GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The most over-rated games of recent times"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 16:36
Regular
I'm in an inexplicable huff, so I'm going to rant about the following in a suitably cynical and grumpy fashion:

Metal Gear Solid 2: OK it IS a very good game. But it is extremely linear, to the point of almost being a passive experience. The cut-scenes are too frequent and too lengthy, and in my opinion, unforgiveably pretentious. The MGS2 storlyine is just pants as far as I'm concerned: Melodramatic and uninvolving. If I pay £45 for a game, I want £45 of game to play, not a crap film with a few interactive bits. And as for the save-game structure, it's utterly appalling... it means that if you get shot, or discovered by a guard, you don't bother trying to escape or even put up a fight, it's easier to let yourself die and restart a few moments previously.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Again it is essentially a well-made game. But I have a real problem with it... how the buggery-flip do you score a goal? I'm so lame at this game it defies belief. Even when I play against a total novice, who plays as Switzerland, I still lose. It makes me want to cry.

Devil May Cry: I really didn't see what all the fuss was about in this game. OK the graphics are smart, but I just found the gameplay dull. Lots of wandering about, lots of loading screens, samey environments, samey gameplay. It's one of those games you only play because you want to finish it. I prefer to play games because I enjoy playing them rather than such misplaced obligation.

SSX Tricky: I just thought this game was pretty mediocre. For a snowboarding game, there was insufficient attention to snow-related details. Those mountains may have well as been tarmac. Whilst the presentation of SSX Tricky has been called 'Undeniably hip', I would happily deny that statement. It's not hip. And that in itself is quite an achievement, snowboarding is inherently hip... unless you fill the game with spandex and a half-baked soundtrack. I'm waiting for that Gamecube follow up to 1080... now there's a REAL snowboarding game.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:36
Regular
"95% organic"
I'm in an inexplicable huff, so I'm going to rant about the following in a suitably cynical and grumpy fashion:

Metal Gear Solid 2: OK it IS a very good game. But it is extremely linear, to the point of almost being a passive experience. The cut-scenes are too frequent and too lengthy, and in my opinion, unforgiveably pretentious. The MGS2 storlyine is just pants as far as I'm concerned: Melodramatic and uninvolving. If I pay £45 for a game, I want £45 of game to play, not a crap film with a few interactive bits. And as for the save-game structure, it's utterly appalling... it means that if you get shot, or discovered by a guard, you don't bother trying to escape or even put up a fight, it's easier to let yourself die and restart a few moments previously.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Again it is essentially a well-made game. But I have a real problem with it... how the buggery-flip do you score a goal? I'm so lame at this game it defies belief. Even when I play against a total novice, who plays as Switzerland, I still lose. It makes me want to cry.

Devil May Cry: I really didn't see what all the fuss was about in this game. OK the graphics are smart, but I just found the gameplay dull. Lots of wandering about, lots of loading screens, samey environments, samey gameplay. It's one of those games you only play because you want to finish it. I prefer to play games because I enjoy playing them rather than such misplaced obligation.

SSX Tricky: I just thought this game was pretty mediocre. For a snowboarding game, there was insufficient attention to snow-related details. Those mountains may have well as been tarmac. Whilst the presentation of SSX Tricky has been called 'Undeniably hip', I would happily deny that statement. It's not hip. And that in itself is quite an achievement, snowboarding is inherently hip... unless you fill the game with spandex and a half-baked soundtrack. I'm waiting for that Gamecube follow up to 1080... now there's a REAL snowboarding game.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:43
Regular
If anyone says Shenmue I'll hammer brand new pencils down their ears!
No wait, that's sounded a bit over-violent.... I'll make them eat grass.

Seriously, I agree with what you said about MGS2.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:50
Halo for X-Box.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:56
Regular
Smooth Criminal wrote:
> Halo for X-Box.

Har har. How do you know? Have you played it from start to finish?
No, I didn't think you had.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Resident Evil code Veronica X
This game was hyped up quite a bit by PS2 magazines before its release, and when it finally did come onto the market, it was hailed as the best resi title yet. When i got my copy I found myself a bit dissapointed. It is a good game, but not the classic resi I was expecting. Its basically Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 but with a nice looking 3D engine. Same plot (umbrella accident causing zombie and mutant outbreak), same puzzles, same cheesey voice acting and same bloody cut-scenes every time you open a door. I haven't played on it in a while.

Z.O.E.
I bought this game not because of the playable demo of MGS2, but because it was supposed to be a good mech style action game. It is a good mech style action game while it lasts, which isn't very long. Aswell as being far too short, the gameplay tends to be too repetative. To keep the game going longer the developers have you flying from one place to another defeating enemies and trying to save civilians. Thats it thats all you do. The only real challenge you get from time to time is fighting the boses, but that doesn't make up for the lack of any innovative gameplay.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:08
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
illzen wrote:
> Pro Evolution Soccer: Again it is essentially a well-made game. But I
> have a real problem with it... how the buggery-flip do you score a
> goal? I'm so lame at this game it defies belief. Even when I play
> against a total novice, who plays as Switzerland, I still lose. It
> makes me want to cry.

Just because you're not very good at a game, doesn't mean it's crap. I think Pro Evolution is a great game, it just requires practice. I'm quite good at it now, but I rarely win convincingly. That's what's so great about the game, it's a challenge. I would much rather it be difficult than winning about 8-0 all the time.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Perhaps not rectn but Deus Ex.

I loathe this game.

Everbody says it has 'freedom' and 'depth' yet you are herded around small linear environments that all look the same (and are all at night, no matter wher in the world you go) and it has the dullest enemies/guns/missions ever!
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:39
Regular
"That's right!"
Urgh, I hated Deus Ex. I took it back to Game for a refund just a week or so after I bought it. Terrible, terrible game
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:45
Regular
"95% organic"
Gabbo wrote:

> Just because you're not very good at a game, doesn't mean it's crap. I
> think Pro Evolution is a great game, it just requires practice. I'm
> quite good at it now, but I rarely win convincingly. That's what's so
> great about the game, it's a challenge. I would much rather it be
> difficult than winning about 8-0 all the time.

!!

Yes, I do appreciate that Gabbo... there was more than an element of tongue-in-cheek about that remark...

Even I wouldn't suggest that a game is crap because i'm no good at it... But a game can be crap if it's too difficult.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:48
Regular
"95% organic"
MoJoJoJo and Cyclone,
cheers for the word of warning: I was contemplating a blind purchase of Deus Ex cos of all the ranting I'v heard about it... i shall have to consider that more carefully now!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.