GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Review: NOM (Yes! I am reviewing the Official Nintendo Magazine!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/10/00 at 22:21
Regular
I bought it the other day, not for the first time, but for the first time in a while.

It's a nice magazine with a good lay out. It could do with smaller screenshots and a bit more room for info but it's not too bad.
After looking at it's guide on how to get the cheats on
Perfect Dark it proved that the people who write it play games thoroughly and know what theyre talking about.
Also, as the magazine is official, they're always first with news and screenshot, especially with the Gamecube (which is why I bought it).
So why aren't they the best then?
Well it seems that they've aimed the magazine at the stereotypical age of an N64 gamer (6-12 year olds!) and are completely biased against other systems.
Not only do they not admit that the PS and DC are still great if not as good as the N64, they've even started name calling.
Yes, I'm afraid so. Sony Playstation Two? Fony Greystation Poo.
Sega Dreamcast? Sega Dreampants! This is extremely sad and worse still, all the people who write in have adapted these poor nicknames too!
The other thing wrong with it is that you can't fully trust game reveiws. The worst game still gets over 50% while a good number of poor games get over 80%. They still know which games are better than which but the average scores are way higher than they should be.

I suppose biased reviews and jokes are what you would expect from any official magazine. The official Playstation magazine even claimed that the N64 is dead!

SO:

Pro's- Most up to date coverage. First with news and inside
information. Well worth £2.95. Great for tips and they know
what they are talking about. Generally good quality.
You normally get a free gift.

Con's- Biased and childish (with stupid name calling!) and doesn't
rate some games as low as it should. The free gifts aren't
really all that good.

OVERALL: More or less what you'd expect from an official games magazine. If you want more accurate reviews look elsewhere.
If you want the latest news come here. Apart from that, pretty average.
And NOM writers, please, please, please STOP THE NAME CALLING!
Sat 06/10/01 at 21:07
Nowadays I just read EDGE magazine.

It is, without doubt, the most professional and serious of all games mags. This won't make it everyone's cup of tea, but I find that its technical sections, as well as the best interviews you will find in a mag, make it great! Their 100th issue cover was drawn by Shigsy, and have far, far more interviews with him than NOM ever will.

Above all though, EDGE's reviewing system is great. Marks out of 10. A 5 out of 10 (ie exactly in the middle) mean exactly that. The game is average, and not more that what was expected. For example, GT3 got a 6/10. Not because it is bad, but because it just did what was expected of it. Same games modes, with a few more tracks, a few more cars, and better graphics.

A score of 10/10 on the other hand means that the game has reached the pinnicle of gaming. It's like getting 40/40 from Famitsu... something that only about 3 games have acheived.

HOW on earth can NOM give almost every game over 90%?! This means that the games are almost perfect... lacking in almost nothing! Innovative gameplay, great graphics, great story, great music! Like any of the games are like that! (bar the odd Zelda game!)

Logan
Sat 06/10/01 at 20:06
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I am very happy about the mags I get now (narrowed down to 4 altogether)

CVG, very low price at £2.80 covers every consoles/gaming platform and is quite uptodate.
PC GAMER, I know a lot of you lot get it and it is very honest and has some wicked Demos and Utilities.
PRACTICAL INTERNET, Not many of you that I know get or read this but it gives you the latest software like Interent Explorer 6 (which I am using now ;-D)and gives some useful web design and computer tips.
NGC (N64 Mag), Well most of you know about this.

In my mind all of these are better then NOM as it is good for reading up quickly on something and is reasonably priced but overall not the best of mags!!

ZP
Sat 06/10/01 at 20:00
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yer there are a handful of Mags that do that frequently!!
Sat 06/10/01 at 19:42
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
Dan_uk wrote:
> I bought it the other day, not for the first time, but for the first time in a
> while.

It's a nice magazine with a good lay out. It could do with smaller
> screenshots and a bit more room for info but it's not too bad.
After looking at
> it's guide on how to get the cheats on
Perfect Dark it proved that the people
> who write it play games thoroughly and know what theyre talking about.
Also, as
> the magazine is official, they're always first with news and screenshot,
> especially with the Gamecube (which is why I bought it).
So why aren't they the
> best then?
Well it seems that they've aimed the magazine at the stereotypical
> age of an N64 gamer (6-12 year olds!) and are completely biased against other
> systems.
Not only do they not admit that the PS and DC are still great if not
> as good as the N64, they've even started name calling.
Yes, I'm afraid so. Sony
> Playstation Two? Fony Greystation Poo.
Sega Dreamcast? Sega Dreampants! This is
> extremely sad and worse still, all the people who write in have adapted these
> poor nicknames too!
The other thing wrong with it is that you can't fully trust
> game reveiws. The worst game still gets over 50% while a good number of poor
> games get over 80%. They still know which games are better than which but the
> average scores are way higher than they should be.

I suppose biased reviews
> and jokes are what you would expect from any official magazine. The official
> Playstation magazine even claimed that the N64 is dead!

SO:

Pro's- Most up
> to date coverage. First with news and inside
information. Well worth
> £2.95. Great for tips and they know
what they are talking about.
> Generally good quality.
You normally get a free gift.

Con's- Biased
> and childish (with stupid name calling!) and doesn't
rate some games as
> low as it should. The free gifts aren't
really all that
> good.

OVERALL: More or less what you'd expect from an official games
> magazine. If you want more accurate reviews look elsewhere.
If you want the
> latest news come here. Apart from that, pretty average.
And NOM writers,
> please, please, please STOP THE NAME CALLING!

you know you said that the people that write in call other consoles names , like dreampants etc , i was thinking , and maybe NOM just edit these letters before they put them in so that names like Fony Greystation poo and dreampants are what are in the letters instead of the real names. you never know !!
Sat 06/10/01 at 17:40
Regular
MY subscription to NOM is almost over might get PC Game instead.
Sat 06/10/01 at 17:25
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
lol @ Title....

NOM is quite good... okay so their biased as hell, and they're crap @ games... I mean who would lose to Er-No @ Goldeneye... :D

I prefer Edge... I know it isn't all Nintendo, but their reviews are plentiful, and it's good to know what the enemy is doing about games... :D
Sat 06/10/01 at 17:24
Regular
Two very extreme views.

Personally, I'd have given South Park about 42%.

It's not really any good but semi playable in the multiplayer.

Then again, the PC version probably didn't even have the multiplayer...

PC Gamer was right then.
Sat 06/10/01 at 16:16
Regular
I think it was NOM that gave South Park about 90%. PC Gamer gave basically the same game 3%. That's why I prefer PC Gamer a bit more.
Sat 06/10/01 at 15:19
Ant wrote:
> Ant wrote:

And you know
> what?? I still do all of these things! :D

How did we guess?
Sat 06/10/01 at 12:06
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I stopped buying that damn thing when they adopted those pathetic names and calling things "awesome". I suddenly realised they were terribly childish and I was ruining my reputation by reading it.

The last straw was when I got that damn South Park after they called it "awesome". Never again...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.