GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hmmm, how does that work?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 15:32
Regular
Ok.

Micorsoft announce Xbox price drop on friday, compensating us early buyers with free games at a joypad.

Ninties run around screaming:

"Xbox has failed! Hahahahaha! Goo-goo ga-ga".

Nintendo announce GC price drop BEFORE the bloody thing has even been released.

Ninties run around screaming:

"GC is the best! We get it cheaper! Hahahaha! Goo-goo ga-ga".

Now, am I the only one that thinks that's a bit stupid? Xbox price comes down because it made good business sense.

GC was the cheapest console anyway, why reduce the price?

Could it be that Nintendo realise that the Xbox is a threat? Sony have already said that they may have to release the PS3 earlier as the Xbox is s***-hot.

I put it to you that Nintendo are scared crapless of the Xbox price drop.

On friday, you could have bought a console just as powerful (if not lsightly more) than the GC, with a top quality DVD player, for only £40 more than the price of the GC.

So they dropped the price. Because they're scared.

Goo goo ga ga.
Mon 22/04/02 at 20:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Wow. You're absolutely right.
Mon 22/04/02 at 19:42
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Sorry to be stupid but:
>
> Er... GameCube price drop?

http://www.cube-europe.com/news/101946212972634.html
Mon 22/04/02 at 19:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sorry to be stupid but:

Er... GameCube price drop?
Mon 22/04/02 at 19:26
"High polygon count"
er-no wrote:
> Excellent post by Wookie a bit down the page!

Even if I did put "price increase" instead of "price decrease"? :-)

Whooops!
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:39
Regular
"everyone says it"
Excellent post by Wookie a bit down the page!

:)
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:26
Regular
And just for the record....
Your Honour wrote:
>
> As I've said elswhere in this topic, it annoys me when biased people
> such as yourself....

I'm a Ninty at heart, but it wasnt my blind faith which led to me getting a PS2 with 16 games.
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:11
Regular
Semajal wrote:
> i can write very quickly yet can still spell with about 97% accuracy.

Chrisps anyone?
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:05
"High polygon count"
Without taking sides, I think it's safe to say that Microsoft have obviously not had the sales they were expecting. A few less sales wouldn't have been a problem or forced a rushed price increase; so even if sales could generally be considered average to good, it's safe to assume that they are sstill significantly below Microsoft's predicted/expected targets.

The price reduction was obviously forced rather than planned, because there was no significant advertising about it until two days later. The only advert I saw on the actual day the reduction was announced was a small box-out at the bottom of a PC World advert - more of a 'stop press' than a national campaign.

Had the reduction been planned, there would almost certainly have been major advertising of the fact that it was cheaper on the day it was announced.

And yes, the same applies to Nintendo, who I believe have been forced to reduce their price because of the Xbox reduction.

So far, Sony have announced no such reduction for the PS2 - but then (and this isn't intended as a biased comment) they don't really need to, as all figures so far have shown that neither Gamecube or Xbox have made any significant impact on PS2 sales.

Of course, I'm sure Sony will be monitoring the situation, and will take action if the price reductions do begin to look like making an impact.
Mon 22/04/02 at 16:55
Regular
I say X-box sales are crap And I'm Biased?

Thats not being biased. Thats stating the facts. Although it is hard to find some actual figures. But if sales were really good then surely Microsoft would have released some figures. All I can even see inn news stories is that the weekly sales figures have dropped to 4 figure numbers...And the DC is nearly selling the same amount of consoles per week in Japan...

This is all I could find on the subject anyway...

"The company now hopes to ship between 3.5 million and four million units by the end of June, a major reduction from the 4.5 million to six million it had aimed for."

from yahoo news
Mon 22/04/02 at 16:51
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Lighten up YH... :)

I mean, it was two notables that started todays bout of arguments. Dont take it out on Ortega :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.