GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When the master returns..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 19:16
Regular
....how will it be improved enough to be classed as a true Sequel?

*All reader’s faces look blank*

I mean the new Pro Evo that will be released later this year…not the new ISS.

Anyway, to my point. Pro Evo Soccer is widely regarded as the best and most realistic football game out there and the series has been since it was first out. But Pro Evo was hailed as the game that is the closest thing we will ever really get to real football on a console, everyone said that, even me. So if this is so, how will Pro Evo 2 be able to reach much higher heights? Going by what has been said about Pro Evo it would seem that this is impossible, sure the game can be improved upon, all the usuals, graphics, sounds, the dire menus and so on, but these are hardly big things are they. For a true sequel to be much better it needs to take the game to new heights, not stepping up a little.

Pro Evo already has a superb game engine in it, you cant really fault that *unless you’re a Fifa player and you think its too slow for you* so there isn’t going to be much change with that in the new game. So this got me thinking… if this is the case, and Pro Evo 2 does a Fifa act on us will we all think its Konami cashing in and not doing there job as it seems that there isn’t much new?

For me, it’s a strange one, I cant wait for a new version of my favourite game of all time on PS2, any improvements on the game over Pro Evo would really come as a good thing, but I cant see them being able to do all that much to it, meaning that there wont be much difference to it than the previous version. So in the end, it might not be a worthy purchase.

Of course it will still sell many games though, the name Pro Evo will sell many copies anyway, and ill probably buy the game anyway if its only a little improved over Pro Evo, but that’s just me.

But my question is, if it does come out, and there isn’t much they have done to improve the game on a big scale like so many people expect…will the game be a failure from a gamers point of view…not a sales point of view?
Tue 23/04/02 at 15:04
Regular
"360: swfcman"
mothballed wrote:

> So Pro Evo, take heart it will be good. Seabass said himself that they
> need a few more years to make it perfect......

Well im glad some one has tried to reassure me. I have no doubts that the next game will be good, you cant really step backwards with Pro Evo can you, ill admit too that yeah, certain aspects of the game do need to be improved with the game play, some of the AI and so on as you mention could be improved a fair bit.

I suppose what i was trying to get across is that, i dont think that there will be as big of a jump between Pro Evo and Pro Evo 2 as there was with ISS Evo and ISS Evo 2 on PS1. All we can say though at this moment in time is...that time will tell, and we will just have to wait...as they also say, good things come to those who wait.

>I think we all know
> you'll be at the front of the queue for PES2. ;-)

Ha, you know me too well. :D
Tue 23/04/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Oh yeh before I forget... How do you do the '1 2s' in Pro Evo? I always have a problem with this.

I don't think the corners are a problem, its just like in real football, you cross the ball in and whoever gets it scores or clears it...!

I think they should include 'ole's' as in through the legs skill and crowd should say 'ole'

god.. im sad :D
Tue 23/04/02 at 12:42
Yeah, another bugbear are crosses. You can run down the touchline, and even with the greatest strikers in the world, which you have positioned up field with an attacking strategy, you'll quite often be looking to cross to no one. OK, so that happens in real football, but to me it seems to happen a lot. Maybe I'm just cr@p ;-).
Tue 23/04/02 at 12:00
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Ok, some good ideas there, i just skimmed through a few of them, but
> one thing struck me, yeah there all very good ideas and something the
> game would really be improved on if they were used. But the thing is,
> theres nothing here that i think would truely seperate the new game
> from the old, most of the ideas are small tweaks here and there,
> splash of pixel paint here and that bits fine...you know, that sort of
> thing.
>
> Theres not many ideas that would truely take the game to a new level,
> so my point is, has Pro Evo already reached its gameplay limits just
> about in its first appearence on the PS2?
>
> Scary thought aint it.

Hey Pro Evo.....I normally seek out your opinion here mainly cos your named after the best game on the PS2 and you seem to have your head screwed on. However, I assume you must be having a bad day.
Although PES still amazes (scored a double deflected shot last night! - never get that in FIFA {spits}) there is room for vast improvements. Firstly, don't underestimate what quality, comprehensive commentary will do for the game. When the commentary matches your fancy footwork or skyrocketed shot, your involvement in the game will be massively enhanced. There are times at the moment when the motion capture lets the game play down, ie you know where the opposition is going to pass it but you can't move your player to intercept it. The AI needs more work....you receive the ball, make a couple of turns to protect it, look around for support a no-one is making a run. Also, there is the simple fact that you are still running about on rails, albeit 16 rails, but rails just the same. When Seabass gets to grip with the subtleties of the analogue sticks the game could be truly amazing. Add these changes to a major overhaul of the master league system, practice section etc and PES will be better beyond our imaginations. So Pro Evo, take heart it will be good. Seabass said himself that they need a few more years to make it perfect......I think we all know you'll be at the front of the queue for PES2. ;-)
Tue 23/04/02 at 11:19
But then again, so would Jon Pertwee.
Tue 23/04/02 at 11:15
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Tom Baker would be able to run faster than at least three of our current defenders !!!
Tue 23/04/02 at 11:01
Well I heard that George Burley has signed up Tom Baker for next season, and is trying to construct a small robot dog from cereal packets.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:49
"High polygon count"
nh wrote:
> **waits for Wookiee's response**

You'd need a time machine - or your own Tractorboys version of Groundhog Day!
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:47
Dear Konami

We love your Pro Evolution Soccer game on the PS2, but feel it is missing one vital factor (or maybe that should be tractor), Ipswich Town FC. Due to the recent introduction of the National Grid to Suffolk, we believe there is a large untapped market waiting for your pure gaming goodness. OK so we may be relegated at the end of this season, but we will be back.

devo

PS. Please kick Chris Chapman in the nads the next time you see him.
Tue 23/04/02 at 09:44
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
AfroJoe wrote:
> devo wrote:
> And Ipswich Town ;-).
>
> ---
>
> Tell me that you're joking.
>
> :D

Hey - we are deadly seriuous !!!!

Now if we could re-create the 1978 Cup Final and whip Arsenal over and over and over again ......

**waits for Wookiee's response**

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.