GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Intelligence of a forum user"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/04/02 at 09:45
Regular
A bunch of guys at my school have started saying that the only people using these forums are sad retarded loners with no friends.

Obviously I can't judge on whether or not you guys have friends other than your associates on the forum, but the least we could do is prove we are not retarded.

The only way I think of proving our non-retardedness is to show our amazing exam results on here. Then I can show them this thread and laugh as they crumble before me.

I'll start if you want - just confess to the results of whatever big exams you have taken recently:

Year 9 SATS - 8 in maths, 8 in english, 7 in science

GCSEs - 4 A*s, 7 As 1 B.

Your turn.
Thu 25/04/02 at 15:13
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
doublezero wrote:
> Hey, Wolfcastle, if you're so clever, why did your last movie suck?

He's working on a new movie called Undercover Nerd. I've seen a clip of it and it rocks! The bullies pick on him and he throws one of them through the stomach of the other one. Best movie ever. Made me laugh out loud when I saw it on the Simpsons last Sunday.
Thu 25/04/02 at 11:53
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Rainier Wolfcastle wrote:

> I will have you know that movie did NOT suck! I mean, it was just me
> in front of a brick wall for 2 and a half hours! so what if it cost
> $80 million? "Have you ever noticed how men always leave the
> toliet seat up? dats the joke...". Movie making at it's best.

Hey Rainier..how DO you sleep at night?

*In fake Arnie accent* "on a big bed of money."
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
Mr. Happy wrote:
> er-no wrote:
> *nods head*
>
> Touche.
>
> Don't worry, wasn't aimed at you... it was a general attack on
> exam-culture in schools.. makes me angry, but I'm in my last year of
> it so what the hey.

Don't worry, I didn't think it was aimed at me, I hate the exams as well.

One of the reasons I pick the subjects with loadsa coursework. Will help my A Level grades no end!

Bloody stupid GCSE's were so crap though.
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:40
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
er-no wrote:
> *nods head*
>
> Touche.

Don't worry, wasn't aimed at you... it was a general attack on exam-culture in schools.. makes me angry, but I'm in my last year of it so what the hey.
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:33
Regular
"everyone says it"
*nods head*

Touche.
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:27
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Exams do not measure intelligence. They measure your ability to repeat thoroughly hackneyed opinions in a coherent structure. You could train a monkey to do that. Possibly.

Nor do IQ tests measure intelligence; psychometric testing has numerous pitfalls and most likely provide an indication of intelligence, rather than a gilt-edged, iron-clad 100%-proof seal of intelligence.

The problem with education is that it's not about education anymore. EVERYTHING is now centred on the exam. You don't learn about a subject anymore; you learn from a syllabus of what will be contained on the exam. That is not education. Sure you need some measurement of achievement at school, but exams are not the answer, especially when they have come to engulf the education system.

I think the answer lies in the American system, or something close to it.. You have your performance measured over a year and get a grade average. That means that teachers could teach whatever the hell they pleased, and set you homeworks and tests to measure your intelligence. It's a far more effective way of doing things than setting exams every year.

If you want to know why exams are a bad idea then think about this. A study was carried out in which 300 teachers were given the same (essay-based) exam paper at the start of a year, the marks collected varied from the highest grade to the lowest grade. If this was not enough the same 300 teachers were given the same exam paper to mark at the end of the year, and 33% of them gave a different mark. Essay-based exams are useless measurements of intelligence.
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
11 GCSE's.

Cannot remember the grades.. mostly A's and B's.

Grades don't mean anything on that persons intelligence. Although I did come in the top 2% in the country in the IQ test... which was niec.

:P
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:05
Regular
"everyone says it"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> And I also own the best game ever too, which makes me better than all
> of you. Bar the ones that own it too. :0)

Secret of Mana is the best game ever...

...you finally have it then ey?
Thu 25/04/02 at 00:02
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Hm...fed up of exams at the moment, even my dad's complaining that we have to many.."far easier to test than it is to teach".

Year 9 SATS: 8, 8, 8

Year 10 exams (Past GCSE papers): 5 As, 5 A*s
Wed 24/04/02 at 22:55
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> And I also own the best game ever too, which makes me better than all
> of you. Bar the ones that own it too. :0)

Didn't know you owned MGS, Grix.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.