GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Story Competition 18"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/01/08 at 12:03
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Okay, here goes. Short Story Competition Number Eighteen.

The theme is Gorland

What? I hear you say. Gorland? Yes, Gorland, a neutral word which could mean anything ... a person's name, the name of a place, a thing (big or small), anything whatsoever. You decide. I'm trying to make this as open as possible.

So the theme is Gorland, use it how ever you will. The one rule is that "Gorland" dominates your story, which, by the way, can be in any format of fiction you desire, viz. prose, poetry, play, or any other fictitious mode that I can't right now bring to mind. Even something like a fake news report or a bogus biography ...

Closing date: around Valentine's Day.
Mon 21/01/08 at 21:20
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Everpain wrote:
> So the theme is there is no theme?

It's true.

Obviously some may simply replace the Tom, Dick or Harry of an already written story with Gorland, which is fair enough, but by putting the theme into the writer's hands, so to speak, interesting results might occur ... maybe. The themes are usually only very loosely stuck to anyway.

Actually, when I think about it, I don't really know what I was thinking, but what the hell, Gorland it is, big G or little g. Let's just say extra marks for an interesting/surprising use of Gorland.
Mon 21/01/08 at 19:46
Regular
"What's basketball?"
EDIT- Ignore this. My mouse has this strange habbit of sometimes clicking twice when I only click once...
Mon 21/01/08 at 19:46
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Interesting. I'll see what I can do.
Mon 21/01/08 at 19:18
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Very interesting, I've got a few ideas bubbling.
Mon 21/01/08 at 19:09
Regular
"Author of Pain"
So the theme is there is no theme?
Mon 21/01/08 at 16:23
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I'll be giving this one a go methinks...

Now, what can Gorland be for me...
Mon 21/01/08 at 13:00
Regular
"not dead"
Ooh, different. I likes it.
Mon 21/01/08 at 12:35
"possibly impossible"
Stickied.

Nice idea, BG. Now to work on the story...
Mon 21/01/08 at 12:03
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Okay, here goes. Short Story Competition Number Eighteen.

The theme is Gorland

What? I hear you say. Gorland? Yes, Gorland, a neutral word which could mean anything ... a person's name, the name of a place, a thing (big or small), anything whatsoever. You decide. I'm trying to make this as open as possible.

So the theme is Gorland, use it how ever you will. The one rule is that "Gorland" dominates your story, which, by the way, can be in any format of fiction you desire, viz. prose, poetry, play, or any other fictitious mode that I can't right now bring to mind. Even something like a fake news report or a bogus biography ...

Closing date: around Valentine's Day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.