GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When the master returns..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 19:16
Regular
....how will it be improved enough to be classed as a true Sequel?

*All reader’s faces look blank*

I mean the new Pro Evo that will be released later this year…not the new ISS.

Anyway, to my point. Pro Evo Soccer is widely regarded as the best and most realistic football game out there and the series has been since it was first out. But Pro Evo was hailed as the game that is the closest thing we will ever really get to real football on a console, everyone said that, even me. So if this is so, how will Pro Evo 2 be able to reach much higher heights? Going by what has been said about Pro Evo it would seem that this is impossible, sure the game can be improved upon, all the usuals, graphics, sounds, the dire menus and so on, but these are hardly big things are they. For a true sequel to be much better it needs to take the game to new heights, not stepping up a little.

Pro Evo already has a superb game engine in it, you cant really fault that *unless you’re a Fifa player and you think its too slow for you* so there isn’t going to be much change with that in the new game. So this got me thinking… if this is the case, and Pro Evo 2 does a Fifa act on us will we all think its Konami cashing in and not doing there job as it seems that there isn’t much new?

For me, it’s a strange one, I cant wait for a new version of my favourite game of all time on PS2, any improvements on the game over Pro Evo would really come as a good thing, but I cant see them being able to do all that much to it, meaning that there wont be much difference to it than the previous version. So in the end, it might not be a worthy purchase.

Of course it will still sell many games though, the name Pro Evo will sell many copies anyway, and ill probably buy the game anyway if its only a little improved over Pro Evo, but that’s just me.

But my question is, if it does come out, and there isn’t much they have done to improve the game on a big scale like so many people expect…will the game be a failure from a gamers point of view…not a sales point of view?
Mon 22/04/02 at 23:14
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Yeh theres nothing 'major' that can be done to the game, unless of course you can get onto the pitch and be in it? :D

The Mite of the Neo...
Mon 22/04/02 at 23:03
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Ok, some good ideas there, i just skimmed through a few of them, but one thing struck me, yeah there all very good ideas and something the game would really be improved on if they were used. But the thing is, theres nothing here that i think would truely seperate the new game from the old, most of the ideas are small tweaks here and there, splash of pixel paint here and that bits fine...you know, that sort of thing.

Theres not many ideas that would truely take the game to a new level, so my point is, has Pro Evo already reached its gameplay limits just about in its first appearence on the PS2?

Scary thought aint it.
Mon 22/04/02 at 22:33
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
devo wrote:
> And Ipswich Town ;-).

---

Tell me that you're joking.

:D
Sat 20/04/02 at 11:25
Regular
Well I probably wont have any money to get it when it comes out but my Brother probably will get it. (I know it's not that important) But I hope they put better music on it!! :D
Sat 20/04/02 at 10:35
Regular
Nice post pro, i think that not a great deal will be improved on Pro Evo 2 but the makers said they are concentrating on making the players shirts better which shall be interesting, i personally wont be getting another football game because i cant see the point in having two, i had a few on the PSone but never played on the others so i will just stick with the one i have.
Fri 19/04/02 at 12:35
Some more (mainly aesthetic) -

Import your face onto a player.

Ref and assistants.

Stretchers, flares and bog roll. (no not like an episode of The Sweeney)

Record commentary.

Full strip customisation.

Players get muddy.

More weather options.

Ability to sell, as well as buy, players.

Training to improve players stats.

More control of player positioning on free kicks and corners.

A really cool option (though kind of pointless admittedly) just occured to me. The ability to record your own fan chants. Pro Evo with 'The referee's a w***er' would be fantastic.

Playing 1950s matches with a Cholmondley-Warner style commentary.

And Ipswich Town ;-).
Fri 19/04/02 at 10:04
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I am a big fan of Pro Evo (The game !) and although I think it is ace I am not thinking that I will have to get the sequel when it comes out.

I think the only thing that would tempt me is if they were able to licence the club teams so I could play with my favourite (Soon to be Nationwide) team.

I cant see that the gameplay will change that much and to shell out another 35 / 40 quid for maybe an extra dribble or passing option just would not seem worth it.
Fri 19/04/02 at 01:39
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Oh I forgot to mention maybe a possibility of playing 5 a-side matches and indoor tournaments and how about having some better training modes like in David Beckham Soccer that game has superb Training modes.

Hell I moan too much

maybe I should develop this game...

cyas

:D
Fri 19/04/02 at 01:37
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Hey Pro, nice to see you back

Ive followed the ISS/Pr Evo series for a while now and not looked another game since.

the Pro Evo game for the PS 2 is the best yet and it is difficult to critically evaluate it.

well for Pro Evo 2- how can they improve it?

a few ideas which I thought of were

firstly as already said - the commentry, this is where ISS 2 has succeeded as they have give Alan Parry the job and he is a decent commentator, but I think Pro Evo can go one better if they shel out some cash and give the job to John Motson or Barry Davies.

Another idea is that not all players names are correct in the game such as RobertLarcos (aka Roberto Carlos) and Rivdini (or someting like that- meant to be Rivaldo) I think this is something to do with the copyright or some kind of law which means they cannot use the player's real names - this is something they can correct.

I particulary like the 'Scenario' scetion in footy games soid like it if they included that for example England 0 Scotland 1 freekick to Eng with online few minutes left of the second half - will England make it? its really interesting if the scenario can be done and very enjoyable.

Maybe more skills can be added? i.e. not only the leg over ball trick but maybe kick ups or back flicks or play balls through the legs of opponents just to add to the fun of the game

Finally Online Gaming - I dare you all to take me on :D

Take Care

Neo.
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:18
Don't get me wrong, I love Pro Evo. In fact it's my second favourite game on the PS2, but there are a few obvious ways they can improve.

1) Commentary. Enough said I think.

2) Sometimes (particularly with backheel passes) the player receiving the ball just stands there, despite manic joypad battering. OK, players have response related stats and so on, but methinks there is a gameplay bug here.

3) Online play.

4) A challenge/arcade mode. Something beyond the eleven men a side game.

Though even if it isn't that great an improvement, there will still be plenty of new PS2 owners who will want the latest version, as opposed to the 'old' one. Personally I'm not big on yearly updates. If there have been significant changes made, or it's on a new generation of console, then I might be interested. Otherwise I'm willing to miss out on a great game, albeit only a slightly different one to that I already own.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.