And that in itself is quite an achievement, snowboarding is inherently hip... unless you fill the game with spandex and a half-baked soundtrack. I'm waiting for that Gamecube follow up to 1080... now there's a REAL snowboarding game.
Fri 10/05/02 at 21:47
Regular
"um..."
MGS2 was overrated I think.

Luigi's mansion? my cousin has it and he has completed it he has only had GC a couple of days.
Fri 10/05/02 at 21:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Both metal gear solid games were poo.

Right, that proves it, you are insane.
Fri 10/05/02 at 20:21
"period drama"
You bought MGS2 for £45 quid?
Fool.
Fri 10/05/02 at 20:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
garbe123 wrote:
> Cyclone, what are you on about? Halo hyped, lol! Hype means the game
> did not live up to expectations and don't even get me going on how
> good Halo is, Luigis Mansion is pathetic and so easy to finish.
>

Luigis Mansion is not pathetic - It is beautiful, innovative, and although very short, is still a pretty damn good game, but at least Nintendo are not printing its review scores all over its adverts. In EVERY SINGLE Halo add, there is the 10/10 Edge review - and in the TV ad, the Official XBOX mag review - Of course its the best game ever - It was reviewed in the official mag! It is not the best game ever, and although good, in my opinion, it does not deserve the hype it has got.
Fri 10/05/02 at 20:08
Regular
"That's right!"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Deus Ex was good

-------

No it wasn't
Fri 10/05/02 at 19:42
Regular
"accidental superher"
ZOE -i found it really quite dull...only two different types of standard enemies...very limited number of moves...just had to go back and forth collecting these data pod things...ends VERY QUICKLY...i was in shock when the credits started rolling.

James Bond: AUF -a very mediocre and dull game...FAR TOO SHORT...didn't really have to use the gadgets (and when you did it was so obvious what you had to do).

MGS2 -on reflection this is far too over rated even though it is good...
Thu 09/05/02 at 21:34
Regular
Cyclone, what are you on about? Halo hyped, lol! Hype means the game did not live up to expectations and don't even get me going on how good Halo is, Luigis Mansion is pathetic and so easy to finish.

I agree I did not like Black and White one bit, I feel that the game was very boring and did not ever take off! Deus Ex is amazing on PC but very dissappointing on the PS2, it can not handle the power needed to run the game, on PC it is truly an epic!
Thu 09/05/02 at 21:20
Regular
Deus Ex was good [we had to WAIT to aim it suckd i want my money back what! i didnt pay damn], Black and White sucked, and Skies of Arcadia rules.
Thu 09/05/02 at 21:17
"Darkness, always"
Both metal gear solid games were poo.

Black and White is THE most over-rated game EVER.
Thu 09/05/02 at 21:08
Luigi's Mansion was definitly hype, mainly by the magazines and was a complete let down. The gameplay was ok, but got boring quickly and the entire game lasted only a few hours.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.