GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Review: NOM (Yes! I am reviewing the Official Nintendo Magazine!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/10/00 at 22:21
Regular
I bought it the other day, not for the first time, but for the first time in a while.

It's a nice magazine with a good lay out. It could do with smaller screenshots and a bit more room for info but it's not too bad.
After looking at it's guide on how to get the cheats on
Perfect Dark it proved that the people who write it play games thoroughly and know what theyre talking about.
Also, as the magazine is official, they're always first with news and screenshot, especially with the Gamecube (which is why I bought it).
So why aren't they the best then?
Well it seems that they've aimed the magazine at the stereotypical age of an N64 gamer (6-12 year olds!) and are completely biased against other systems.
Not only do they not admit that the PS and DC are still great if not as good as the N64, they've even started name calling.
Yes, I'm afraid so. Sony Playstation Two? Fony Greystation Poo.
Sega Dreamcast? Sega Dreampants! This is extremely sad and worse still, all the people who write in have adapted these poor nicknames too!
The other thing wrong with it is that you can't fully trust game reveiws. The worst game still gets over 50% while a good number of poor games get over 80%. They still know which games are better than which but the average scores are way higher than they should be.

I suppose biased reviews and jokes are what you would expect from any official magazine. The official Playstation magazine even claimed that the N64 is dead!

SO:

Pro's- Most up to date coverage. First with news and inside
information. Well worth £2.95. Great for tips and they know
what they are talking about. Generally good quality.
You normally get a free gift.

Con's- Biased and childish (with stupid name calling!) and doesn't
rate some games as low as it should. The free gifts aren't
really all that good.

OVERALL: More or less what you'd expect from an official games magazine. If you want more accurate reviews look elsewhere.
If you want the latest news come here. Apart from that, pretty average.
And NOM writers, please, please, please STOP THE NAME CALLING!
Mon 23/10/00 at 18:52
Actually, Ive met the writers at NOM magazine when I visited CVG magazine, they both are made in the same place. I would expect that they find your comments insulting Jake, cuase they are quite talented people. I do agree that the magazine is aimed at a younger age group, but what are Nintendo consoles aimed at? The young. Enough said.
Mon 23/10/00 at 18:35
Regular
Sorry but they said it's mainly for South Park Fans, they even said it for SP Rally.
Mon 23/10/00 at 18:31
I'm sorry, Edgy, but appeal to all ages is something that NOM does worst of all. It's aimed at 7-year-olds, because the combined mental age of the writers is about 7.

Gamesmaster are not 'biased' they just like the PlayStation better.

And there is not copyright on naming other consoles - Before NOM's layout change in '98, they named other consoles all the time, and no other official mags resort to name calling. They just think its hilarious. Ha ha.
Mon 23/10/00 at 18:18
Regular
They gave South Park 64 90%.

NINETY PERCENT!!!!!

On the other hand, PC Gamer gave the game 8%.

That's more like it.
Mon 23/10/00 at 18:15
Regular
"I like cheese"
Edgy, do you work for NOM for something??? It's probably a good mag, but calling consoles names is very childish, immature, stupid, silly, annoying, I could go on and on. I probably wouldn't buy Official UK PSX Mag if it was biased, but it's not. For instance, 4-4-2 Soccer, 1/10. But anyway, if they stopped calling consoles names, it would make it a better magazine by far. And also, it would make a lot of people respect you more if you didn't repeat those names on here. No offence towards you, just stop saying the names.
Mon 23/10/00 at 13:47
No Im not saying its a bad magazine, I personally have bought it from the start, but these Official magazines do seem to be pretty biased, and Nintendo is a big culprit. Look at the scores for in house Nintendo games, youll see what I mean.
Mon 23/10/00 at 13:46
Why should Nintendo Official Mag stop being like they are?

They're great!

It appeals to all ages, has great screeshots and accurate news!

If you want to know the most biased mag try Gamesmaster! They hardly ever mention Nintendo (apart from issue 100) and mostly mention Playstation, whoops, sorry Greystation!
Mon 23/10/00 at 13:16
The reason why they use that name calling as you call it is because of copyright issues of being Nintendos officical UK magazine- they arent allowed for some reason o publish any rival company brandnames. So then in the interests of being very biased, names like Greystation Poo seem to be published in the magazine.
Sun 22/10/00 at 22:37
Regular
Uh, my point is..... oh never mind i'll email them and see what happens. Back up would be nice.
Sun 22/10/00 at 22:34
Regular
I know that it has stupid name calling and street talk writing and seems like it's aimed at kids, it's always first with the news and gamecube info (out of the paper mags anyway, Digitiser the teletext mag will never be beaten in this area!)
It's also just as good as any other magazine when it comes to tips (even I could get some of the rock hard cheats on perfect dark after reading it!)

It's not a bad magazine, it just has to grow up and stop giving away too much about game plots in previews!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.