GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why pick on Bill?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/04/02 at 02:00
Regular
Why does everyone pick on Bill Gates, he has done heaps for the modern world, he founded Microsoft and gave people one of the best operating systems ever to be used freely. His company has created some great games like Midtown Madness, and if it weren't for him, we wouldn't all have the easy PC gaming systems we have today.

So why does everyone appear to pick on him?

(Note: This isn't meant as an offence, particularly to people who think well of him, so please don't hate me!!!)

Ice Raider
Thu 25/04/02 at 10:31
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Jive wrote:

>
> PLEASE TELL ME AT WHAT POINT IS AN MS OPERATING SYSTEM FREE?

Dear oh dear, the console lovers strike again. So befuddled were you in your smug little rant that it was YOU infact who failed to read the original message properly. Now, read it properly this time like a good little boy.

Ice Raider wrote:
>Why does everyone pick on Bill Gates, he has done heaps for the modern
world, he founded Microsoft and gave people one of the best operating
systems ever to be used freely.

If you notice there, he says that the operating sytems are USED freely, not AVAILABLE freely. There is a huge difference between the two.

> In future check your statements properly before you make them!

Pot calling the kettle black ye PS2 devotionist.
Thu 25/04/02 at 10:56
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I think people generally pick on Bill Gates because they are jealous of his success. He has become so rich because he and his cronies developed the operating system that was needed at the time. They also marketed it in a way that they were able to make a virtual monopoly.

It might not have been the best, the most reliable or the most stable but it appealed to the masses and helped to shift millions of computers across the world and made them the everyday item they are today.

However much of a rich little geek we all think he is, he is responsible for shaping much of how the world works today.
Thu 25/04/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
nh wrote:

> However much of a rich little geek we all think he is, he is
> responsible for shaping much of how the world works today.

At last, a sensible Sony fan who actually UNDERSTANDS the situation. :)
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Yeah I love consoles, so what?

I also love PC's, otherwise I wouldn't be using one at the moment and I also wouldn't spend my time looking after a network of over 200 computers as me job!

Anyway back to the point, "use freely" ok may have missed the point, I can see that and if that's what he meant then I apologise to Ice Raider. But to use a computer "freely" you still have to pay for the goddam licence to run the O/S so your still not using it freely.

That's the point I was trying to get across, maybe the wrong way, still if he comes back and says that was his point then I'll apologise.

Yes Bill Gates is responsible for the major growth in computers in the world as we know it today although the amount of money that not only he but also his friends and the Microsoft Corporation have made in that time and will continue to make in the future is what gets most peoples backs up.

If he did something revolutionary like release the source code for parts of windows or maybe their file formats and give all other companies who produce software a level playing field then maybe just maybe Bill Gates could become the God like status that I think he is trying to achieve.

Until such time I think he and Microsoft will continue to be berated by all parties but either love them or hate them you and I will still continue to use thier products.
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:16
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Oops forgot to say, I haven't used my PS2 for about a month now, been too busy with ADSL and using Microsoft products.

Eg Win2k, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Office 97 etc etc
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Hehehehehe, don't mind me Jive, I jus love having a good ol' rant.
But incidentally, you STILL haven't got the point. The point lying in Windows' freedom of use, not in actual Price freeness. But there's not much point continuing this as we've probably both missed the real point and are probably making spectacles of ourselves.
No hard feelings?

Brew :-)
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:49
"Darkness, always"
I have only one thing to say on the whole "hate Bill Gates" thing

SUCCESS BREEDS CONTEMPT
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:40
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Brew wrote:
> No hard feelings?
>
> Brew :-)

Hehe, yeah well I know what you mean, no hard feelings taken mate :-)

Nothing like making complete fools of ourselves while other stand by and laugh.....oh well no change there then!
Wed 01/05/02 at 00:02
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
Brew wrote:
> Jive wrote:
>
>
> PLEASE TELL ME AT WHAT POINT IS AN MS OPERATING SYSTEM FREE?
>
> Dear oh dear, the console lovers strike again. So befuddled were you
> in your smug little rant that it was YOU infact who failed to read the
> original message properly. Now, read it properly this time like a
> good little boy.
>
> Ice Raider wrote:
> >Why does everyone pick on Bill Gates, he has done heaps for the
> modern
> world, he founded Microsoft and gave people one of the best operating
>
> systems ever to be used freely.
>
> If you notice there, he says that the operating sytems are USED
> freely, not AVAILABLE freely. There is a huge difference between the
THANKYOU!!!
THANKYOU!!!
THANKYOU!!!
> two.
>
> In future check your statements properly before you make them!
>
> Pot calling the kettle black ye PS2 devotionist.
Wed 01/05/02 at 00:10
A quick comment. I have used Linux many times, but fail each time to see it's charms. The main point is that it simply does not run quick enough. How can Linux developers claim that Linux is faster at running apps than Windows? Total b*ll*cks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.