GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Review: NOM (Yes! I am reviewing the Official Nintendo Magazine!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/10/00 at 22:21
Regular
I bought it the other day, not for the first time, but for the first time in a while.

It's a nice magazine with a good lay out. It could do with smaller screenshots and a bit more room for info but it's not too bad.
After looking at it's guide on how to get the cheats on
Perfect Dark it proved that the people who write it play games thoroughly and know what theyre talking about.
Also, as the magazine is official, they're always first with news and screenshot, especially with the Gamecube (which is why I bought it).
So why aren't they the best then?
Well it seems that they've aimed the magazine at the stereotypical age of an N64 gamer (6-12 year olds!) and are completely biased against other systems.
Not only do they not admit that the PS and DC are still great if not as good as the N64, they've even started name calling.
Yes, I'm afraid so. Sony Playstation Two? Fony Greystation Poo.
Sega Dreamcast? Sega Dreampants! This is extremely sad and worse still, all the people who write in have adapted these poor nicknames too!
The other thing wrong with it is that you can't fully trust game reveiws. The worst game still gets over 50% while a good number of poor games get over 80%. They still know which games are better than which but the average scores are way higher than they should be.

I suppose biased reviews and jokes are what you would expect from any official magazine. The official Playstation magazine even claimed that the N64 is dead!

SO:

Pro's- Most up to date coverage. First with news and inside
information. Well worth £2.95. Great for tips and they know
what they are talking about. Generally good quality.
You normally get a free gift.

Con's- Biased and childish (with stupid name calling!) and doesn't
rate some games as low as it should. The free gifts aren't
really all that good.

OVERALL: More or less what you'd expect from an official games magazine. If you want more accurate reviews look elsewhere.
If you want the latest news come here. Apart from that, pretty average.
And NOM writers, please, please, please STOP THE NAME CALLING!
Sat 21/10/00 at 22:21
Regular
I bought it the other day, not for the first time, but for the first time in a while.

It's a nice magazine with a good lay out. It could do with smaller screenshots and a bit more room for info but it's not too bad.
After looking at it's guide on how to get the cheats on
Perfect Dark it proved that the people who write it play games thoroughly and know what theyre talking about.
Also, as the magazine is official, they're always first with news and screenshot, especially with the Gamecube (which is why I bought it).
So why aren't they the best then?
Well it seems that they've aimed the magazine at the stereotypical age of an N64 gamer (6-12 year olds!) and are completely biased against other systems.
Not only do they not admit that the PS and DC are still great if not as good as the N64, they've even started name calling.
Yes, I'm afraid so. Sony Playstation Two? Fony Greystation Poo.
Sega Dreamcast? Sega Dreampants! This is extremely sad and worse still, all the people who write in have adapted these poor nicknames too!
The other thing wrong with it is that you can't fully trust game reveiws. The worst game still gets over 50% while a good number of poor games get over 80%. They still know which games are better than which but the average scores are way higher than they should be.

I suppose biased reviews and jokes are what you would expect from any official magazine. The official Playstation magazine even claimed that the N64 is dead!

SO:

Pro's- Most up to date coverage. First with news and inside
information. Well worth £2.95. Great for tips and they know
what they are talking about. Generally good quality.
You normally get a free gift.

Con's- Biased and childish (with stupid name calling!) and doesn't
rate some games as low as it should. The free gifts aren't
really all that good.

OVERALL: More or less what you'd expect from an official games magazine. If you want more accurate reviews look elsewhere.
If you want the latest news come here. Apart from that, pretty average.
And NOM writers, please, please, please STOP THE NAME CALLING!
Sat 21/10/00 at 22:46
Regular
Does it have their email address in the mag?
Sat 21/10/00 at 23:00
Regular
It might do on the letters page
Sun 22/10/00 at 01:20
Hmmm... What's next ???
Reviewing reviews ????
Sun 22/10/00 at 13:57
You're absolutely rigt about NOM. I used to buy it back in its hey day when it didn't use childish name calling of other companies and consoles, and when they didn't seem so biased. I recently bought a copy, only to find that the majority of games they reviewed got around 80% or more. I know that the n64 is good, but maybe not as good as they are making out. Its a shame, they used to be my top mag, but now I usually just buy Gamesmaster or Edge magazine instead.

M.
Sun 22/10/00 at 16:01
Most console specific magazines are like this thoughor worse like playstation power.I never buy the things now , as info is all I'm inerested in I can get it online and it's often more up to date and not so distorted by some ones editorial policy. One exception was Total control but I have been back very long and can't find a copy does it still exist?
Sun 22/10/00 at 17:18
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Unfortuantely, Rapide Publishing, the guys who put the criminally, short-lived Total Control out, are now sadly defunct.

It sucks! Total Control was a great publication. Better than most of the dross out there today.

Bleeders
http://www.dcguide.co.uk
Sun 22/10/00 at 17:37
Totally Out Of Control I'd say. I don't think you're suppose to plug yourself on this site.
Sun 22/10/00 at 18:28
Regular
"I like cheese"
Is it me or did I start a discussion on this same subject a while ago. Well, my memory has just answered for me.
Sun 22/10/00 at 19:08
Regular
(I once tapped into your subconscious.)
Oh yeah? What did you find out?
(The meaning of every dream, thought, and vision you've ever had.)
(And some other things...)
Like what?
(Well, I better not tell you actually.)

Isn't it horrible when your brain hides things from you...

(There are some things we both don't know though... Like where those seven years went.)

That is true... Nothing about that in my subconscious was there?

(No, unfortunatly.)

Humm. Mild amnesia, I think. Thanks for looking anyway.

(Thats ok. Just don't think about it too much.)

Why?

(Because I'll never be able to get back in, if you think about me getting in too much.)

Err.. ok.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.